What's new

The Ketogenic Get Healthy Thread

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Don @dangerousdon , I don't know how I've missed your thread. It's good to see your results. It encourages others to do the same, even if it's not exactly the plan you use. I've lost 3 bowling balls since being on the keto diet. I like to use weights that I can relate to. Can you imagine carrying around 3, 4 or 8 bowling balls all day? I also like to concentrate on the positive things that losing weight do for you, like getting in and out of the car, tying your shoes or getting up from the couch. I've had to retire all my old jeans, shorts and polo shirts. Luckily I stored some of my older clothes for just this occasion. I even wore my custom suit at Christmas 2017. :001_smile

Don @dangerousdon , I don't know how I've missed your thread. It's good to see your results. It encourages others to do the same, even if it's not exactly the plan you use. I've lost 3 bowling balls since being on the keto diet. I like to use weights that I can relate to. Can you imagine carrying around 3, 4 or 8 bowling balls all day? I also like to concentrate on the positive things that losing weight do for you, like getting in and out of the car, tying your shoes or getting up from the couch. I've had to retire all my old jeans, shorts and polo shirts. Luckily I stored some of my older clothes for just this occasion. I even wore my custom suit at Christmas 2017. :001_smile
Thanks for sharing Aaron! You are right. It's the common everyday things that I struggled with then that I am enjoying now. Before, when I would mow the yard it would take me four hours or more to do and I would be out of commission for the rest of the weekend. I now mow the yard in a quarter of the time and am ready for the next task. It sounds Corny, but I feel like I have a new lease on life!

Thanks for reading and sharing!

Do any of you keto guys take any nutritional supplements? Eg. Fish oil?

(btw...I am currently down to 186 from 207. Slow but steady.)

Last night was the first time since starting this that I had a cheat meal. Naan bread while at an Indian meal. A Kingfisher beer too.
It tasted good. The day after effects are not so good.
On the whole, it wasn't worth it.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Went to the doc yesterday for a keto follow up.

Took me right off the blood pressure meds. My BP has been well below normal since I started keto. It was around 140/95 18 months ago. Went on 5 mg Amlodipine, and it went to normal right away. Since starting keto in early April, it's gone down quite a bit. Was 109/72 yesterday, so no more BP meds. I check it a couple times a week.

Down 26 lbs on their scale in 10 weeks.

All my blood work is moving in a positive direction. The only number still a little out of range is blood sugar, which was still about 10 points lower than last time. It's marginal right now. Was in the "pre-diabetes" range before keto. Going for a follow up A1c in a month.

I will have a full physical and full blood work at the end of August. So far so good. Thanks for the inspiration guys!!

I slipped for 24 hours on British junk food, the temptation proved too much as soon as I was alone with noone else to shame me into accountability.
Back on the wagon as soon as I get home. Feel slightly sick, wasn't worth the bother.

Hey guys,

Some may remember me as a bit of a health nut, and I certainly was. Health and fitness has been a tremendous part of my life since I was 12 years old and picked up weight training. Unfortunately, I wasn't entirely truthful with my health issues; or rather, I chose to not talk about them. I was a functional alcoholic... That is, until I wasn't. I lost my career, my home, everything; not to mention ballooning up to over 300lbs.

Well, Saturday, I'll be celebrating one year of sobriety. No only that, in six months I've lost 90lbs thanks to a ketogenic diet that has now morphed into more of a low carb Paleo approach, although I do dip in and out of ketosis unintentionally. Intermittent fasting has also been a huge part of my success. I've never felt better in my life. Maybe I can finally get back to a life worth living. Ketogenic diets, not necessarily Atkins, are finally gaining the respect they deserve! These are things that those of us in the world of bodybuilding and powerlifting have known for decades.

Thanks for letting me share, guys. I may not be that active anymore, but I love this place. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!

So... What does a day of eating look like for you guys? How about training? Thought I'd go ahead and share, as if you care! ;)

Again, my nutrition week to week varies; I tend to eat instinctively. Some days might be three meals plus one or two snacks, others may be one meal or possibly a 24-48 hr fast. I really don't worry too much about calories, just make sure that my food sources are the highest quality that I can afford. I figure after not smoking or drinking anymore, I'll still come out ahead...LOL. I'm normally high fat, low carb, moderate to high protein. Yes, I'm well aware that some of that protein is likel being converted. As I said, I'm not really that worried about constantly being in ketosis; I drift in and out all the time.

Anyway, today is already planned out...

3 whole eggs, free range organic
4oz ground beef, grass fed
2tbsp butter for cooking, grass fed
Coffee with stevia, water

Lunch
Huge spinach, lettuce salad
2 cans yellowfin tuna in EVOO
Olive, whole avocado, olives, carrots, red cabbage, bell peppers
Handful raspberries
Oil and vinegar dressing
Green tea matcha with stevia

Dinner
6oz porkchop sauteed in butter along ridiculous amounts of peppers, onions and mushrooms

Snacking will be chorizo sticks and almond butter...LOL

Training is chest, shoulders, triceps at the gym today plus burpee HIIT.

Tomorrow I have two interviews, plus a buddy of mine will be taking me to dinner, so I'll only be eating one meal.

Is there anybody out there?

So, I've done hours upon hours of research. I've implemented a few basic protocols into my daily routine on and off for a few months now. I'm ready to commit. I'm talking about the F word - fasting. Complete anathema to traditional dieting philosophy and a dirty word until just the past few years. I've used both intermittent, alternate day and 24 to 48 hour fasts with very positive results. Well, I just passed 72 hours and have decided I'm going for an extended fast. I feel awesome so far, hunger pang leave as quickly as they come. Excellent. I'm ready.

You guys are gonna hold me accountable, alright?! Gym session and cardio went great today. I'm not breaking any records but that's to be expected. I have no idea how long I'm shooting for, just gonna ride it out!

Interesting - You are hitting the gym WHILE you fast..?? I may have to try it. I've gone without food for a few days at a time but never voluntarily. I do IF at present but only go about 16 hours or so between meals. Let us know how you do. I may be tempted to try it.

I'm awaiting blood work which should be in this week as to my last six months. I've slipped a bit here and there and am most likely "skimming the top" of the keto status but I'm still feeling well, lots of energy and no issues.

Yes, but I felt especially strong yesterday. I'm hitting the gym again Thursday, we'll see how I feel. If nothing else, I'll just go through the motions and keep it maybe 60 percent max effort.

The only thing I'm using is a homemade electrolyte mix but it is absolutely necessary, in my opinion; water only fasts are just unreasonable without it.

So far, so good. No hunger today despite a good bit of physical activity. Energy levels are pretty good, mood and attitude is excellent. Still not sure when I'll end this, the answer as of right now is whenever I feel like it. If I feel ill or odd, I'll stop.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Lost another hole in the belt today. Down four holes. Yippie! Haven't weighed myself in three plus weeks. Almost four. On an extended camping trip. My goal was to maintain on this trip. I've kept the keto going. Although I haven't kept the fats as high as I want, and my calorie intake is a bit higher than I like, my carbs have been under 20 grams every day. If I have lost a few pounds on this trip it will be a bonus. Started the trip around 210. I'll be home Tuesday. So we will see how I did.

Phew! Glad I didn't kill this thread.

That's great news. If you're still making progress, your calories aren't too high! I still keep fats high, but I'm not too anal about it.

Currently, I'm dropping bodyfat like nobody's business thanks to fasting and keto refeeds. It's very much instinctive, still; sometimes my fasts are 24 (23?) hours, sometimes 48. I'm actually moving toward 72 on this one, it's just whatever I feel like doing, really. Everything goes very smoothly as long as I stay on top of my electrolytes. I'll ease into breaking the fast, then have a moderate sized keto meal, then go right back to fasting. I feel lean, strong, fit and clear headed. In a word, awesome! OMEOD (one meal every other day) is highly sustainable so far.

Top Bottom