What's new

The Knack: End of the Line

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Been shaving this week with a 1969-made Gillette "The Knack" that I rescued from a local antique store.

For those that don't know the Knack, it's a kind of odd, mild-shaving plastic handle DE razor. More here in our own Wiki, with mr-razor's pix:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Knack

It's compared to the Feather Popular, due to the collar-type twist-to-open. But they are significantly different.

The Knack, with its metal TTO head- said to have come from Super Speed tooling- is quite top heavy compared to the Feather Pop. Along with its tapered plastic handle- which is practically weightless- it gives the razor handling characteristics that are unique. Not bad, just different. These things are tools, after all.

The tapered handle is a lot like an artist's paintbrush. One holds it so lightly I've had it fly out of my hand! It IS a mild shaver but slightly more aggressive than the super-mild Feather Pop. I took the Feather on a two-week trip, and found I had to sometimes use pressure to cut close, a sign of being too mild, in my opinion.

The Knack is mentioned as a lady's razor. Apart from a longer handle, it's quite different from the Starburst. The Starburst is more aggressive, has totally different balance, and does a great job on a face (and surely on long legs). The Knack is middle of the road, cutting-wise, compared to it. A fairly mean blade will do well in the Knack.

It's also called the last Gillette DE razor (as a variant of the Super Speed and sold overseas until 1998, I guess). You can see where Gillette was going: cheaper materials, mass-marketed ... it's almost the father of the cartridge razor! They were probably on the drawing board at that point.

Anyway. A neat Gillette collectable, and though a company cost-saver, proves they were still making a quality product.

Made to be practically throw-away, this one is till shaving almost 50 years later ...

Any love out there for Knack (or its British cousin Slim Twist)?

AA

Nothing wrong with the Slim Twist/Knack! A damn good razor for the every man. The plastic handle might cause a bit of concern but it is quite hardy and, even if it does break, the head and TTO can be removed and attached to a customized handle with added weight.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Seen that; customized handles- or using the Knack as a starting point for a custom.

The feel of the Knack is unique among Gillettes; again, a lot like holding a paintbrush. It flips around in the hand easily.

It's associated with Starbursts and Feather Populars, but really is nothing like them at all. An oddball; a historical bit of Gillette trivia. It's a neat razor.

AA

Been shaving this week with a 1969-made Gillette "The Knack"....

....this one is till shaving almost 50 years later ..

As someone that was born in 1968, I'm not sure how I feel about that last remark....I guess I feel old. Thanks for that reality slap.
:lol:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
As someone that was born in 1968, I'm not sure how I feel about that last remark....I guess I feel old. Thanks for that reality slap.
[emoji38]
Thank the heavens I'll never be older than you or that razor. I don't know what I'd do with myself.

(born in '71)

(LATE '71)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:lol:

Yeah ... I was riding a bike when this "antique" was made, if that makes you feel better ...

AA

I am confused with the names. Which one is called Knack and which one is the Slim Twist. I have a 1967 Slim Twist (?) with the tapered ivory handle, and a 1971 Knack (?) with a cylindrical blue handle.

$Razors Gillette Nack 1967 England.jpg$Razors Gillette Nack 1971 England.jpg

As I just posted in another thread, about a month ago I talked my wife into trying one and she loves it. It's the first time she's used a DE razor.

Way back when I was a young lad I learned how to shave with a G1000, the cheaper version to this. It has the same head with an even cheaper handle without the metal end cap en lined not knurled. I still have that one, used it almost exclusively for more than twenty years. I also have the slim twist made in England and it's one of my favorites, it's light and top heavy (I like that) and a mild but effective shaver.
It always gives me a very smooth shave with no irritation and no effort.
I also have the feather popular and that one is almost too mild although I can get a great shave from it but the slim twist is just right, mild but effective. Although they are both plastic handled and mild razors the are nothing alike.

How is that handle attached anyway as I always thought it was glued on there or otherwise permanently attached with no way to get it separated but since it's mentioned here that some put a custom handle on it I would like to know how.

The knack was my first DE Razor. My father-in-law had it in his medicine cabinet. It had probably been there for 50 years. I asked him if I could borrow it, cleaned it up, and here I am two years later with RAD, SAD, ASAD, and now SRAD. The knack was my gateway drug. I've gifted, traded and sold lots of hardware, but the knack will always have a place in my medicine cabinet.

Top Bottom