What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

I just got finished watching The Irishman. Great cast. Great director. Decent script. But throughout the movie I had one very major issue with it. DeNiro, Pesci, Pacino, all were too freaking old to play the people they were playing. You can't take an old guy, like 76 and 79 years old, and have them play people who are supposed to be much younger, which is exactly what they did for this movie. Pacino was slurring his words throughout. Pesci just looked really freaking old. The role was definitely a departure for him as a reserved and calm crime boss as opposed to the lunatic in Goodfellas. But I had trouble believing that the characters they were playing looked anything like these guys did back in the day they were supposed to be portrayed. I know the movie got lots of rave reviews. I mean the entire cast was full of tons of great actors and actresses. The acting was fantastic. I just couldn't get past their ages. Is that bad? Am I a bad person? Am I not really getting the movie? I mean, Hoffa disaappeared when he was only 62. Most of the film he was supposed to be much younger. And he's being played by a guy looks every bit of 79 years old. Pesci looked the part when Bufalino was in prison at the end. But he looked way too old during the younger years. For some reason DeNiro looked a little younger. But still, not young enough. I wasn't convinced during the early years when his daughters were young. Anyway, that's my takeaway on this one.

I just got finished watching The Irishman. Great cast. Great director. Decent script. But throughout the movie I had one very major issue with it. DeNiro, Pesci, Pacino, all were too freaking old to play the people they were playing. You can't take an old guy, like 76 and 79 years old, and have them play people who are supposed to be much younger, which is exactly what they did for this movie. Pacino was slurring his words throughout. Pesci just looked really freaking old. The role was definitely a departure for him as a reserved and calm crime boss as opposed to the lunatic in Goodfellas. But I had trouble believing that the characters they were playing looked anything like these guys did back in the day they were supposed to be portrayed. I know the movie got lots of rave reviews. I mean the entire cast was full of tons of great actors and actresses. The acting was fantastic. I just couldn't get past their ages. Is that bad? Am I a bad person? Am I not really getting the movie? I mean, Hoffa disaappeared when he was only 62. Most of the film he was supposed to be much younger. And he's being played by a guy looks every bit of 79 years old. Pesci looked the part when Bufalino was in prison at the end. But he looked way too old during the younger years. For some reason DeNiro looked a little younger. But still, not young enough. I wasn't convinced during the early years when his daughters were young. Anyway, that's my takeaway on this one.
I had the same issue. They had computer graphics to try and erase the visible signs and youth coaches to teach these old people how to move their bodies like they were younger, but it didn't work for me either. I would have preferred something like they did in Once Upon A Time In America, where they just find young people similar enough in appearance and have them play the young parts.

I had the same issue. They had computer graphics to try and erase the visible signs and youth coaches to teach these old people how to move their bodies like they were younger, but it didn't work for me either. I would have preferred something like they did in Once Upon A Time In America, where they just find young people similar enough in appearance and have them play the young parts.

Once Upon A Time In America is one of my favorite movies. I lost count how many times I've watched it. Not as many as The Godfather I and II but close. I was hoping The Irishman would become one of those movies for me but it's just not to be. And if they had coaching to teach them how to move their bodies like young people, I wasn't seeing it. There was one scene where DeNiro was fighting some guy and the guy ends up on the ground and DeNiro is kicking him. DeNiro is holding one arm in a way only an old person would hold their arm and the kicking itself looked old as well. I probably wouldn't feel this way if the "old" factor wasn't so prevalent. But it was throughout the entire movie and frequently. I don't know what Scorcese was thinking. Well, he's old too so.....

Lincoln. Daniel Day-Lewis has an unrivalled ability to disappear into a character. This becomes clear with the entrance of Tommy Lee Jones, an actor I adore but he is none other than Tommy Lee Jones, a trait shared by Al Pacino and too many others to mention. Force of personality. It's what makes a great film star.

As for the movie itself, I have to say that I've been rather disappointed by Steven Spielbergs more recent films and this is no exception. It just feels like something's missing.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
The Personal History of David Copperfield

So I went to see this movie, suspend your disbelief, in an actual MOVIE THEATER! All was done with social distancing and masks and so on. Swanky right? Turns out you can now watch moving pictures on a BIG screen.

The movie was fine. Well acted, gorgeously costumed and set. I do enjoy the occasional "Big Dress" movie. What stood out, and was completely refreshing, was the complete lack of racial "continuity" in the cast. It did not matter at all what the colour of an actor/actresses skin was in order to fill a roll in the story. I cannot think of a movie (please point them out if I am missing them) where it was done so thoroughly and seamlessly as it was done here. My initial thought was "wait, she's black and she is... Oh yeah, it really doesn't matter to the +×%*ing storyline and I am really enjoying this movie regardless/but kind of because of the complete disregard of skin colour of the actors".

Please forgive my rambling and lack of eloquence. I really did enjoy seeing a movie in the theater again. I also really feel it was an important mechanism of the film to transcend racial lines and expectations considering the times.

Top Bottom