What's new

The "King" Cobra Classic Tour

I just posted the package to tripleG. Before doing so, I had one more shave with it. I tried but was unable to get any kind of a useful lather with the Irish Green Tweed cream sample or whatever it was in the box, so I started afresh with MdC. I did use one of the Dorco blades, and it was very sharp and very smooth. There was not a touch of harshness to the shave. Pretty good off a brand new blade, and makes me bummed those blades are not readily available around here.

On a side note, I finished off with a splash of Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails from the sample package I recently bought from them. Like the others, it left my face nicely toned and smooth, and smelled good, but not too much or for too long. This particular one, however, is rightly named. It really, really stings when you put it on. I almost considered including it in the box when I sent the King CObra off to its next recipient, but then it would really have been to its next victim. Not for the faint of heart, the Cat O' Nine Tails.

I got some fine shaves from this big handled razor. It isn't something I would want to own myself, but I'm grateful to have been included on its little tour, and hope what insights I may have had prove somehow useful to the group.

WARHAWK, thanks for the prompt. Michael, thanks for setting up the tour and loaning out the King.

The Cobra Classic has been my every other day driver for almost a year now and considering that, I was impressed by the King Cobra. The performance is very similar (I couldn't tell a difference) but there are some key differences that I enjoyed.

I really like the long, thick handle with the extra grippy texture. With the Classic, I always made sure my hands were bone dry and although I've never dropped it, it seems like it could likely happen. With the King, no worries about soapy/slippery hands. I also like the flare at the end. Just a nice handle.

I also like how the head has been reworked so that the securing clasp (the thing with the spring that holds the blade up) feels more substantial and aesthetically melds into the handle. The Classic feels a little toy-like in comparison. I only wish the head played nice with other, standard DE thread handle options.

Overall, I like it. Its price and non-compatibility with other handles won't make me run out and buy one but if I had one, I would have no want of any other razor.

About the samples - the Dorco blades were smooth but just not sharp enough for me, I just love those Feathers. I also tried the KMF Lime cream and my mileage really varied - I couldn't get a thick lather and it had zero glide for me, oh well.

Tomorrow, a package will be on the way to intotheforge. Thanks again!

The King is in the mail and it may be delivered by this Saturday.

I dropped in some Mystic Waters and Queen Charlotte soap samples - feel free to use/take them!

I'm excited and disappointed at the same time. My boss dropped a surprise business trip on me. I am flying North on Sunday and won't be back until Friday night. If possible, I would like to keep the razor thru Tuesday the next week so I can use it 4-5 times. Please let me know. Otherwise, I will ask my wife to just repost it.

I am flying North on Sunday and won't be back until Friday night. If possible, I would like to keep the razor thru Tuesday the next week so I can use it 4-5 times. Please let me know. Otherwise, I will ask my wife to just repost it.

No worries, use it for a full week if you wish and then ship. Safe travels.

Last edited:
Received the razor today. So, it did arrive safe and sound. I will give it a shot over the next few days and then send it on. thanks for your patience.

I can't believe the size of the handle!

Hi TripleG: Glad that you enjoyed the King.

@intotheforge: Jason... We look forward to hearing your thoughts of the King.

WARHAWK

I posted the package today. Thanks for letting me keep it long enough to give it a good trial.

For me, it shaved very well; but no better than the cobra classic. It doesn't look nearly as nice in my opinion either. However, I thought it would be perfect for the ladies, with the long extra grippy handle. My wife liked it. Unfortunately, she waited to try it out until after I had 6 shaves with it and the blade wasn't very sharp any more. We'll see if she adds it to her Christmas list.

I grabbed the st Charles coconut sample. This is my first time trying any of their products. I really enjoy that soap and will probably have to get some. I replaced it with several other samples.

Thanks again!

The package should arrive on November 26th.

Looking forward to trying the King. The package arrives the 26th while I'm travelling, so hopefully it's OK to keep the razor all next week for Friday Dec 5 shipoing? I'll encourage my wife to try it in my absence :)

I will ship the razor to Haggises first thing after Monday's shave. Thanks so much to poonjaji for the extra time with the King Cobra.

My impressions: The King Cobra provides efficient, smooth, extremely close shaves with no irritation. The straight black knurled handle is a vast improvement over the cool looking but oddly shaped Cobra Classic handle. Also, it seems the hinged safety bar mechanism is improved over the CC. I'm disappointed the stock handle is proprietary. While the stock handle oozes quality and provides great balance, it would be fun to experiment with different handles.

That said, I will not be purchasing this razor. The $239.99 retail price is very steep, and I get just as good of a shave with my go to Merkur 39c.

Got it today.
My it's a big lad. Interesting goodies too :)
I used one of my newly acquired Feather Pro blades since I have no experience yet with the included Dorcos.

Shave 1
King Cobra, Feather Pro (1), Palmolive Menthol Cream, Shavemac Finest

Grip is firm. Weight is good but oddly balanced in the handle. This help take pressure off the head I think. I had no trouble zipping around the face.
3 passes and as close to all over BBS as I ever get. Possibly closer, and zero irritation.

Not sure I've had this good a shave since the last Cobra passaround.

Looking forward to a week of shaves!

Shave 2
King Cobra, Feather Pro(2), Caswell Massey Green briar, Shavemac Finest

Had to rush a bit, so only a two pass shave.
As close as I usually can get with a DE on a 3 pass. Still couple very minor nicks on chin area, attributed to less than optimal lather, honest.

Top Bottom