What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Amazing Grace, the Sidney Pollack film of the live recording of the biggest selling gospel album ever by Aretha Franklin at the New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles in 1972. Said to have been held back from release due to "technical difficulties" until 2011, but then as far as I can tell suppressed by Ms. Franklin herself until her death in 2018, after which her family immediately arranged for its release.

This is an incredible document of Aretha performing at her vocal peak, which was some peak, backed by extraordinary singers and musicians. And that is all the critics seem to focus on. But to me this film is loaded with mystery. It is hard to tell whether the film is as it is because of choices Pollack made in filming the 20 or so raw hours of film or in Alan Elliott's editing of it down to 87 minutes. It presents a very remote and affeckless seeming Aretha Franklin, seemingly detached from--never really lookin at--the music director, other musicians and singers except for Rev. Cleveland, and the audience, while she sings profoundly moving material in profound ways with extraordinary precision and skill.

I do not know why there has been little or no discussion of this by the critics, who seem to tout this movie simply as a presentation of incredible music and a record of a truly important recording session. I loved the music, too, but I think I can guess at some of the reasons Aretha brought two separate court actions to bar its release while she was alive, and I am skeptical of those alleged technical difficulties. I cannot recommend this movie as an uncomplex, feel-good music presentation. I would be interested in what others think.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
5cf1d265ddbd7.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This is well worth watching.

The Accountant of Auschwitz (2018) - IMDb

"The children. They are not the enemy, at the moment. The blood inside them, is the enemy." The opening line and the most chilling thing I've ever heard.

He was the only Nazi that came to trial and didnt deny. He admitted he was there and said what was done.

This is his indictment, for killing "at least 300,000 Hungarians."

Indictment.jpg

My mothers parents came to Canada from Hungary during November 1929 because her father saw what was happening. What caught my eye are the dates, May 16 1944 to July 11 1944. My sisters birthday is May 16 and my mothers is July 11.

Currently watching this;

Shoah (1985) - IMDb

It's 9 1/2 hours long and is incredibly in-depth.

"Rim of the World" on Netflix

"Four misfit campers must band together and conquer their fears in order to save the world during an alien invasion."
So, a mix of "Stand By Me", "Independance Day", "The Goonies" and even a bit of "Jurassic Park".
What's not to like?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
"Rim of the World" on Netflix

"Four misfit campers must band together and conquer their fears in order to save the world during an alien invasion."
So, a mix of "Stand By Me", "Independance Day", "The Goonies" and even a bit of "Jurassic Park".
What's not to like?

Oh that looks good, and I love that Mustang...brings back memories. I don't do Netflix or Hulu and such...I don't have the bandwidth or data allowance to do that.

I seem to gravitate towards the family type shows instead of the crap that's shown on the alphabet network channels now days.

A semi-related good one is coming on in a few days, but I've seen it before. It is worth watching again though.

The Longest Day
A great classic. I need to watch it again, been a while.

Saw this at the theater in 3D. Tons of CGI 3D action eye candy throughout. Normally that puts me to sleep, no matter how much I look forward to a movie. Not this one though. They did a good job.

It also pays heavy homage to the Godzilla movies of yesteryear if you know what to look and listen for. Not just the visually apparent stuff or named monsters, but also in terms of a lot of the story vibe and details. Also with certain human characters. Being a classic monster movie and Godzilla nerd I pooped my pants a lot. If you think you'd like it I'd recommend theater 3D. It's that kind of movie.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Saw this at the theater in 3D. Tons of CGI 3D action eye candy throughout. Normally that puts me to sleep, no matter how much I look forward to a movie. Not this one though. They did a good job.

It also pays heavy homage to the Godzilla movies of yesteryear if you know what to look and listen for. Not just the visually apparent stuff or named monsters, but also in terms of a lot of the story vibe and details. Also with certain human characters. Being a classic monster movie and Godzilla nerd I pooped my pants a lot. If you think you'd like it I'd recommend theater 3D. It's that kind of movie.

Oh that looks good. I like the Over the Rainbow theme song.

But Godzilla isn't King...Kong is.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Dang you!

I wanted to see Kong: Skull Island when it came out, but I don't go the theaters anymore since they don't have intermission where you can get a potty break or go get a snack, so I just now ordered the DVD. I'll pop some regular kernel popcorn and dose it with salt and melted butter before I start the Kong movie.

I like the tropical jungle movies...I've seen Mighty Joe Young about three times.

Dang you!

I wanted to see Kong: Skull Island when it came out, but I don't go the theaters anymore since they don't have intermission where you can get a potty break or go get a snack, so I just now ordered the DVD. I'll pop some regular kernel popcorn and dose it with salt and melted butter before I start the Kong movie.

I like the tropical jungle movies...I've seen Mighty Joe Young about three times.

I was just saying this same thing to my wife. I want to see Avengers Endgame, but that movie is way too long to sit through without a bathroom break. Nowadays, 3 hours is not uncommon for a movie length.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've been watching the various Thin Man movies. The series includes about six or seven movies. I have all of 'em in my Vudu stash because both my wife and I enjoy watching them, particularly together. There are not that many movies we both enjoy, especially enough to watch several times over the years. Even the lesser movies in the series are fun for us. The best are great examples of their genre.

Happy shaves,

Jim
MGM, Powell and Loy at their best. Interesting to watch the production values climb over the years, even as the motion pictures themselves became less interesting.

Top Bottom