What's new

The King is dead. Long live the King! Domenico Caraceni.

DARN IT! I wrote this review a while ago. It seems like the king did not live long after all. Anyway, here it goes.

When I started here, people were talking about a mystical fragrance, daunting and though provoking: Czech and Speake #88. Roses and Sandalwood for men. After reading several posts about it, I got the idea of this scent as an expression of opulence, finesse and confidence. I was not disappointed when I finally got it because you guys nailed it. However, I soon found out that it was actually too elegant, too formal and it required quite a bit of confidence to pull it off. Still, I was intrigued by the idea of roses and I began to buy several decants of perfumes trying to find the right scent for me, something that could be almost as good as The King 88.

Now I can safely say I have found it. Its name is Domenico Caraceni by Domenico Caraceni.

The rose in Domenico Caraceni reminds me quite a bit of 88, but in that phase where 88 starts to be soapy, woody and ambery, DC becomes a smoky Chypre. DC is very complex, and yet it feels like a simple scent unfolding in an orderly fashion. Never before have I smelled every single note in a fragrance, let alone smell the notes flowing quite like this. First the citrus, then rose, neroli, geranium, oakmoss, tobacco and incense. Every note, well balanced and present. The modern touch in this perfume comes from its subtlety, the rose and other floral components. The tradition is seen through the quality and execution of its materials. DC is elegant but wearable, daringly sexy but it is also the scent of a gentleman. If you want a more modern Chanel pour Monsieur or a more wearable 88, Domenico Caraceni is for you. I know declare it the King of Roses for man.

Now do yourself a favor a get some. NOW!
I want recommend Rorschuck as your sourcehttp://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=62156. And while you are at it also grab some of his other EDTs. I can recommend 80-90% of his collection. The remaining percentage is still a high quality product, but it is just not my style.
I have no affiliation with his store, other than being a satisfied customer (a bit of a jealous one because he has better fragrances than me). Not only does is he offering a great service to our community, but his takes his new adventure quite seriously.*
Our fellow member Evbo tried the Shaving Cream. Here is his thread. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=827311

Chypre may be a difficult concept for a non fragrance enthusiast as it is a more traditional genre. Chypre is a structure, a combination of citrus, some flowers or green elements and some powdery smell. Chanel pour monsieur and Mitsouko are the quintessential Chypres. AdP Colonia is almost a chypre, but its lime and rose dominate too much over the oakmoss. C&S Neroli could be considered a chypre I guess.

*EDIT: I had to change my 'review' of his store, to better reflect the impression I have of his service.

I'm dying for a bottle of this! My sample is down to less than one drop!

Dare I say that I'd trade my 100ml of Vintage Tabarome for a bottle of Caraceni 1913...

I thought this thread was about Art when I first read the title.

I must say that I am intrigued by this cologne. May be sending out a request to Rorschuck soon as a result of this post.

Thanks. :biggrin:

Top Bottom