What's new

The Joy of writing with a Fountain Pen

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Great article. Thanks for posting!

Truly, uncapping an FP opens a welcome window to a gentler, and more refined, era. Were only my handwriting up to the standards of the nib.

Not to be "funny," but the words "Country Life" and "fountain pen" conjured up using a turkey feather for a quill. Seriously. I remember finding or looking for the feather, and an older person showing me the rudiments of making it into a quill. There was no heat treatment and the feather portion remained intact, but it would write. "Ink" was a food coloring concoction made by someone else, most likely because it was non-toxic and washable. Was I shown a life skill that day? Something from the era of dip pens and when even a low-cost fountain pen was pricey? Don't know, but that's the memory that came up.

The article is good, but doesn't point to the ease of writing with a fountain pen. The ink from a fountain pen just flows across the page without bearing down. That's why I started using them after a hand injury in high school. With a ball point you have to use some force, but with a fountain pen, easy does it. Multipart forms are why I stopped using them, but they are smooth writers.

Note: I know there are nibs that can handle multipart forms, but either I didn't know that, or wasn't willing risking ruining the nib on my Sheaffer school pen.

No one summed it up as well as this guy.

Parker.jpg

I think the article is mislabel and should be titled "writing and the fashion of fountain pens". The discussion is thin respect to writing and associated benefit, joy, associated with writing with a fountain pen.

Late into this tread , I learned penmanship with a straight pen . But any way I prefer a gel pen , to a fountain pen. A fountain pen requires to much maintenance for me. A good gel is a pleasure to write with. Have not used a fountain in ages , so not exactly a fair comparison, but that is my opinion.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Late into this tread , I learned penmanship with a straight pen . But any way I prefer a gel pen , to a fountain pen. A fountain pen requires to much maintenance for me. A good gel is a pleasure to write with. Have not used a fountain in ages , so not exactly a fair comparison, but that is my opinion.
Oh so much to dig into there. My thoughts:

1. Nothing wrong with not liking fountain pens. Everyone likes what they like and its all good.

2. Fountain pens don't have to require much maintenance, especially cartridge-fed pens. Pop in a cart, use it up, pop in a new one. No different than a refillable ballpoint. As long as you're writing with it enough to keep the ink flowing and don't change inks, it shouldn't need any additional cleaning. Get a Platinum 3776, and you don't even really need to use it regularly; the seal on the cap will keep it from drying out for up to two years (according to the marketing).

3. Personally, I enjoy the process to maintaining my stuff, especially my nice stuff. There's a certain zen to cleaning out and inking up a fountain pen. Like shining shoes or sharpening a knife. Using and maintaining old fashiony things, like fountain pens and safety razors, is my silent protest again the fast moving and disposable modern world. And, frankly, a bulb syringe makes the job super easy. But I understand that's not everyone's jam. But I also think there's kind of a "sweet spot" where the old tech works for me. For instance, I love my safety razors, but at present I don't have the time or inclination to hone and maintain a straight razor. Bully for everyone who does! Neither do I have the time or inclination to go collect turkey feathers like Brother @Raissermesser and cut them into dip pens. But fountain pens are the perfect level of "hands on" involvement while still offering the finest level of writing convenience available in the 19th century.

Top Bottom