What's new

The Ketogenic Get Healthy Thread

I'm getting ready to get out the door, but I wanted to post this now. I will post more later also.

I have decided to do a Ketogenic Diet for at least three months. For those of you who don't know what a Ketogenic Diet is, it's basically a diet where your daily macro nutrients are as follows: 5% (or less) carbohydrates, 25% protein, and 70% fats. The premise is to put your body in a state of ketosis (not ketoacidosis...that can kill you) so that your body uses fat as fuel instead of carbohydrates. That's it in a nutshell.

I encourage whoever is reading this to educate yourself on this way of eating.

My reason for doing this is really simple. I want to get healthier, lose some weight, and give my self a chance to the reduce risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and a host of other ailments I may end up with if I continue the path I am on.

The Details:

I have hypertension,
My cholesterol levels are out of wack,
I have metabolic syndrome,
I have higher than normal insulin levels,
I'm insulin resistant,
I have non-alcoholic fatty liver,
I am over weight,
and I take so many different types of medications.

Yup, I am pretty unhealthy. I am 6'3" and I weighed in yesterday at a whooping 328 pounds. Big enough to be an offensive lineman in the NFL, and not nearly as athletic (or wealthy).

Anyway...I have to run...but I wanted to say...that this is my place to keep accountable to you fine gentlemen of Badger & Blade. I will post my nutritional info and workouts here. I will just talk about my journey in general and I encourage you all to join me in the conversation.

I am going to say...I have done enough research an consulted medical professionals in this matter. This is a safe and sustainable diet. So please...if you are here to tell me that I don't know what I am doing or are going to be a professional naysayer...go somewhere else.

I'll post more later...but wish me luck...This begins a new chapter in my life.

Last edited:
Best of luck, buddy. I wish I had chronicled my keto journey last year for reference sake if nothing else. Hang on, don’t cheat, and prepare for big changes. Feb 1 will be my “ketoversary” and in that time I’ve managed to stay in ketosis pretty much indefinitely. It’s possible, and totally worth it in my experience.

Good luck! Keep in mind, if it doesn't work out for you, that there are other diets that will get you to the same end goal. IMO the keys are accountability, adherence, and determination. Be honest with yourself, hold yourself accountable, and focus on the goal. If you do those three things you will lose weight on pretty much any safe diet plan that exists.

I'm turning 50 in just over a month and I've been considering going back to keto on my birthday. Good luck, I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Best of luck Don. I too was at a scary point and due to life changes I am getting my life back. You can do this!

Thank you all! I appreciate your support as I start my new endevour. I have learned a couple of lessons already today. More on that in a bit.

Well day one is in the books...well mostly. But I am officially done eating for the day.

A couple of things that I noticed. I need to change the way I eat. I am so used to "grazing" the whole day and I obviously can't do that on Keto. I was constantly eating this morning and by noon, I was almost nauseated. I know that I need to eat meals instead of snacking all day long...but I just conditioned to eat all the time. Something to work on.

The other thing I noticed is that it isn't going to be that hard to be in a calorie deficit. Not that I want to right now...my goal is to get into ketosis. But you fill up so much faster on this way of eating.

So what happened today? I drank more than 100 ounces of water (I stopped watching how much water I drank at 100 ounces...I likely drank closer to a gallon and a half). So this is a good thing.

Okay, so I tried a few different keto calculators to figure out my macro nutrients...they all were different, but about the same.

Like I said yesterday, I weighed in at 328 pounds. On the keto calculator I estimated my body fat percentage as 35%...though it is likely closer or over 40%. Anyway, according to this calculator I am supposed to consume over 2700 calories with 25 grams of carbs (4%), 125 grams of protein (18%), and 240 grams of fat (78%). Can you say no way Jose! I have no idea how I would be able to eat all of that...and I like to eat.

I decided to go with a small calorie deficit (though I don't think it's a deficit at all). According to the keto calculator on a small deficit (16%), I should be consuming just over 2300 calories. That a little better. Anyway...the rest of it is: 25 grams of carbs (4%), 125 grams of protein (21%), and 191 grams of fat (75%).

Well, how did I do? Well according to my calculations...I ate just over 2100 calories today with 18 grams of carbs (3%), 100.5 grams of protein (19%), and 185 grams of fat (78%).

I am actually stoked that I was well under my 25 grams of carbs! That being said...I wonder if this is still too many calories/grams of macros that I am consuming. Let me say...that it was a lot of food.

I thought at first that I was eating too much protein (maybe I am), but looking at my guides...I think I am right on.

Another thing of note...I wasn't sure how the keto coffee was going to be...it's actually pretty good. The funny thing about keto coffee is that there are a bunch of different recipes. I went with the one that uses 2 tbsp of coconut oil and 2 tbsp of butter. I think tomorrow I might do 1 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Either way...I actually enjoyed it.

Anyway...I welcome thoughts and ideas from my trusted friends of B&B.

I want to thank:
@TYdeFan05
@auk1124
@Doc4
@Graybeard57
@elswood and
@cvargo

For all the wonderful words and encouragement. Thanks you guys!

Day One Down!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Good on ya!

I noticed is that it isn't going to be that hard to be in a calorie deficit. ... you fill up so much faster on this way of eating.

The problem for some people can come when they don't drop the "total food volume" they consume when they switch from carrots and celery and eat bacon and nuts ... but yes, the keto-type foods do tend to be a lot more satisfying, just not as "filling" if you see the distinction.

Good luck Don, you can do it!

Sounds like the first day was a success. I am currently in Day 8 of a Whole 30 (30 days of whole foods), also being in kick to be healthier and lose some weight. I just thought I'd wish you luck and pass on a few things I've learned.

I am finding that meal planning is key. We plan ALL our meals on Saturday / Sunday then do all the grocery shopping for the week on Sunday. I find when there is a plan and groceries in the house, it is much easier to execute the plan. I've found that looking at recipes helps to get a variation of foods - watch out for eating the same stuff too often and getting into a rut.

Also, jar salads for lunches have been awesome. We've been doing them for almost a year with great success. We make 6 jar salads on Sunday night (3 for me and 3 for my wife). Here is a picture of jar salads I stole from reddit for Keto.
20180108 rr8GYlZ.jpg

One hint on the keto coffee that worked for me. I like unsalted butter in coffee better than salted. I couldn’t figure out what was off with the taste but for me that was the trick.

Good luck to you! You will not regret it. The initial water weight loss should be significant and motivating.

Sounds like you are well on your way @dangerousdon ...Well done. I tried the keto diet but found it very difficult to maintain for a variety of reasons. Especially the high intake of fats...it just didn't agree with me. I have since given up alcohol, sugars and bread and I continue to lose weight gradually. One thing the keto diet did teach me is that there are 20 grams of carbs in a single slice of bread! It's like eating a small chocolate bar.

The first few weeks are the hardest, in breaking the carbohydrate addiction. When your body stops ringing the sugar addiction bell every few hours it is amazing how long you can go without hunger pangs and still function very well.

As Shaving Panda stated planning is imperative to your success. Find a variety of go to meals that suit your palate and meet your macronutrient goals. I have about 6-8 go to meals built around grass fed beef, grass fed lamb, eggs and fatty wild fish as protein sources. I fill the rest of the diet with a lot of greens and low sugar vegetables and no fruit. The macronutrient calculator is helpful to put meals together but I found tedious to use for daily use after a month or so.

I found it really helpful to eliminate processed foods other than occasional use of canned vegetables-tomatoes and occasionally beans. It also it helpful to cook meals that will sustain you for 3-4 meals. Costco is a great place to buy coconut oil, no salt butter, lamb, vegetables, sardines etc.

I think you are on the right path to reversing your medical conditions. One of the first things that will reverse is your triglyceride levels. I have seen individuals note a reversal of their triglycerides from an alarming 500 to 70 in a matter of two weeks on a keto diet. Pretty amazing!

I now eat 2 meals a day. No snacks. No problem. I am 65 and pretty healthy and take no medication. My primary wants to put me on a statin because my LDL is 205. I have made the decision that it is unnecessary but that is another story.

I will be interested in seeing your progress. Good luck.

Just another thing to consider. You may want to get your diet down before starting a vigorous workout routine if you have been sedentary. It is a big change in eating habits alone. Adding another big change, a vigorous workout routine, at the same time may be too much to handle.

Keep at it man! I know many guys who have made keto work for them. :D

We are always here for a word of encouragement and can't wait to hear more good news about your progress.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Through changes in my lifestyle I've brought my blood pressure down as well as my resting heart rate. I certainly have room to loose a few dozen pounds. My main motivation is to do this with my wife. She was diagnosed with MS back in the 90's. It turns out that a paleo diet may be beneficial for folk who have any autoimmune disease.

We are following The Wahls protocol. An MS diet. Pretty darn strict but we are adapting.

Thinking on it there must have been maybe 15 meals we prepare on a regular basis. I'm working now on figuring out 15 or 20 go to meals. Have some. Need more.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The first few weeks are the hardest, in breaking the carbohydrate addiction. When your body stops ringing the sugar addiction bell every few hours it is amazing how long you can go without hunger pangs and still function very well.

As Shaving Panda stated planning is imperative to your success. Find a variety of go to meals that suit your palate and meet your macronutrient goals. I have about 6-8 go to meals built around grass fed beef, grass fed lamb, eggs and fatty wild fish as protein sources. I fill the rest of the diet with a lot of greens and low sugar vegetables and no fruit. The macronutrient calculator is helpful to put meals together but I found tedious to use for daily use after a month or so.

I found it really helpful to eliminate processed foods other than occasional use of canned vegetables-tomatoes and occasionally beans. It also it helpful to cook meals that will sustain you for 3-4 meals. Costco is a great place to buy coconut oil, no salt butter, lamb, vegetables, sardines etc.

I think you are on the right path to reversing your medical conditions. One of the first things that will reverse is your triglyceride levels. I have seen individuals note a reversal of their triglycerides from an alarming 500 to 70 in a matter of two weeks on a keto diet. Pretty amazing!

I now eat 2 meals a day. No snacks. No problem. I am 65 and pretty healthy and take no medication. My primary wants to put me on a statin because my LDL is 205. I have made the decision that it is unnecessary but that is another story.

I will be interested in seeing your progress. Good luck.
You and me both. It will be a cold day in Miami before I ever go on a statin.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
But back to Don: proud of you my friend. Have recently made a life decision myself, I will add you to my morning list...

Top Bottom