What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Saw Parasite and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this weekend. Both excellent. The latter Oscar-worthy for sure. I am not saying it should win. I have not seen a number of the other films.

I guess I was wrong. I personally did not think Parasite was Oscar-worthy in any year, although I liked it a lot. I wonder if anyone really thought it was best picture, or whether this was an inside deal. Maybe some anti-Trantino bias. I do not love thse award programs.

Ad Astra, netflix dvd. Glad I didn't see this at the theater. Kind of silly at times. Uneven. Random imagery was good.

I guess I was wrong. I personally did not think Parasite was Oscar-worthy in any year, although I liked it a lot. I wonder if anyone really thought it was best picture, or whether this was an inside deal. Maybe some anti-Trantino bias. I do not love thse award programs.

I don't waste my time on them. It had gotten so that the only films I watched was with the kids, and now that they are grown, I just don't watch new ones much. I can't get excited about awards for flicks I don't bother watching.

I am not sure this is a golden age for movies as I think it sure is for TV. But I thought there were some excellent movies released this year. Parasite, Once Upon a Time, and Ford Versus Ferarri, among them. I did not see 1917. I thought The Joker was pretty good. All well worth the bother of seeing if one likes movies, at least at home, as I have.

Just saw Parasite.
It will make you think!
Dark, lots of metaphors, a compelling view of poverty.
Even with subtitles it pulls you in and holds you.
A violent scene near the end and subsequent scenes will make you think.
Worth seeing.

Parasite.
I saw it blind (and the title threw me). It got on my radar as soon as I heard Bong Joon-ho had another movie out. The man can make movies.

Barking Dogs Never Bite (2000)
Memories of Murder (2003)
The Host (2006)
Mother (2009)
Snowpiercer (2013)
Okja (2017)

Legion

Staff member
Kajaki: kilo two bravo. A British war film, very good, but gory. Based on true events, it is hard watching, but deserves to be better known than it is.

I saw it blind (and the title threw me). It got on my radar as soon as I heard Bong Joon-ho had another movie out. The man can make movies.

The Host (2006)
Mother (2009)
Snowpiercer (2013)
Okja (2017)
It’s the first movie of his that I’ve seen. I’m not much of a movie guy. My wife wanted to see it. Plus our neighbor died yesterday and she wanted to see a movie.
Today is his service and burial.

The Host (2006)
Mother (2009)
Snowpiercer (2013)
Okja (2017)

I admit I am coming around on this film. I admit it is a great watch. Sorry for the rant.

I did not realize he did Snowpiercer. Great movie.

Yesterday cold, rainy, miserable which fit my mood trying to get over some form of winter crud so I immersed myself in a string of favorite older movies: Advise and Consent (can't beat Charles Laughton's performance), The Sun Also Rises (can't beat an older Errol Flynn's performance) and The Razor's Edge (Tyrone Power, Herbert Marshall and Clifton Webb are superb). These films got my mind off crud, at least for several hours. Now for today.....?

Watchable, dark drama, based on true events. Well acted and well made, I felt there was something missing to make it truly memorable.

This was more interesting.

An original, slightly too long, darkly funny coming of age drama, with a nice turn by the brilliantly versatile Paddy Considine.

Last night I watched Shot Caller. Annoyingly, I missed the first 2 or 3 minutes but I don't think I missed too much. Jaime Lannister goes to prison and gets mean. Recommended.

"I Daniel Blake" last Saturday evening with my girlfriend on television in German.

When the movie first came out, I dragged her into it with the original English soundtrack and German subtitles.

I watched this last night.

Bizarre, violent, gory, funny. A little flat in places but really picks up about half way through.

Top Bottom