What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I joined the lug nut group too. I like how the nylon washers allow me to snug up the handle just that little bit more. Not over tighten... just tight enough so it will never come loose when I'm shaving.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I joined the lug nut group too. I like how the nylon washers allow me to snug up the handle just that little bit more. Not over tighten... just tight enough so it will never come loose when I'm shaving.
I'm just used to the metal to metal contact feeling from loading parts in fixtures, then either clamping with levers, or tightening screws, on millions and millions of parts at work.

That click, that solid thud when a part seats and you know it's ready. There is that feel when the screw just stops turning, not over-tight, as that would warp or damage the part.

Most of the parts I worked on were small and a 3/16" Allen Wrench was about the largest we used.
Some parts were so sensitive we used an .0001" indicator on the part as we tightened it down, you would just have the tip of your finger on the wrench.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I worked on equipment with tolerances of .001" but no where near .0001". Well, the placements of components were .001". The machines probably had great tolerances in their manufacturing. I worked on some of the machines we carried, but not the robotic ones.

I never did what you did and now do. I find your work and work history interesting.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
BADGERary
Tech Tuesday

Razor:
1947 Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson (5)
Brush: Torga Mistura C3
Soap: Fine Italian Citrus
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla
20230124_183206[1].jpg

Wow, what a great razor this is, comfortable and efficient.
Just what I needed for another of my one pass shaves, the FBT ups the anti in the efficiency category compared to my venerable and beautiful Red Tip, and is more comfortable while doing so.

Rust from improper storage of the original blades in the NOS package had pitted the cap, but thanks to Chris at Back Roads Gold, the cap is now immaculate and shiny to go with the rest of the razor.

The C3 Mistura continues to get better with each shave, so it's gonna stay in the line-up until the end of the month.

All the post shave products worked together in unison to finish off a very nice shave.

Have some Great Shaves

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I worked on equipment with tolerances of .001" but no where near .0001". Well, the placements of components were .001". The machines probably had great tolerances in their manufacturing. I worked on some of the machines we carried, but not the robotic ones.

I never did what you did and now do. I find your work and work history interesting.
The machines I worked on had .00001" readouts and offset capability. Six decimal places in thread-cutting mode. You get used to it, but it used to freak out the new guys when they found out the tolerances we held. Every machine was lasered on a regular basis to insure accuracy.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The machines I worked on had .00001" readouts and offset capability. Six decimal places in thread-cutting mode. You get used to it, but it used to freak out the new guys when they found out the tolerances we held. Every machine was lasered on a regular basis to insure accuracy.

~doug~
We sold PC assembly equipment and printed circuit board manufacturing consumables and equipment. So the machines could place a component within .001". You know how tolerances stack up. I would guess the machines themselves had to be built to higher tolerances so they could move, pick up a component, travel to the PC board site, lower it... then gently place it in solder paste within .001".

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Some of the inspection equipment we used.
View attachment 1593912View attachment 1593913
~doug~
For those that are interested, the top picture shows the Mitutoyo Super Micrometer being calibrated with a set of Johansen Blocks. The Johansen Blocks have to sent out to the National Bureau of Standards for calibration twice a year.
The bottom picture shows a part being measured.

The average thickness of a human hair is .003", each hash mark on the dial represents .00005".

We split hairs.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
BADGERary
Wednesday SOTD

Razor:
Gillette New LC
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson (6)
ASL: the "Veg"
20230125_194307[1].jpg

What started out to be another of my patented one pass WTG shaves turned into a one pass WTG, and an ATG pass on my neck.

On my face and the upper part of my neck the New LC felt comfortable and moderately efficient, but began to struggle when I got to the base of my neck where my stubble changes directions.
It is usually not a problem with my One Pass WTG shaves, so I suspect the blade either is/was transitioning to long-term, or it's time to bin it.

I instinctively grabbed my C3 Mistura from the PAA brush warmer and lathered my neck, then shaved up to my jawline ATG.
The New LC was comfortable shaving my neck ATG, very comfortable in fact.

Very efficient, no. I binned the blade.

The Witch hazel warmed me up for the burn that came with the "Veg" and the Nivea balm was waiting to put it's stamp on a Fine Comfortable Shave.

Have some Great Shaves

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
BADGERary
Tech Thursday

Razor:
Gillette Blue with GTB Midget handle (25grams)
Blade: Super Gillette Blue (1)
ASL: Skin Bracer
20230126_192837.jpg

Another fine one pass shave in the books, this time with the Chinese Super Blue Razor and a Chinese Super Blue Blade.
The handle that comes with the Super Blue razor is a crummy piece of plastic and metal, so I made a GTB Midget handle for it.
It is the same weight as most of my vintage Gillette razor handles(24.7grams) and is 12.3mm x 78mm.
Tapped for 10-32 threads, it will fit my vintage Gillette, Karve, and Fatip razors, but not my modern razors with an M5 thread.

I found the Super Blue razor to be slightly more comfortable and efficient than my New LC and there was no need for an extra ATG pass on my neck.
The razor did play a nice song as it hummed through 24 hours of stubble and was very easy on my neck.

The Witch hazel felt nice, the Skin Bracer refreshing, and the Nivea balm a nice finishing touch. I'll definitely need to shave again soon.
Next up is my 1967 Tech (M4) which the Super Blue razor is patterned after to get an honest opinion between the two razors.
20230126_211544.jpg

In case anyone is interested, all the parts are interchangeable between these two razors.

Have some Great Shaves

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Doug, I assume these are Zamak caps and aluminium baseplates? Or something else? My local webshop had the razor and blades in stock and I somewhat like the embossed logo.

Guido
Guido, both razors have Zamak caps. The Chinese baseplate is aluminum, and is 2.6 grams, but the US made baseplate is brass, and is 10.5 grams. The Chinese cap is also 2 grams lighter than the US version.

Chinese Super Blue razor cap and baseplate-10.8 grams
US made Tech(M4) cap and baseplate-20.7 grams
20230127_075505.jpg
20230127_075535.jpg

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
BADGERary
Wolfman Sunday
(morning shave)

Razor: WR2 .95
Blade: Super Gillette Blue (3)
Soap: Shave Chaser
ASL: Shave Chaser

20230129_081237.jpg

This razor is amazing. I had suspected my last two subpar shaves with Techs were the result of the Super Gillette Blue (3), and this shave confirmed that.
In spite of the subpar performance of the not so super blade, I still got a very nice and comfortable two pass WTG shave.
Who knows, I might try a Derby in my WR2 just to see how it shaves with my absolute worst blade. I still have a 10 pack of the blues from 3-4 years ago.
The Semogue C3 Mistura continues to get better with every shave, I briefly thought of using another brush to start the week, but the thought quickly passed.
The Witch hazel felt great, the Shave Chaser followed up with a nice cool breeze, and the Nivea balm was very, very welcome.

I binned the blade, anybody need a tuck of Super Gillette Blue blades?

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
BADGERary
MdC Monday

Razor:
Prewar Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Soap: MdC Agrumes
ASL: the "Veg"
20230130_214657[1].jpg

My Prewar Tech delivered a nice comfortable two pass WTG shave. The Prewar Tech, touted as a less mild version than the later models, still needs at least two passes for me to get a decent shave.
I did get a weeper above my Adam's Apple on my first pass, which only seems to happen with mild razors and fresh blades. I must make a note of that for the future.
The blade did seem to get smoother and more comfortable on the second WTG pass, but never really got quiet.
I would have needed an ATG pass for that to happen, and then I might not need to shave for three days.

All I needed was 4, or was it 5 swirls of MdC to get all the lather I needed for a four pass shave. That meant plenty for my two pass shave.
The C3 Mistura continues to find it's way into my hand when it comes time for a shave as it pleasantly breaks in.

The Which hazel felt warm, and the "Veg" fuzzy, with the Nivea balm all snuggles after an OK shave.

Have some Great Shaves

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
BADGERary
Tech Tuesday

Razor:
Korean War Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Soap: SV 70th
ASL: Pinaud Clubman
20230131_181505.jpg

I would be remiss if I didn't get my Korean War Tech out of the garage to finish up BADGERary after my other techs had a chance to strut their stuff.
My Y2 Tech has a magnetic baseplate because there was a shortage of brass during the Korean Conflict and it is made of steel.

Only my Prewar Tech has a smaller gap, but even so, this is the mildest Tech I have, so I afforded it a two pass, WTG, ATG shave.
This razor definitely rewards short, quick almost chopping strokes to get the maximum efficiency with it. Long slow sweeping strokes will leave you with plenty of stubble for the next pass, and the next, and the next.

Two passes and most of my face and neck is smooth, only the hollows under my jawline feel rough. I'm sure that with four passes I could get a better result, but that's not gonna happen. I wouldn't need to shave for three days.

My Semogue C3 Mistura has really impressed me as it continues to get better with each use, it is easily my favorite Semogue, and sits proudly next to my Black Omega Silvertip.

The Witch hazel felt nice and smooth, the Clubman made me feel like a woman's man, and the Nivea balm sealed the deal.
WhichyPoo said I smelled very good.

It was a nice shave, and the Y2 is going back in the garage.

Have some Great Shaves

~doug~

Top Bottom