What's new

The King C. Gillette DE

As others have commented, it's the blades that come with the razor that are amazing. Got mine direct from Gillette here in the UK and I'm still on the first blade. Lost count of the number of shaves but it's well into double figures. Every time I think it will be time to change the blade but no, still smooth, sharp and efficient. Might have to order a few packs though I doubt I'll need them!

Gareth

As others have commented, it's the blades that come with the razor that are amazing. Got mine direct from Gillette here in the UK and I'm still on the first blade. Lost count of the number of shaves but it's well into double figures. Every time I think it will be time to change the blade but no, still smooth, sharp and efficient. Might have to order a few packs though I doubt I'll need them!

Gareth

I ended up getting 33 smooth shaves from my first blade. Number 34 tugged slightly in the mustache area but I still got a very comfortable BBS shave with number 34.

I ended up getting 33 smooth shaves from my first blade. Number 34 tugged slightly in the mustache area but I still got a very comfortable BBS shave with number 34.

I wasn’t sure that mine started to tug at 29. Today was shave 31, all triple passes and it’s a comfortable BBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the KCG for this morning's shave and the short answer after one shave is "I like it." Most of what I discovered probably will not be news to shavers familiar with the R89 and similar razors, but because I had no direct experience, it was all new to me.

Fit and finish are excellent and the razor is heavy without being unwieldy, easy to grip. and easy to maneuver around even in the tight spots under the nose. I'd also describe it as being mild: not a lot of blade exposure and if I wasn't on the angle, no hair got cut. The head holds the blade quite rigidly and I didn't notice any chatter; in fact, I barely felt the blade at all, which I like. The KCG blades that came with the razor seem to be at least the equal of GSBs, of which I am a huge fan.

Obviously one shave doesn't tell the whole story of a razor and/or blade, but I couldn't help thinking This is a modern Tech while I was shaving. It's nice to see the KCG on the shelf and I hope it's a huge hit.

I tried the KCG for this morning's shave and the short answer after one shave is "I like it." Most of what I discovered probably will not be news to shavers familiar with the R89 and similar razors, but because I had no direct experience, it was all new to me.

Fit and finish are excellent and the razor is heavy without being unwieldy, easy to grip. and easy to maneuver around even in the tight spots under the nose. I'd also describe it as being mild: not a lot of blade exposure and if I wasn't on the angle, no hair got cut. The head holds the blade quite rigidly and I didn't notice any chatter; in fact, I barely felt the blade at all, which I like. The KCG blades that came with the razor seem to be at least the equal of GSBs, of which I am a huge fan.

Obviously one shave doesn't tell the whole story of a razor and/or blade, but I couldn't help thinking This is a modern Tech while I was shaving. It's nice to see the KCG on the shelf and I hope it's a huge hit.

They have been a big hit at my local Walgreens. The DE razors and DE blades sell out quickly and they continue to restock. I have noticed the DE razors and DE blades are the hottest sellers in the KCG line.

They have been a big hit at my local Walgreens. The DE razors and DE blades sell out quickly and they continue to restock. I have noticed the DE razors and DE blades are the hottest sellers in the KCG line.
That's encouraging.

In case any Tech fans get upset with my earlier statement, please note that I was indulging in a little bit of hyperbole (I am a huge fan of Techs, after all and no slight was intended :)). While I suspect that the Tech may still be a fundamentally better razor, the KCG is also quite good. I made the comparison because it's a mild razor that's durable, inexpensive, readily available, and dead simple in construction and use, making it perhaps the modern equivalent of the humble Tech.

That's encouraging.

In case any Tech fans get upset with my earlier statement, please note that I was indulging in a little bit of hyperbole (I am a huge fan of Techs, after all and no slight was intended :)). While I suspect that the Tech may still be a fundamentally better razor, the KCG is also quite good. I made the comparison because it's a mild razor that's durable, inexpensive, readily available, and dead simple in construction and use, making it perhaps the modern equivalent of the humble Tech.

I love my Techs too. That is the reason I’m happy to see the Heritage constantly selling out on Amazon and the KCG selling at Walgreens. If they keep selling out, we might see a Tech come back. If P&G gives the go to Gillette on a DE razor to be manufactured, odds are the Tech is what they would release.

I love my Techs too. That is the reason I’m happy to see the Heritage constantly selling out on Amazon and the KCG selling at Walgreens. If they keep selling out, we might see a Tech come back. If P&G gives the go to Gillette on a DE razor to be manufactured, odds are the Tech is what they would release.
That would be amazing. Not going to hold my breath though.

That would be amazing. Not going to hold my breath though.

I have been following some movements by P&G here and there and I’m a shareholder. New facility construction was approved in Cincinnati not long ago before this experimentation so you never know. I’m interested to see if P&G makes a play on Merkur too. If there was a buyout, it would be safe to say that we wouldn’t have to hold our breath for long.

For the first time on Sunday I saw the KCG2 and spare blades on the shelves of a local supermarket {Morrisons}. This is a promising sight as it now provides an alternative to the cartridge in store.
The price of the blades was high at £5 for 10 but the razor and 5 blades was on sale for £13.
From what I hear about the blades, they are very good so will give the cartridges good competition.

Last edited:
I have been following some movements by P&G here and there and I’m a shareholder. New facility construction was approved in Cincinnati not long ago before this experimentation so you never know. I’m interested to see if P&G makes a play on Merkur too. If there was a buyout, it would be safe to say that we wouldn’t have to hold our breath for long.

+1! Now that would be intersecting!! :a21:

Heck, if they want to build a plant to stamp out the cheap modern Tech and distribute the Blue blades here, I'd settle for that. That's a mighty fine razor disguised as a cheapie.

I actually got this reply directly from Gillette regarding the razor head. They stated that the razor head is of chinese origin. Personally, I don’t have an issue if it was of German or Chinese origin. If it works it works :)

Attachments

• 26240ADD-D92E-4556-AEF0-39510F59C525.png
    26240ADD-D92E-4556-AEF0-39510F59C525.png
    417.9 KB · Views: 102
I actually got this reply directly from Gillette regarding the razor head. They stated that the razor head is of chinese origin. Personally, I don’t have an issue if it was of German or Chinese origin. If it works it works :)

An employee assigned FaceBook or website comment duty just looking at the box just reading the “Made in China” part about the actual handle.

The head is German made like the Heritage and the original instructions came in German on the paper card on the threads.

The handle is made in China.

An employee assigned FaceBook or website comment duty just looking at the box just reading the “Made in China” part about the actual handle.

The head is German made like the Heritage and the original instructions came in German on the paper card on the threads.

Either way I’ve had a few great shaves with that thing :) I’m just happy gillette has reentered the market. Great addition to my stable of razors!

For the first time on Sunday I saw the KCG2 and spare blades on the shelves of a local supermarket {Morrisons}. This is a promising sight as it now provides an alternative to the cartridge in store.

This is very good news I think. I did also notice my local branch of Boots had a space for the razor along with the rest of the KCG products in their display, though none were actually in that space (sold out maybe? Maybe?)

Great Review I don't have the Razor but I do use the King C blades which are excellent

They last a very long time and I recently noticed they improved the performance of my 53 and 57 Super Speeds tremendously. Always had trouble getting a 3 pass BBS with those Super Speeds, now I get there quite easily. For the last decade, I had settled on Lab Blues being my blade for all of my razors but these blades are just incredible. Pricey but I get over 30 shaves a blade with no tugs.

Top Bottom