What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Finished the Irishman (broke it into two parts). It was a lot more emotional than I anticipated. My wife found it dull.
For those who enjoyed Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99, I'd also recommend Dragged Across Concrete. It's a slow build movie, but I found it gripping from the same writer/director of the previous two mentioned.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Went to see Ford vs. Ferrari on Saturday.

Really well made "based on a true story" movie.

If you research the true story (and actually followed the events as they were happening back in the 1960s ;)), the character that is depicted as the evil corporate slug wasn't that much of a bad guy.

So the movie takes some "liberties".

Makes no difference - this is a very good movie. Tense and engaging action. You feel like you are in a GT40.

Definitely worth seeing. :)

Finally finished up The Irishman. It was an OK story...some kind of attempt at an semi-investigative/storytelling thing. I didn’t think it was anything special.

Typical Scorsese...pretty typical for all that group actually.

Not sure I agree with that sentiment, but hey . . . to each their own.

I think it is more a case of "typecasting", ever since Deadpool. Writers/Directors seem to want that bit of sarcastic a**hole from the characters he plays. You see "bits" in the aforementioned 6Underground, but also other films that were pretty good, like Safe house and Hitman's Bodyguard.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not sure I agree with that sentiment, but hey . . . to each their own.

I think it is more a case of "typecasting", ever since Deadpool. Writers/Directors seem to want that bit of sarcastic a**hole from the characters he plays. You see "bits" in the aforementioned 6Underground, but also other films that were pretty good, like Safe house and Hitman's Bodyguard.

Yeah I think you're right, although I dont think anyone could have done Deadpool as well as he did. He does have an energy that fit that role really well.

Oh no . . . I will tolerate an immense amount of Reynolds "phone-ins" so long as I have Deadpool.

Casting-wise, Deadpool is among the Holy Trinity of the MCU, alongside Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man, and Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America.

Last few:

The Art of Racing in the Rain - 8/10. Netflix dvd. Sometimes a few moments can save a movie. This one was saved a couple times lol. At least it's not like a trailer I saw where the dog's expression (and body language!) was c.g.i. modified to me more human like - wth?! Needless to say I will not be seeing that one. The book is excellent.

Richard Jewel. 9/10 A ticket is always sold when Clint directs. His later films have a signature that is recognizable... The Mule, American Sniper, Trouble With the Curve (loved that one!), Gran Torino, etc.

28 Days Later (2002), Danny Boyle - 9/10 Netflix dvd.

proxy.php

Yesterday - Netflix dvd. Kind of alright. I like the director - Danny Boyle. Not keen on full screen smartphone text message exchanges though, or scrolling banners.

Midway - As expected, a c.g.i. fest. Some great Japanese actors who will be recognized. From the opening sponsors, seems like it's a Chinese film. Didn't suck as much as I expected.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019), Marielle Heller - 10/10 One of the top three subway scenes (the other two: ending scene into the credits of The Last Days of Disco (1998), and Crocodile Dundee (1986)). She also directed Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018), which I liked.

Top Bottom