What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

As I recall, plot line is very much the same. A lot of sexual stuff was removed to meet the then movie code requirements, as I recall. William Faulkner was one of the screen writers. I used to have a DVD set with two different versions of the film. Apparently, there was a 1945 version, that was re-cut and released in 1946 to feature the Bogie and Bacall scenes more heavily, but that made the film harder to follow. Again, I do not think it matters. As I recall, I found the later version more compelling, but the 1945 version was great, too.

The book was the first Chandler book to feature Phillip Marlowe.

The background of the book and movie are both well worth reading up on. Both were significant pieces of work and highly influential on things that followed.

I didn’t notice them if there were any

Plot holes or plot differences?

The is sort of a famous plot hole described in the following from IMDB:

"While working on the script, writers William Faulkner and Leigh Brackett couldn't figure out from the novel who murdered a particular character. [My recollection is that the character was the chauffer.] So they phoned Raymond Chandler, who angrily told them the answer was right there in the book. They shrugged and returned to their work. Chandler soon phoned to say that he looked at the book himself and couldn't figure out who killed the character, so he left it up to them to decide. In the original cut, shown to the armed services, this question is resolved; in the film as released, it isn't."

Plot holes or plot differences?

The is sort of a famous plot hole described in the following from IMDB:

"While working on the script, writers William Faulkner and Leigh Brackett couldn't figure out from the novel who murdered a particular character. [My recollection is that the character was the chauffer.] So they phoned Raymond Chandler, who angrily told them the answer was right there in the book. They shrugged and returned to their work. Chandler soon phoned to say that he looked at the book himself and couldn't figure out who killed the character, so he left it up to them to decide. In the original cut, shown to the armed services, this question is resolved; in the film as released, it isn't."
So who killed the chauffeur? As far as I can see the version I watched didn’t settle it. Marlowe spun his theory about it, but nothing ever came of the chauffeur’s killing. I would have said Geiger’s chauffeur, but he thought Brody had killed Geiger.

I do not recall. I am going to have to rewatch the earlier version, if I stiil have it!
It’s funny how script writers seem to think viewers won’t notice. The very first time I watched knives out, I realized there was a problem with the timeline. I can’t recall what it was now, but it involved one of the characters being at the police station and another place at the same time.

IP Man 4: The Finale

Attachments

• IPMAN4.jpg
    IPMAN4.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 0
Call of the Wild. The new one with Harrison Ford and a CGI dog.
Pure cheese. One reviewer called it “Call of the Mild”
I think it’s a Disney film, which would explain it.
I gave up about halfway through.

I did a dvd double feature of Willard and Ben.

Really the most notable about Ben
was Michael Jackson singing for the closing credits.
At the age of twelve, he was amazingly good.

I am not watching movies regularly. The last movie I watched was several months ago when I decided to watch together with my children the documentary "Bowling for Columbine" by Moore. I really wanted them to see it.

Top Bottom