What's new

The Journey Begins

So... I introduced myself recently... briefly a 60 y/o with close to 45 years electric rotary....NEVER shaved with any kind of blade

getting started in DE....but wanted to try a cartridge first to build some confidence(for better or worse).....chose a Sensor3 Comfort 4 pack.
Waiting on brush and soap to use with my new KCG razor.

With the cartridge i used Nivea Sensitive Gel....closer that Ive gotten with rotary...a little burn but not too bad....compared with the rotary...somewhat less..

Questions: razor seems to jump and tug....is this as I suspect a function of the gel....or just finding the appropriate pressure? Im trying to understand and get a feel for light vs heavy pressure.....

I not planning on spending too much time with the cartridge(dont want to pick up bad habits)....but wanted to safely try a razor before moving to the KCG

Thoughts?

I used a cartridge razor for years and never found them that comfortable - I keep meaning to try one again, but I've accumulated other things that always seem like a better idea. Same with gel, though even with cartridges I'd prefer a brush.

I would be thinking in terms of light vs no pressure : if we're looking at heavy pressure we're already on the wrong side of the equation. This is likely to be the difficult bit, as from what I remember of electric razors there's a lot of pushing it into the face that goes on. The other thing to consider with the DE will be the angle, and if you prefer riding the cap or the guard or going for maximum blade feel (which might be different for different razors).

On a DE, SE, shavette or straight razor jumping and tugging would suggest a bad edge, but at this point so much of it is going to be technique that I'm wary of suggesting that.

It'll take practice. Annoying motoring analogy : it's about following the road rather than where you're trying to get.

Welcome aboard!

Many years since I used a shaving gel, so I really cannot really answer your question. With that caveat, my general approach is to focus on technique first, especially:
#1. Proper razor angle (which depends on the particular razor’s geometry), and
#2. NO pressure (really the absolute minimum that keeps the razor in contact with your face).

For me, ‘tugging’ means that my lather consistency is off or that the blade is dull.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. Nothing wrong with cartridge razors but the King C Gillette is a great DE safety razor. You will enjoy it I am sure.

So... I introduced myself recently... briefly a 60 y/o with close to 45 years electric rotary....NEVER shaved with any kind of blade

getting started in DE....but wanted to try a cartridge first to build some confidence(for better or worse).....chose a Sensor3 Comfort 4 pack.
Waiting on brush and soap to use with my new KCG razor.

With the cartridge i used Nivea Sensitive Gel....closer that Ive gotten with rotary...a little burn but not too bad....compared with the rotary...somewhat less..

Questions: razor seems to jump and tug....is this as I suspect a function of the gel....or just finding the appropriate pressure? Im trying to understand and get a feel for light vs heavy pressure.....

I not planning on spending too much time with the cartridge(dont want to pick up bad habits)....but wanted to safely try a razor before moving to the KCG

Thoughts?
Hi Mr. Teal.

I understand your prudence by starting with a cartridge razor first but in all honesty, you might as well just let that all go and get started with a double-edge safety razor. Just go slow and do your best to feel the angle of the blade. This "feel" thing has a lot to do with the specific razor you're using as each has a different shape and way of holding whatever blade you're using in it.

Go with a mild razor to start with and have fun. The best advice I can give you is to not spare any expense on the soap/cream you use. We call all honestly get by with cheap razors and cheap brushes, but a good high-quality soap makes a world of difference.

My belief is that anything "gel" is not going to give you the kind of protection a good tallow-based soap (and many artisan non-tallow soaps) can. If I was going to point you a good direction in terms of protective quality, scent, longevity of the product and price, I'd say check out Stirling Shave Company. They make some fantastic tallow soaps. They also have a 5 sample set for something like $19.

Welcome to B&B where the people are amazing and we gather information by taking trips down the rabbit holes.
The only bits of guidance I will emphasize, since others are more a master of techniques than I am, is to relax, take your time, and hydrate between each pass. Speed is only advisable after your technique is solid. I choose to shave in the evening and use it as a sort of wind down meditation time.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

I notice there is always jump or skip on the first passes and tug if I apply too much pressure. The key for me is a very light touch and to trust that the blade is cutting. ( I think of it as skimming over the top of the whiskers). A thin lather also helps. I am always surprised after a jumpy first pass how much progress is detected by the second. After two passes with grain and two against there are only a couple of hard to shave spots that still have some drag.
Some will tell you that any jumping or drag is unacceptable. I suspect that most of them throw out there blades after one or two shaves.

Top Bottom