What's new

The "King" Cobra Classic Tour

EQUIPMENT LIST FOR DAY 7:
· MdC Soap
· King Cobra with a Feather Professional blade (fourth use of blade)
· Simpson's Chubby 2 Manchurian brush

Today’s stubble check pretty much convinced me that, for me, the Feather Professional blade does a better job than the Dorco. As I ran my hand over my neck and cheeks in the shower, the feeling from yesterday’s Dorco blade was reminiscent of those Saturdays when, due to a hard labor honey-do project in the morning, I don’t shower and shave until about lunchtime. In other words, lots of stubble.

The shave this morning was “typical” of my experience with the King. I did a two-pass approach: with the grain on the first pass and a combination of across the grain and against the grain on the second pass. The result is a completely smooth face and neck – truly BBS.

I shall send the King and some Dorco blades to Petr today.Since Petr is a Louisiana resident, he’ll likely appreciate having something special to work with during Mardi Gras week!

Poonjaji’s generosity is amazing! Thank you Michael for providing me with this opportunity. All of us who have been fortunate enough to share in the benefits of this project should make an effort to pass something forward to the rest of our wet-shaving community so that Michael’s altruism isn’t the exception, but, instead, the norm for our groups.

Last edited:
My mood is sort of like it is when I return from a long vacation and have to go back to work. In this case, the "vacation" was the King Cobra, and "work" is the Cobra Classic.

After a week's hiatus, I picked up my Cobra Classic and immediately fell back into the comfortable routine.

Although I enjoyed the King Cobra's ease of loading and its weight, I had no problem reacclimating to the Cobra Classic. My assessment of this morning's shave is that it was every bit as comfortable and close as those from the King Cobra.

Again, I am a fan of the King; however, since I already own the Cobra Classic, I feel no need to upgrade.

I look forward to reading Petr's reviews after he receives the King on Saturday.

Thanks again poonjaji!

List updated one last time for some friends. After the list reaches its end the King is coming home, and may stay home, until they are available for purchase again and I can buy one.

I am willing to accept names for a "second round" of the tour, but no promises she will go on walkabout again.

CONUS List
petr
glassmtn99
Osborn Cox
jtyson

I also want to thank texquill for his great reviews of the King, and his detailed comparisons to the Classic and Mongoose. It is posts like his (and prior participants) that make these threads meaningful.

Thanks to all that have participated!

Last edited:
List updated one last time for some friends that were late to the party. After the list reaches its end the King is coming home, and may stay home, until they are available for purchase again and I can buy one.

I am willing to accept names for a "second round" of the tour, but no promises she will go on walkabout again.

CONUS List
petr
glassmtn99
Osborn Cox
jtyson

I also want to thank texquill for his great reviews of the King, and his detailed comparisons to the Classic and Mongoose. It is posts like his (and prior participants) that make these threads meaningful.

Thanks to all that have participated!

Michael,

I believe that you've tried all three razors as well. I'd love to get your opinion of all three if you don't mind.

Thanks again for doing this.

Unfortunately, the King may be spending a few days in limbo due to a confluence of circumstances.

I mailed it to Petr on 2/11 (USPS Priority 9406 2036 9930 0044 3884 20), and the Post Office forecast a delivery date of 2/14. Since the package was insured for $240, a signature was required. The good news is that the Post Office got the package to its destination a day early, on the 13th. The bad news is that Petr wasn't expecting it until the next day and there was no one available to sign for it. Because of the President's Day holiday on 2/16, the earliest Petr will be able to get the package is Tuesday, 2/17.

I'm sorry it happened - It is now my understanding that the cut-off for requiring a signature on an insured package is $200. Had I known at the time I mailed the package, I would have given Petr a "heads up".

Again, my sincere thanks to Poonjaji for his generosity!

Thought I'd bring this up and see if the KC ever made it to Petr or if we need to take up a collection to replace the razor? May be a bit anxious to try it myself... Ha!

I received the following PM from Poonjaji on 27 February: "I received a note from Petr yesterday saying he shipped the razor on to the next member in line, so all is well. I had emailed him earlier in the week to inquire if he had the razor since things had gone quiet and, thankfully, he confirmed he had it. (No thanks to USPS for failing to update their system!) I am optimistic the razor will be making its way back to me sometime soon so I can try it again."

So it appears that all that is missing is (are?) posting(s) from the folks currently using the King.

I finally received the King Cobra late yesterday afternoon, and shaved with it today. Of the Cobra, the Mongoose, and the King Cobra this is my favorite. It only one could buy it! What is up with Classic Shaving anyway?

eric.

My week with the King is over and it is on its way to Osborn Cox. I will miss it. A big thanks to Michael for hosting this pass around.

eric.

My wife just informed me that the King arrived safely today, unfortunately I had to unexpectedly go out of town this morning and won't be back home until early next week, so it will have to wait. Looking forward to giving it a whirl and will post my impressions here as soon as I get a chance to shave with it.

Osborn Cox sent me a PM this morning letting me know the razor is headed my way. Should be in my hands Saturday according to the website. I'll update as soon as I have it!

Thanks again for the opportunity!

Yes, it has reluctantly been shipped. Fantastic razor, between, the Cobra Classic , the Mongoose, and the King, the King if my favorite. I was wasn't a fan of the mongoose, nicely made but a bit "clunky" and too mild for my liking and sold it. For reference, prior to getting a mongoose I used the Cobra Classic almost exclusively for ~2 years. I like the larger handle, both size and shape of the King, but I don't think there was any real difference in performance over the classic. I would gladly buy one.

Michael, you are a true gentlemen and a great asset to B&B, thank you for your generosity!

Well, the postman hated me today. I stayed home all day waiting for the package to be delivered, and apparently he couldn't be troubled to knock on my door. Left me a pickup notice in my box that said I wasn't home and the package can be picked up at the post office hub on Tuesday. So, needless to say, I won't have anything to report until mid week. I'll update as soon as I can.

I genuinely despise the postman. I know all couriers do it, but I went to the post office to pick up the razor, handed him my pickup card and ID, he went to the shelf, grabbed the box, brought it to me and dropped it on the floor. He then picks it up and says "I can guarantee it got tossed around a lot worse than that on the way here!" I went to my truck and opened it immediately to check. Everything seems fine so no worry, but geez, you think these people would be a little less careless with our packages, and at least apologize when they screw up and throw it on the ground in front of you.

On a cheerier note....why don't I own this?

My initial impressions -

Wow this thing is a lot bigger than I had expected. Some serious heft to it. I knew what to expect as far as head size because I'm familiar with the blades, but the handle is BIG. I like it that way personally. I wouldn't be opposed to it being slightly thinner, but I think length is perfect. I don't have any experience first hand with the Cobra Classic, so as far as blade loading mechanics go, I can't compare, but I will say this looks easier than it is. It isn't difficult to load, but the loose swinging lower jaw where the blade is placed isn't the easiest to use with wet hands, or giant hands like mine. But, no razor is easy with wet/giant hands like mine. Except for TTOs. Anyway, back to the blade loading. While it is easy enough to switch/load blades, I have a feeling that after some time, the plate and the little knob on the swinging piece will no longer hold tight. It is just a metal on metal swivel contact. It will eventually wear away. Being that I'm no engineer, I have no answer for this, but I would like to hear from people who use this razor daily over a long period of time to see how that holds up.

On to the shave - With a feather pro blade, this is easily the most comfortable and enjoyable shave I have ever experienced. Far superior to any straight I've tried, the feather SS, the Mongoose, any of the vintage DEs I've tried and even worlds ahead of my favorite razor, my R41. I look forward to trying it on my noggin tomorrow evening.

I won't play by play every shave, but I wanted to update and let everyone know I had it, and my initial feelings of both happiness and depression. I didn't want to like it this much, because I have no idea how I will go about acquiring one for myself without a blood offering of my first born child or my favorite goat.

Glad it made it to you safely. I have big hands as well, and found the handle of the King much more suitable than the classic. My next few shaves with the classic Cobra after I sent out the King felt awkward. I miss it.

It is with great sorrow that I report, the King has left the building.
USPS tracking https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=vh910902361us

I will truly miss that razor. Nothing else stacks up. Of course I'd fall for something I can't have.

As for comparing razors, I haven't used an original cobra classic, so I can't compare them, but I can say that in function the King Cobra is heads above the Mongoose. In build quality, it is worse than the Mongoose though. It is fairly obvious the Mongoose would be a razor that could take a beating and still be passed down through generations. The King is nice looking, rather robust, but the moving parts are bound to fail sooner than later.

My only other complaint about the King would be how shiny it is. Some people love that look. I myself prefer a more matte finish, because the lighting in my bathroom combined with this ultra polished finish means I temporarily blinded myself on more than one occasion.

Thank you again Michael for giving us all the opportunity to try this little piece of shaving unobtanium. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we are truly grateful.

Although not on the list to try, I have been reading the reviews regularly. I learn a lot about a razor this way-through the skin of another.

It's also how I learned about the CC which I tried but felt was too short. Been on the list at Classic for a King, but have never heard back from them. Now I have a Goose and I'm feeling pretty well satisfied, but still curious about the King.

marty

Funny thing is, having the Mongoose DID NOT stop me from purchasing the King Cobra. I was on the list for Cobra Classic pass around and as I said before, I liked the CC but felt it was just too small.

The King totally fit the bill for size while not being as cool as the CC to look at. Interestingly enough, the King is more aggressive than the Mongoose. When I'm in the mood for a SE shave, depending on how my last shave went determines which one I will reach for.

Multiple days of beard growth, it's the King all the way; just shaved the day before? Then it's the Mongoose ftw.

I am happy that i did purchase it back then, because the price for one now is ridiculous considering its not stainless steel.

marty

Top Bottom