What's new

The Joy of Dull Blades

THE QUESTIONS I hope to get input on in this thread are as follows:

__ What "dull" blades can you recommend?
__ what razor/blade combos can you recommend with those blades..?
__ And more generally, what are your experiences with "dull blades"..??

BACKGROUND:

Recently I have begun to truly appreciate the "joy of dull blades" -- that is, what great shaves I can get with blades I have previously rejected as being hopelessly "dull", after trying them more briefly.

I got the inspiration to pursue this in part from using straight razors in need of honing, and I am not very good yet at honing my straights..! But I discovered that a not-so-sharp straight is more forgiving, very "smooth", and actually can be a super enjoyable shaver.

So I wondered if I could achieve something similar with DE shaving, and started to use the DE blades again that I had once rejected as being "too dull".

The first blade to get resurrected was the Treet "Black Beauty" Carbon steel blade. So far it has worked best for me in a Merkur 34 G, i.e. not very aggressive razor. I am going with a very light hand, three passes, and get incredibly close and smooth shaves, no nicks or cuts whatsoever. I can actually press the razor against my skin too quite hard, ATG too, still without blood. In short, it seem that I can "move much more freely" with the razor than I can with a sharper blade. it makes for a super enjoyable shave. I am beginning to understand the meaning of "smooth" -- as it says about what I have so far merely considered "dull" DE blades. However, I find that I can only use a "black beauty" once ... if I try using it for several shaves, it just seems too dull to remove stubble effectively. But at the price of "black beauties" its no problem to trash it after just one use.

The next blade I am now giving a second chance is the Derby "Extra" (green label). This is a blade that I have usually "trash talked" as being one of the most hopeless blades I know ... well, what do you know, here I am finding myself really enjoying it now.

When I start thinking about it, Treet "Black Beauty" and Derby "Extra" are made in respectively Pakistan, and Turkey ... both places where most men typically have quite dense beard growth. Why on earth then would they not be able to manufacture good DE blades in Pakistan and Turkey...? It all begins to make more sense now -- these are super blades, it's only me who have to learn using them...!

Looking forward to your suggestions and input in this thread. / Thanks.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
It’s an interesting, paradigm-shifting topic. Some insight into it might be gained by reading some of the posts from the members of this club:

I don't get it. How come you previously decided the Treet blade is dull, but now it gives you perfect shaves in a very mild razor 34G. I personally don't mind using the blades you call "dull". I only have to use them in very aggressive razors. But that is a general rule most of the time. Mild razors need sharper blades. Aggressive razors are better used with mild blades. For instance, ask how many users here on the forum like the Tech + Feather blade combination.

"Dull" blades are designed to cut beard hair and they do or people wouldn't buy them. Every coated blade also gets sharper after first use.

I like Treets/Derby just fine. Ditto BIC or Feathers.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Many people misinterpret smooth blades as being dull because they don't have the same feel as a rough blade does. As to smooth blades, I find that the Israeli made Personna Chrome Platinum blades are the smoothest blades that I have tried. The German made ones I have no experience with. You can find the Israeli blades for sale at West Coast Shaving. The Israeli ones (Reds) look like this:
Personna.jpg

The German made blades look like this:
rsz_personna_platinum_packet_3.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Many people misinterpret smooth blades as being dull because they don't have the same feel as a rough blade does. As to smooth blades, I find that the Israeli made Personna Chrome Platinum blades are the smoothest blades that I have tried. The German made ones I have no experience with. You can find the Israeli blades for sale at West Coast Shaving. The Israeli ones (Reds) look like this:
View attachment 1263640

The German made blades look like this:
View attachment 1263642
I agree heartily and would note that the Crystals, also available at WCS, have pretty much the same characteristics as the PIRs.

Interesting concept!

For me, sharp blades are just the ticket. I especially appreciate the combination of a ‘mild/moderate’ razor plus a sharp, smooth blade!

Now, reasoning from that baseline I suggest you try combining an ‘aggressive’ razor with some dull blades. So, how about an R41 with some of the Chinese blade options that are too dull for me, such as Tian Li??
:a21: :a21:

Before I committed more to straight razors, I was more into aggressive DE razors -- the Muhle R41, and Fatip being two of my favourites. Of course I am familiar with the "aggressive razor, smooth blade" combo recommendation. It just never really seemed to work that way for me. A "dull" blade was a dull blade, and an aggressive razor was aggressive, no matter what blade I stuck into it. I have previously been quite fond of sharper blades in aggressive razors -- e.g. the Polsilver Iridium or Personna med prep in my R41 or fatip. That's still an enjoyable shave, but the blades / Combo I talk about in this thread just seem more forgiving, and actually very enjoyable, whereas before I thought that (for example) the Derby was horribly "tuggy" in a more aggressive razor, and I have to be more mindful to avoid nicks or razor burn with more aggressive equipment.

I can't really explain why the combo I now use, Merkur 34 w Treet black beauty or Derby seems to work very well (over three thorough passes, that is) -- it's more just an observation of fact, and a delightful surprise. Muhle R89 works well too, so a milder razor seems to work well for me with what I call a "dull" blade (I understand these blade are not really "dull" in a strict sense).
So recommendations of more "dull / smooth" blades, and for that matter "mild" DE razors, are very welcome.

M

mtcn77

Tried Shark in both Merkur 37C and Yaqi Agamemnon GlobeTrotter DOCS Top Aggressive Slant.

I found that if I follow the same progressive reduction method by starting level with the face and inclining the handle to the proper shaving angle in successive passes, they shave the same. It is just that the angle feel is better with Yaqi Agamemnon and you need the experience to replicate the same shave with Merkur. I find Merkur more advanced for this reason; to get a clean shave, you have to build up your technique on a more 'manual' razor.

I would love to get my hands on some Treet Carbons & Platinums, too. They are the dullest of the bunch, I'm sure they would be the smoothest yet.

I favor 'face feel' over almost any other blade characteristic. 'Sharp' and 'dull' aren't necessarily the terms I use to describe blades. I like a well-used Personna for example, and I'm willing to take one into the teens for uses before I toss it, but at some point it becomes inefficient and I bin it. It's not necessarily tuggy or draggy, but I find it quits giving as close of a shave or requires more passes to achieve the same results and that can result in a less pleasant shave as that can be mildly irritating to my skin.

That said I enjoy many blades I think people in here consider 'sharp' though I have to be slightly more careful with my technique with them. I also find some blades many people consider 'dull' to be less pleasant. I can shave with Dorco 300s and Derby Extras ( many people call them dull ) but they are just not as nice in the 'face feel' department to me ( mostly they are draggy and I don't like that sensation ). So I may find a well-used Personna to be a nice shave, but these 2 examples above I don't enjoy as much. Both would probably be described as 'dull'.

@Jens I'm with you 100%
I found out I love to shave with Derby Extra (newer version).
Even in my British Fat Handle Tech the Derby gives me the smoothest and most comfortable shave.

I used to trashtalk dull/mild blades before but now I really like them.
I would recommend Lord Platinum and Lord Super Chrome, very mild and smooth blades.
Longevity is on par with Derby Extra, I get three good shaves with them.

Right now my favorite combos are Gillette Flare Tip, Gillette Fat Handle Tech and Parker Semi-Slant together with Derby Extra, or Fatip Grande OC together with Lord Super Chrome

Is it more or less aggressive compared to the pre-war triangle slots? I know the post-war US Techs with oval slots are less agressive, but I don't have a British fat handle.
I only have three Tech's.
I have one aluminum Ball End, a brass Ball End and this Fat Handle.
All of them are British and post-war so I can't answer your question, sorry
But I can tell you that of the three the Fat Handle is the most aggressive and the aluminum is the mildest

@Jens I'm with you 100%
I found out I love to shave with Derby Extra (newer version).
Even in my British Fat Handle Tech the Derby gives me the smoothest and most comfortable shave.

I used to trashtalk dull/mild blades before but now I really like them.
I would recommend Lord Platinum and Lord Super Chrome, very mild and smooth blades.
Longevity is on par with Derby Extra, I get three good shaves with them.

Right now my favorite combos are Gillette Flare Tip, Gillette Fat Handle Tech and Parker Semi-Slant together with Derby Extra, or Fatip Grande OC together with Lord Super Chrome
@Hak.1963, now a good year on, I really appreciate your recommendation of the Lord Platinum blades especially. I got myself a 100 pack soon after your recommendation, and they are a regular in my rotation now (w various razors). Great blades, quite comparable to the Derby Extras. Thanks again!

Top Bottom