What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Surprising that; of the two, rigid razors; Karve was the happy clamper
Could be the 6 month old Proline starting to show some wear. Could be the aluminum baseplate not providing the stability of the SS baseplate.
BOSC.2.FurtherStudiesRequred.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Shave Mail_.jpg

20200901_215531[1].jpg20200901_215608[1].jpg20200901_215659[1].jpg
I placed my order the day this race took place, August 6.
20200901_215834[1].jpg

This is the Factory Stock Showdown, where cars from Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge compete. The cars are originally factory prepared race cars, with no VIN. Only a serial number, as they are not intended for street use, even though they started life as a factory street car.
20200901_220013.jpg

50 year old Angelle Sampey won her 43rd Pro Stock Motorcycle race on a Harley Davidson, with 3 NHRA Championships to her credit, she is certifiably hot!!!

The new Mistura sure feels like it has come backbone..............

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wednesday, September 9
Grande Mk1
Gillette Platinum(2)
Semogue Mistura
Vitos Extra Super Coco
the Veg

The Mistura went through a few soakings and rinse cycles, with only a mild funk, then Dawn, and a few more rinses, then I let it dry out a few days. As the retirement stubble had continued to grow unshaven I have been making use of my Blue Timeless lathering bowl to start the break-in process. And the Mistura has been a real lather monster right from the start. Backbone it has plenty, about the same as my smaller Omega 10290.
20200903_123242[1].jpg

The new Mistura is definitely more substantial than the Omega 10290 on the right.
It is starting to splay nicely, but not as much as my Omega badgers have.
20200903_123438[1].jpg

The newest Omega with the tortoise handle has also been getting time bowl lathering, blooming the most of all.

I was going to bowl lather and the brush was plenty wet when I gave it 20 swirls of Vitos Extra Super Coco, but instead I almost automatically started to face lather, with the stubble soaking up a lot of the water. It was still pretty sloppy at first, then started to lather up really nice.
Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg
With 720 hours of growth and a nice layer of Vitos Extra Super Coco on my face, I loaded up a Gillette Platinum(2) in my Grande Mk1 for the task. There was no fiddling required to align the blade, just the usual Fatip twist.
One sweep from my left sideburn to my cheek and it was time for a rinse. I must not have rinsed all of the stubble out, because it missed a lot on the right side until I rinsed some more. The stubble put up a fight, having to rinse after every stroke filling up with the valiant soldiers.

After the first WTG passes I rinsed my face to reveal lots of long hairs that were missed as the razor was too full and just glided over. After a good rinsed I lathered up again as there was still plenty in the brush for a full second pass. I started the second pass on my right side and the razor easily slid from my sideburn to the bottom of my neck, and repeated on both sides, then finished my neck with more WTG passes.

As much as the stubble put a fight on the first pass, it barely put up a fuss on the second pass, I did get a tiny nick as I was maneuvering to get a few long stragglers.

I rubbed on some HA then Witch hazel and the Veg. There was no stinging at all, but the shave wasn't all that close either. But good enough to last me until the weekend, or next Wednesday......
20200909_104751[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Monday, September 21

Karve C OC
Gillette Platinum(3)
SE1 SS
Proline(14)
Omega Tortoise Silver Tip
Mike's Natural Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-ylang
Pinaud Clubman

I gave the new Omega a few shakes, 30 good swirls and started to paint my 12 day stubble from the neck up. Not using much pressure with the brush it still covers plenty of area. There was one extra thick bristle that I found and yanked out, but I can still feel just a little of prickyness.
Maybe I am confusing it with scritch, I felt it when I was palm lathering with it, but most of it disappeared when I removed the recalcitrant bristle.
As I started to use more pressure and splay the brush I could feel more backbone and scrub than my Black Silver Tip has.
It did take the Black Silver Tip almost 50 shaves to really start to feel luxurious.

With a well hydrated lather I picked up the Karve and put the razor to my left sideburn and started shaving my face N-S using no pressure and short strokes. The stubble put up little resistance, but I kept the water running and rinsed often.
After getting to the jawline I picked up the SE1 and started to shave the right side of my face using similar strokes as my left side. The stubble did seem to put up a little more resistance, but I noticed as I started to decrease the angle it cut much smoother.
When I got to the jawline I started to stretch my face a little and shaved my neck N-S, still using almost no pressure, but using more of the cap than the guard. Rinsing often, I had to go over a few spots a few times to catch one or two errant strands.
Then I picked up the Karve to shave the left side of my neck, I found it easier to maneuver, but it clogged up with stubble from under my chin and neck 4 times.

I finished up under my lips and chin with the SE1.

The SE1 never clogged up. I did no clean-up or touch-up passes, just a one pass on each side shave.

After rubbing some hyaluronic acid into my damp skin, I splashed on the Witch hazel, then the Clubman. There was zero tingle or sting, just a nice clean refreshing slick feeling over a SAS.
After cleaning up the razors I finished up with Nivea balm.

I'm definitely more presentable than I was this morning, and my face is very happy. There was no trace of razor burn or any irritation on either side.

Because the SE1 is wider than the Karve, the SE1 seemed to have to work a little harder. If I had used the D plate on the Karve, it might not have plugged up either.
I'm gonna have to give it some time to decide which razor did a better job. The pluses and minuses seem to even out right now, with the SE1 getting a slight edge only because it never clogged up.
20200921_180258[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm surprised.
Even my Mk1 struggles after a weeks worth of growth, but there was no clear winner between the Karve and the SE1 with 12 days of stubble. Two days later looks the same. I'm starting to get used to not shaving daily.........

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
HAWKalicious Thursday!
Many of our loyal clients missed the initial launch of the V3 Stainless Steel Hawk razor because demand was more than we could handle. Good news! They are now back in stock!
RazoRock Stainless Steel HAWK Single-Edge Razor - v3
$74.99

We also have the perfect blade for the SS Hawk V3. Be sure to pick up a 30 pack of Schick Proline P-30s from Japan, see below!
Schick P-30 Proline Artist Club Style Blades - 30 Pack
$21.99
The Schick Proline blades are high-quality blades that are made in Japan. The blades were made for the Schick Proline razor but they are also made to the same specs as the Feather Artist Club blades. They can be used with Feather Artist Club razors, RazoRock Hawk Razors, and Kai Razors. The Schick Proline blades are sharp and smooth and a great value compared to other similar blades.
Some of our clients tell us the best shave they've ever had is with the RazoRock V3 SS Hawk and a P-30 blade, if you haven't seen the Hawk razor, you can find it HERE:
I just got this from IB, if anyone is looking for Prolines.......

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Even my Mk1 struggles after a weeks worth of growth, but there was no clear winner between the Karve and the SE1 with 12 days of stubble. Two days later looks the same. I'm starting to get used to not shaving daily.........

I would have expected a difference in closeness of the shave, if not the ease of the shave. The other difference, for me, would be shaving ATG first pass. I would expect the SE 1 to do that much more easily.

HAWKalicious Thursday!
Many of our loyal clients missed the initial launch of the V3 Stainless Steel Hawk razor because demand was more than we could handle. Good news! They are now back in stock!
RazoRock Stainless Steel HAWK Single-Edge Razor - v3
$74.99
We also have the perfect blade for the SS Hawk V3. Be sure to pick up a 30 pack of Schick Proline P-30s from Japan, see below!
$21.99
The Schick Proline blades are high-quality blades that are made in Japan. The blades were made for the Schick Proline razor but they are also made to the same specs as the Feather Artist Club blades. They can be used with Feather Artist Club razors, RazoRock Hawk Razors, and Kai Razors. The Schick Proline blades are sharp and smooth and a great value compared to other similar blades.
Some of our clients tell us the best shave they've ever had is with the RazoRock V3 SS Hawk and a P-30 blade, if you haven't seen the Hawk razor, you can find it HERE:
I just got this from IB, if anyone is looking for Prolines.......
$100 for a stainless Hawk and blades is better than ~$400 for a razor only. Even if it isnt gold plated lol. I'll think on that a while. Thanks for mentioning they have them again Doug.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Sunday, September 27

Karve C OC
Gillette Platinum(4)
Omega 618 Silver Tip
Mike's Natural Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-ylang
Pinaud Clubman Nivea Sensitive Balm

I have been using tap water for the past 2 months instead of bottled water, but I used bottled water tonight because even though the Mike's has been giving me comfortable shaves, building the lather seems to take more work than most of my other soaps. I also used my Timeless lathering bowl, as I have been using that a lot for breaking in brushes.
After what seemed like an eternity of whipping and adding more water, I let the lather sit in the bowl while I soaked my whiskers with a towel soaked in warm water. The lather still wasn't thickening up the way I like it, but I started painting it on with my nicely broken-in Omega, seeing as it wasn't going to get any thicker I took the brush back to the puck for a few swirls and started more face lathering, splaying and swirling the brush to fully moisten my whiskers. I really like this brush. It is soft, but not plush. I has some backbone. The scrub is good scrub. There is no scritch.

This will be my first full shave with the Karve.

With 144 hours since my last shave I put the Karve to my left sideburn and started with a nice sweeping pass, slow and steep I let the razor go around my jawline and stopped just shy of the scar, then proceeded with two more passes on my left side and rinsed.
Switching to my right side, the pass was the same, except as there is no scar to impede my travel, I continued on all the way down my neck on the first pass, then just around my jawline to under my neck the next two passes like the left side.
I shaved under my lips and chin N-S then rinsed and shaved my neck N-S.

As I was shaving my neck I was only tilting my head to stretch my skin. I did no skin stretching at all on my face and jawline.
While shaving my neck I also varied the angle somewhat, starting steep, moving to neutral then back to steep, I noticed the blade felt much smoother as I started to ride more of the radius on the guard, in fact it actually tickled a few of the whiskers at the base of my neck as it removed them.

Yes, I felt the blade tickle my whiskers. The blade does not flex at all. It was very comfortable.

With a bowl full of not so great lather, and my face feeling like I had not shaved yet I whipped up the lather in the bowl and proceeded to paint my face again.
I could have just rinsed and been done with the shave, it was already plenty close enough, but the brush felt so nice on my face I went back to the puck and face lathered for a second pass.

I shaved my face and chin nose to ear, the Karve providing plenty of audible feedback as I kept the angle mostly neutral for maximum comfort. I shaved my neck N-S again, keeping the razor easily at it's sweet spot somewhere between neutral and mildly steep.

I don't remember how much pressure I was using, it must have been just enough. I know the blade was there, I could almost feel it. I can sense it. I can feel how sharp it is. Even with a gap of .034" , the razor does not feel aggressive. It doesn't even feel like it has a gap.....

I rinsed my face, then enjoyed the post shave feel as I cleaned up my gear, my face still not feeling as though I had just shaved. The Witch hazel was uneventful, but the Clubman was almost blissful. I used the Nivea to finish.

Tonight's shave was wonderful. The comfort level was maximum.
20200927_190343[1].jpg

Even with a gap of .034" , the razor does not feel aggressive. It doesn't even feel like it has a gap.....

I wonder if that's the case with the D plates and higher.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I wonder if that's the case with the D plates and higher.
I will find out when I try the D plate, as I got both the C and D OC baseplates, right now I am thoroughly enjoying the C plate.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Shave Mail_.jpg

From Germany

20200930_181545[1].jpg

My brother sent most of this stuff for my 15 yr old son, his old chess set came from Switzerland when he first moved over the pond during the mid 1980's, my daughter has dibs on the pocket knife, I'm gonna snag the shave stick. Not sure what that thing in the Gillette package is though :o11:
20200930_181635[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Found this old work badge from 1982. It's been a long time since I have sported a 'stache like that :scared::euro:
20201004_110117[1].jpg