What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

I Watched Hangover II for the first time. Stupid fun for the sake of laughing away a couple of hours. What I like most about both films is the way they take an entirely plausible circumstance, and then gradually amp things up to absurd levels of improbability, without ever going so far as to make the viewer say, "okay, there is just no way . . ."
That's the very nature of farce. A few years back I went to see Just Go With It, the romantic farce with Jennifer Aniston, Adam Sandler, and (my personal reason for going) Nicole Kidman. (It's a remake of the old Butterflies Are Free film from the late '60s or early '70s with Walter Matthau, Ingrid Bergman, and Goldie Hawn.) It's based on the comic notion that a dentist (a bachelor) asks his long-time nurse to pretend to be his wife, so as to make his girlfriend think he's unavailable for marriage but still attractive; and she agrees, and complications ensue. Several times during this romp I noticed we came to a plot point where anybody would say, as you did, "Okay, hold on --" And each time, the screenwriter added an event which gave the focus character some kind of motivation to continue with the (absurd, to us) behavior.

Ah, heck, any film with Jen Aniston and Nicole "Aphrodite" Kidman competing in a hula contest is worth seeing at least once.

I had a day time flight to London last week so I watched The Favourite, followed by First Man.

The Favourite was OK, if a bit odd at times, but I found First Man possibly the dullest film I have seen in ages. I was really disappointed, growing up I was fascinated by the Apollo programme and we were always allowed to stay up late to watch broadcasts of the launches, and moon landings so I was looking forward to seeing this. How could Hollywood make something epic so boring?? Wooden acting, leaden dialogue, so glad I didn't waste my money at the cinema.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Finished Bohemian Rhapsody
Glad i saw the rest of it. The best moment was when his dad hugged him toward the end.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
It's been decades since I last watched it and my wife has never seen it so we watched 1984 on Amazon Prime this weekend.

I thought I remembered it well, but after re-watching there was a lot I had forgotten. Great movie.

I watched a movie called Wrong Is Right, kind of a spiritual child of Network, came out in the early 1980's Sean Connery is a mega star TV reporter who uncovers a US plot to take over a middle eastern country for its oil supplies and that same country tries to bomb the twin towers in NY. Not great, but definitely interesting.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Watched this the other day. Not amazing, but entertaining and an enjoyable watch.

I watched the documentary "Free Solo" last night on Hulu. Fascinating, but that guy is nuts!

I liked it, but I didnt really like how they portrayed Many Gault as basically a washed up drunk.

The Legendary Maney Gault

It was good to see their story being told though. I'm sure there are many that havent heard of either of them.

I havent seen that free climbing docu but I'll have to check it out. I collect climbing documentaries. They arent easy to come by.

Climbing Docus.jpg

Last night was this again.

I havent seen that free climbing docu but I'll have to check it out. I collect climbing documentaries. They arent easy to come by.

I'm not a climber by any means (just watching stresses me out), but I thought it was a good watch. First climber on record to free solo climb El Captain.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm not a climber by any means (just watching stresses me out), but I thought it was a good watch. First climber on record to free solo climb El Captain.

I use to be a climber, of ladders. Now I'm a climber of stairs haha.

I have the docu and I'll be watching it shortly. Thanks for mentioning it!

I just finished it. That was intense! 3200' in 3 hours 56 minutes. Amazing.

Yeah, he's truly incredible. Even though you know he makes it it's a nail biter. Side note, out of curiosity because I'd like to visit Yosemite eventually, there's a hiking trail for slightly less crazy people that can get you to the top of El Cap. Strenuous hike with the elevation changes and about a 15 mile round trip, but I think the views would be worth it.

"Colossal", with Anne Hathaway, on Netflix.
Any description beyond "sci-fi rom-com(ish)" would spoil it, but it is certainly unlike any movie I've seen before. Well worth watching.

Top Bottom