The Journal of a Backwards Professor

NON-SOTD
Razor:
Wahl Groomsman
Blade: none
Brush: Omega 49
Soap: Vitos Extra Super Coco
ASL: the "Veg"

SWMBO told me in no uncertain terms this evening that I needed to shave my face, as she is very displeased with the immerging stubble that is becoming apparent on said face. This was at 9 pm, just after she was finished in the shower.
Of course when I asked her just when I was supposed to shave, the reply came back "You can shave any time during the day because you are retired".

So I watched a Matty Conrad video on how to shape a two week beard and got out my old Wahl Groomsman for the task.

Curious to see the result :001_rolle

Yep, we are just dipping our feet in the pond, but getting ready to dive in head first. Having a condo to sell does help, last time I was a first time buyer, this time I have equity, and a little extra saved up. I think most people have been waiting for California to open back up, then who knows where the market will turn.
My first new house was purchased mid 70’s interest rates 17- 20% Second new house in “89” interest rates 9% My present and third new house “06” interest rates were 6% and now lower again. I always found more houses available when interest rates were lower. I found all three houses to be too expensive and I was short of money on every one. In time it always seemed to level out and no regrets on any. When you need to deal for whatever reason the market is an incidental. It levels out. Covid has touched and effected most things without anyone having a grip or predictable opinion. Finding the house to suit your needs is the biggie. Good luck on your hunt Doug.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
NON-SOTD

Razor:
Piccolo with Custom Cal @Cal LHF handle
Blade: none
Brush: Semogue Mistura
Soap: Proraso Red
ASL: Proraso Red

What a great kit! The handle is so light I can't even feel it, and I didn't feel the blade either it was soooo smooth. I wonder if that is because I forgot to put the blade in my razor again? The stubble does seem to be getting longer. :letterk1:
20210713_100426[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
High Efficiency SOTD

Razor:
Ti 95 SB @Rosseforp Ti/Bronze LHF
Blade: Shark SS (1)
Brush: Shavemac 22/50
Soap: Proraso Green
ASL: Skin Bracer
ASB: Nivea balm

Did somebody say it's Shark Week?

Well, the stubble was getting a bit long since the last time I shaved under my neck, so I decided a little trim was in order after my 4 1/2 mile walk this morning.

I have noticed that the hair on the lower part of my neck grows sideways, from the center out. This means that no matter if I shave N-S or S-N, it is XTG.

I used my small ceramic bowl to get the lather started, as I'm not shaving my face, so face lathering is mostly out. A little neck lathering and that is about it.

So today I started my shave with a center to ear pass and the shark drew blood almost immediately. It also didn't appear to be cutting anything besides my skin very efficiently, so I quickly reverted to a N-S pass to finish up the right side of my neck.
The bleeding stopped mostly on its own, and I shaved the left side of my neck in the normal N-S manner, with the shark drawing no more blood.

The shave was actually quite smooth and close. I really never felt the blade, and the shave, was there was of it, was relatively irritation free.

I finished up with the Witch hazel and a splash of Mennen Skin Bracer to go along with the Proraso Green, with the Nivea balm soothing the savage beast.
20210719_174010[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
High Efficiency SOTD

Razor:
Ti 95 SB
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Soap: Dutch Resistance
ASL: Layrite No 9

N-S, S-N, just the lower part of my neck. Very comfortable.

SWMBO has been letting me know that the lengthening stubble on my face is not desirable, but has shown no signs of allowing me to shave when I actually want to, even throwing a puck of Vitos at me yesterday morning. I ducked and left it where it sits.

Luckily Melbourne Air finally delivered my shipment of Dutch Resistance from Squadron and I will be able to put up a bit of a fight!

The Dutch Resistance soap is quite soft, and the bowl lather was on the runny side. This is the first time I have lathered this soap and I might have overly hydrated it because I haven't bowl lathered much for the past year.

I do like the scent, it is not overpowering at all and I can see me using it on a semi-regular basis once I get the water ratio figured out. The performance was right up there with all my other soaps, but I will probably leave the cover off for a week or so to let it dry out some and harden a bit.

Ducking for cover.
20210727_100046[2].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
High Efficiency SOTD

Razor:
Ti 95 SB
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
Brush: Shavemac 26/52

I got out my blue plastic Timeless bowl for lathering today, and it seemed like it took a bit of time, but I got a very slick lather out of it.
It was so slick that I just buffed away, N-S, S-N, on the lower part of my neck. I could barely feel the blade, but I could feel it slicing through and reducing the stubble as the razor just seemed to glide over my skin.
The lower part of my neck is also the most prone to irritation, and there was none today, the comfort level being equal or slightly better than my Slim on #4, while being more efficient.

I am finding the licorice scent pleasant, not overpowering in any way at all, and seems to pair nicely with the "Veg" and Layrite No 9.

Very nice shave.
20210730_144353[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Mild/Medium Efficiency SOTD

Razor:
Fatip Gentile @Cal Custom LHF
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Brush: Simpson PJ2

Today was Freshman Orientation day at my daughter's High School, so I dropped her off at 8:00 am and went for my 3 1/2 mile walk before the temperature began to rise.
Lucky for me it was only 80 degrees when I got back, as it is a toasty 101 degrees in the Inland Empire now, at 1:00 pm.

The lady of the house suggested I let her trim my stubble for me after demanding to know when I was planning on shaving it off last night. :hand:
The last time I looked, the tub of Vitos is still sitting on the floor where she threw it the other day. Maybe I should tell her there was a month of shaves in that tub.:devil:
My daughter says the mustache is ok, but she doesn't like all the white hairs under my neck.
I think it makes me look distinguished. :kyle1:

Since my newest LHF handle will only fit a Fatip razor, I used my Gentile baseplate as I don't want to be taking a bite out of my emerging stubble of a beard with an open comb.
Another N-S, S-N shave on the lower part of my neck, definitely more blade feel than with my Ti95. The efficiency feels on par with the Ti95, but it is not as comfortable.
This is not to say it was not a comfortable shave, but the Ti95 is a clear winner when it comes to comfort, and I am only shaving the most sensitive part of my neck right now.

The PJ2 was the highlight of the shave, it continues to improve with each shave, the licorice jelly bean scent is just present enough to make me want to sniff it all during the shave, and the application was simply wonderful.
It was a good shave, buffing was involved and there was no irritation afterwards. The post shave products all worked in unison for a nice finish.

Closeness is not the priority here, comfort is.
20210802_093036[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Mild/Medium Efficiency SOTD

Razor:
Gem Bullet Tip
Blade: Gem SS (1)

What a nice razor this is.

Four days of stubble on my neck gone on the first WTG pass, then two ATG passes to silence the critics.
The blade I mainly felt on the ATG passes, which in my case is the S-N pass on my neck. It is more of a XTG both ways, but it sure feels like ATG when going S-N.

I'm not saying it was uncomfortable shaving ATG with my Bullet Tip, but the blade made it's presence known as it razed off what was left from the first pass.

This razor shaves close. The Witch hazel stung a bit, and the "Veg" made it's presence known, but in a good way. Nivea balm sealed the deal.

Still letting the stubble on my face and chin grow in length, as the Vitos is still laying on the floor where SWMBO threw it two weeks ago. Our Wal-Mart greeter that has an 18" goatee even made a comment that it looked like I was growing a beard yesterday.

If somebody doesn't pick that tub of Vitos off the floor by the time we move, I will have a pretty nice beard come Christmas time!
20210806_094418[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
After dropping the kids off at High School this morning I took a short drive to check out the closest park to our new home. Less than a mile away is Pikes Peak Park.
20210811_083315.jpg

The scenery is awesome, and you know right away this is horse country, as the signs across the street from the park attest, not to mention the horse paths.
20210811_083332.jpg

20210811_083404.jpg

The kiddie park is outfitted in similar fashion.
20210811_082702.jpg

Not to mention the back entrance to the park is a horse path.
20210811_082819.jpg

Complete with a stable to park your ride.
20210811_082944.jpg

I think I will have to park my 'stang in the parking lot with all the cars however. Lol

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
House.jpg

Sunday is the final Walkthrough, we are supposed to get the keys on Tuesday :letterk1:

So in anticipation I decided to tidy up a bit.

A Tic Above Medium Efficiency SOTD

Razor:
GC84-P TiHip LHF
Blade: Wizamet SI(1)
Soap: Mystery Bowl

Today's lower neck shave was very nice. Comfortable, efficient and smooth, what more could I ask for?
Cute-Bumble-Bee-Tattoo-on-Knee.jpg
This is the TiHip LHF handle I made from a 3M Titanium Hip Stem implant that I originally made in 1981. Well, actually it is one that I scrapped and took home with me.
I was still learning how to set-up CNC Milling machines at the time, and I, uh, inputted the wrong numbers into the CNC Control. Oops.
Hey, I DID show it to the boss first, and his comment was to "Get it the **** out of here before someone else finds out." I wasn't worried about getting fired, but we did have about $1200 of machining and material costs into it at the time and I knew someone was going to be pretty unhappy about it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My GC84-P is one of my favorite razors, and this handle really puts it over the top.

This is a great kit.
20210812_130122[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
We got the keys to our new house yesterday, and I have been pretty busy getting things ordered as we are planning on a complete remodel of the kitchen, and of course, the Man-Cave. I even got around to taking a picture with my Chevy Volt in the driveway 🏎
20210820_082323[1].jpg

And one with my smiling face and two months of stubble, I really wouldn't call it a beard...
20210821_002413[1].jpg

And the Vitos? I finally picked it up from where it landed two weeks ago after SWMBO threw it at me. The last time she asked me when I was going to shave I said maybe next year.
20210821_002641[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Maximum Efficiency SOTW

Razor:
Karve SB G TiHip LHF
Blade: Wizamet SI(2)
Brush: Simpson PJ2
Soap: Mystery Bowl

My neck was feeling itchy this morning, then I realized that it had been 8 days since my last shave so I got out the Karve SB G to see how it compares to my beloved GC84-P.

There is blade feel, it is smooth, 3 passes and I'm good to go. That is all, I got a lawn to mow.
20210821_083731[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Got the lawn mowed and I thought I would show some pictures of the view from my front porch 🏡
20210821_170940.jpg
20210821_171017.jpg
20210821_171109.jpg
20210821_171141.jpg

Lots of nice scenery, I have met a few of the neighbors already and looking forward to learning about the neighborhood.
A few photos from inside the garage after a little cleaning and hooking up my old Blaupunkt car stereo. The signs were already there. There aren't any horses in these pictures, but there are horses everywhere, this is Horsetown USA!
20210821_204220.jpg
20210821_204248.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
As the painters are finishing up with the interior of our new house, I am turning my attention to the future Man-Cave. It seems that one of the previous owner's of our house thought he was a Handyman and built a room inside the garage for some unknown reason. The lady we bought it from used it for a pantry, and apparently only used the garage for storage, as there was not enough room to park even one car inside.

Well, I plan on parking two cars inside the garage, so destruction of the offending room has begun.

Oh, yeah, I still haven't had time to shave, so we will just leave it at that.
20210831_114258[1].jpg

The offending room.
20210831_114209[1].jpg

20210830_170549[1].jpg20210831_114432[1].jpg
20210830_163417[1].jpg

One last look.
20210831_141247[1].jpg
20210831_141324[1].jpg

It is truly amazing after cleaning up some of the mess how much extra room there is!!!

Top Bottom