What's new

The Joy Of PIF - Your Experiences, Thoughts, Musings

PIFF'ing (Passing It Forward) has long been a big factor on B&B and in the worldwide shaving community, when expressed as part of forums, social media groups and the like, encouraging fellow shavers to try new gear which they may not have the opportunity to, and encouraging a vibe of generousity and friendship through kind acts which is inituated by individuals. The recipients of which may then in time continue this 'virtuous circle'.

It seems that there is not a thread discussing it, nor is there a place to discuss experiences, motivations and thoughts on the practice.

I thought this would be a nice place to celebrate, discuss and even philosophise on the subject.

Any experiences and or thoughts on the noble practice of Passing It Forward?

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I soon learner about this PIFing thing after joining B&B. I didn't think much about it as most PIFs were limited to CONUS.

Earlier this year, out of the blue, I received a PIF from a B&B member in the Middle East - not even asked for. It was three unobtainable sticks of Palmolive. I was overjoyed with such generosity.

That introduced me to the enjoyment of receiving. Since then, I have started to PIF some of my shaving gear to deserving souls on B&B, some without being requested and others through PIF threads.

As @silverlifter so aptly put it, passing it on is in some ways more rewarding because it builds the foundations of this community.

I think it's nice some people do it but it holds no interest to me either as a receiver or giver. I've never participated in one either way.
I know you like a good conversation @CCS , so I wonder if you could expand your thoughts on it?

I'm hoping this thread will become the central resource for PIF experiences, and thoughts on it as a 'thing' on B&B.

It's a very powerful thing, amazing in it's way.

I have many experiences of recieved PIF's to share. I almost never publicise them in a dedicated thread. This will be the place that I do. Is it a strong feeling of gratitude which makes the PIF almost a secret pact with the donor? Is it a sense of inadequacy which still impels me to rise to the level of the kind donor (many of whom I have never interacted with)?

It's a rich topic.

Last edited:
Not much more to say than I did already. I'm not interested in doing them in either direction but I think it's great that some people do. Matter of fact, when I see these giveaway threads, I put them on ignore. That said, I thought it was very generous of Butch Wax to give a couple of expensive razors to Guido75. Sorry I can't be of more help but, honestly, this isn't a discussion of any interest to me beyond what I said.

PIFF'ing (Passing It Forward) has long been a big factor on B&B and in the worldwide shaving community, when expressed as part of forums, social media groups and the like, encouraging fellow shavers to try new gear which they may not have the opportunity to, and encouraging a vibe of generousity and friendship through kind acts which is inituated by individuals. The recipients of which may then in time continue this 'virtuous circle'.

It seems that there is not a thread discussing it, nor is there a place to discuss experiences, motivations and thoughts on the practice.

I thought this would be a nice place to celebrate, discuss and even philosophise on the subject.

Any experiences and or thoughts on the noble practice of Passing It Forward?
PIF'ing leads to bonding.
Good thing for a community.

I have given and I have received. I've also lent items because someone wanted to use something that I wasn't using (or could do without for a while). All have been good experiences.

Even better, though, was the passaround boxes that I've experienced. Those are really fun, especially since everyone who participates can try new things and trade out unused items for something useful.

Oh, and trades have happened, too.

All good. :)

Not much more to say than I did already. I'm not interested in doing them in either direction but I think it's great that some people do. Matter of fact, when I see these giveaway threads, I put them on ignore. That said, I thought it was very generous of Butch Wax to give an couple of expensive razors to Guido75. Sorry I can't be of more help but, honestly, this isn't a discussion of any interest to me beyond what I said.
Just for the record, it was one razor to be exact. A stellar razor though.

Guido

Like CCS I do not enter into PIFs (I am now in a blade PIF but that is about it) - usually because they are CONUS or because I see no need.

The PIFs I have experienced so far were all out of the blue to me. I am still relatively new to this forum and to receive any gift was beyond my wildest imagination.

Butches gift was stellar and I am still coming to grips with what happened there, but it is really the receiving that gets me as I question myself why someone picks me out of all fellow brothers.

I still remember vividly the handles Lasta offered me and I was over the moon. And then I saw the bonus vintage razor.

Same with my fellow Dutch brother when he send me some blades and I found a Swedish razor head.

Not to forget the cowboy that found my birth quarter razor and decided it was for me.

These are among some of my best experiences these past few years and they earned a place in my heart (I know - but let me, I am a sentimental guy!)

And giving PIFs or giving shaving things in general is even more rewarding. The simple joy of a soap out a blade is just wonderful.

But I totally respect others think otherwise. You could also view this as pressure maybe. The need to comply with community standards or culture. Or you just like things new. And who would want to part with their hard found babies, right? So as with all things on this forum: YMMV.

Enjoy!

Guido

Like CCS I do not enter into PIFs (I am now in a blade PIF but that is about it) - usually because they are CONUS or because I see no need.

The PIFs I have experienced so far were all out of the blue to me. I am still relatively new to this forum and to receive any gift was beyond my wildest imagination.

Butches gift was stellar and I am still coming to grips with what happened there, but it is really the receiving that gets me as I question myself why someone picks me out of all fellow brothers.

I still remember vividly the handles Lasta offered me and I was over the moon. And then I saw the bonus vintage razor.

Same with my fellow Dutch brother when he send me some blades and I found a Swedish razor head.

Not to forget the cowboy that found my birth quarter razor and decided it was for me.

These are among some of my best experiences these past few years and they earned a place in my heart (I know - but let me, I am a sentimental guy!)

And giving PIFs or giving shaving things in general is even more rewarding. The simple joy of a soap out a blade is just wonderful.

But I totally respect others think otherwise. You could also view this as pressure maybe. The need to comply with community standards or culture. Or you just like things new. And who would want to part with their hard found babies, right? So as with all things on this forum: YMMV.

Enjoy!

Guido
Good point there. Pressure in a sense is as alien to the spirit of PIF'ing as an Inuit is to the Sahara.
I feel this community is quite omnifarious. Some members are very active, many just lurk and may not even be a registered member. They could be regarded as members of the community too. They may or may not comment or enter conversations every once in a while. Some seem to be out of sight for a while and are present again after some time.
What I am saying is: the nice thing is every individual can give and take as they like: they all contribute as suits them, active or not, PIF'ing or not. It's all good and that seems to me to be the spirit of B&B. I like it that way. A lot.
And let's not forget: B&B is all about sharing, looking at the huge bulk of info on gear and technique.
To end this mornings' sermon: let's applaude those members who keep B&B 'in the air', literally day and night, 24/7.
Thank you, gents 👍🏼

0988F9A3-2F56-431B-B7B6-4392E8B98055.gif

Last edited:
I joined here not long ago and was surprised to see all the giveaways/PIFS. When I finally decided to throw my name into a PIF I didnt get drawn but did still receive a very nice "consolation" prize from @luvmysuper. Completely unexpected but very much appreciated.

I have decided to put together a little giveaway myself soon. Not because I feel obligated but rather as has been said giving is very fulfilling.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
PIF’ing is good for everyone involved. I have also been on both sides of it. Quite rewarding to give back.

Another way to give back is to sell things you don’t use for a low price on BST. If you have a pricey razor you don’t use, move it on to the next person at a discount so they can try it. It’s good for the community.

And the St. Sue auction is a beautiful thing about the B&B as well. I keep a St. Sue pile throughout the year. If I have something I don’t use, I may put it in the pile. Then when October rolls around I don’t have to scour my collection for things to donate. I already have a bunch of stuff ready to go.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I've been part of pass around boxes that had an element of pif-ing to them, they were enjoyable, and been in a few swaps. Always nice, I tend to be a little picky on which ones I join/partake in, no particular reason, just looking for fit.

Top Bottom