What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

@Tanuki - maybe this one if you hit the lottery?

You made me look! 69€ for a boar!

I currently trying to take delivery of two Semogue SOC brushes from Portuguese Factory. They (PF) are a wonderful resource, but the pandemic and the US Post Office are trying hard to limit me to the paltry 17 or so boars I currently have.

Do the math:
2 x SOC boars (from PF) < 1 Masamune boar

Anyway, I should probably stop watching this thread for the health and safety of my wallet.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You made me look! 69€ for a boar!

I currently trying to take delivery of two Semogue SOC brushes from Portuguese Factory. They (PF) are a wonderful resource, but the pandemic and the US Post Office are trying hard to limit me to the paltry 17 or so boars I currently have.

Do the math:
2 x SOC boars (from PF) < 1 Masamune boar

Anyway, I should probably stop watching this thread for the health and safety of my wallet.
enablersrus.png

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SUPER SOTD

Saturday, July 11
A4 Flare Tip Super Speed
Feather(3)
Omega 10005 Shave #13
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Skin Bracer

Since it was a Saturday, I wanted to try out the A4 Flare Tip Super Speed(Birth Quarter) that I just picked up a few weeks ago. I already have an A4 Red Tip, now all I need is an A4 Blue Tip to complete the trifecta.

In going with the Super Saturday theme, I lathered up a nice bowl of Vitos Extra Super Coco. Using the Feather that gave me irritation in my FOCS(2), I started with my usual N-S pass under my nose and the blade felt nice. As I freestyled around my lips I could feel the blade gently removing the stubble while keeping the guard firmly against my cheeks. It felt comfortable as I shaved nose to ear on my face, then very smooth as it glided down my neck. The only place that I buffed was the usual tough spot under my left jawline.

I'm getting more convinced that it is the nerve that got sliced during my surgery that is making it difficult to remove the stubble there, as when I am shaving under my left jaw, the top of my left ear tingles.....Weird as all get-out feeling.

The 10005 made a really nice lather in the bowl and the second time I lathered up my face was Super. A nice steep ATG pass, well, I had to adjust the angle a little from full steep to find the sweet spot, but medium pressure long sweeping passes was the ticket with this Flare Tip.

Knowing a BBS was only to be had with many repeated worthless irritating strokes, I was very satisfied with the presentable shave from my almost 65 year old Gillette.
It was comfortable during the shave, it was comfortable right after the shave, and it was comfortable until the next shave, the razor never felt like it was going to bite or plane several layers of skin from my face.

I had thought of trying a shim, but that is what my Red Tip is for...

HA was sparingly used, the Witch hazel did tingle in a nice way, the menthol from the Skin Bracer feels so nice as it cools down my face I waited to put on the Nivea Balm.

It was a Super Saturday Shave :kyle1:

20200711_200901[1].jpg

Oh yeah, we have NHRA DragRacing on Sunday!!!!!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Ooh, cute dimples. My math isn't even factoring in the requirement to buy a matching razor.
Yes, but it is the Highest Quality 303 Stainless Steel!!!!!!!!!! Looks like they are saving money by not replacing dull tools too, did you see the burrs???

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My suggestion has brought shame to me. A shame that will wait for a stronger dollar or weaker Euro and ignore the wabisabi Semogue-knotted lather scrubber…

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Monday, July 13
Gem Bullet Tip Gem Stainless(1)
Omega 10005 Shave #14
Mike's Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-ylang
Skin Bracer

All I can say is where has this razor been hiding all my life?

I wasn't sure what to expect, but have heard to start steep, well, I started with the handle parallel to my face. As I placed the Bullet Tip up to my left sideburn I felt the blade slicing my hair and pulled straight down to my jawline.
It was smooth, stopping before I rounded my jawline, then shaving the right side of my face the same.

Shaving N-S under my nose, around my lips, and my chin, the razor felt at ease, like I had used it before. I then shaved my neck N-S starting at my jawline, feeling the blade, slice, while not feeling sharp against my skin.
The blade feels solid.

The second pass on my face was all nose to ear, laying the razor almost flat against my cheeks it sliced the stubble flush with my skin with almost no blade feel at all.
Oh, but when I got to some fussy hairs on my jawline the blade felt like it was gonna bite, but didn't. And there were no weepers.
Shaving my neck ATG was a breeze, using the feel of the blade as my guide.

I used HA, then let the Witch hazel glide over my skin, feeling very slick, not a hint of a tingle. The Skin Bracer was a cool rush, only a few drops of Nivea balm were needed on my face and neck.

This was a Dog-Gone Nice Shave. Smooth and Comfortable. Zero irritation.

And I have heard the blade gets smoother after the first few shaves, I dunno how.
20200713_211632[1].jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Monday, July 13
Gem Bullet Tip Gem Stainless(1)
Omega 10005 Shave #14
Skin Bracer

All I can say is where has this razor been hiding all my life?

I wasn't sure what to expect, but have heard to start steep, well, I started with the handle parallel to my face. As I placed the Bullet Tip up to my left sideburn I felt the blade slicing my hair and pulled straight down to my jawline.
It was smooth, stopping before I rounded my jawline, then shaving the right side of my face the same.

Shaving N-S under my nose, around my lips, and my chin, the razor felt at ease, like I had used it before. I then shaved my neck N-S starting at my jawline, feeling the blade, slice, while not feeling sharp against my skin.
The blade feels solid.

The second pass on my face was all nose to ear, laying the razor almost flat against my cheeks it sliced the stubble flush with my skin with almost no blade feel at all.
Oh, but when I got to some fussy hairs on my jawline the blade felt like it was gonna bite, but didn't. And there were no weepers.
Shaving my neck ATG was a breeze, using the feel of the blade as my guide.

I used HA, then let the Witch hazel glide over my skin, feeling very slick, not a hint of a tingle. The Skin Bracer was a cool rush, only a few drops of Nivea balm were needed on my face and neck.

This was a Dog-Gone Nice Shave. Smooth and Comfortable. Zero irritation.

And I have heard the blade gets smoother after the first few shaves, I dunno how.
View attachment 1125437

Welcome to the world of GEM.

Its a good one aint it...

r_header.jpg

Those fussy hairs you mention are a result of the slightly less than generous blade exposure. I'll bet theres no fussiness about them with the MMOC.

The PTFE blades become considerably smoother to me but by the 4th shave in my Bullet Tip they also lose efficiency. Thats why they get moved into my MMOC.

Steep really works well with the Bullet Tip, I agree, but, when you you start with the MMOC you'll need more care. The blade feel is much more pronounced. Seeing as you had no issues using the Bullet Tip, you shouldnt have many with the MMOC using it the same way either. Especially after 4 or 5 shaves in the Bullet Tip. With a fresh blade it can be a handful.

It sounds like you really noticed the difference in blade thickness between the .009" GEM blades and the ~.004" DE blades. A stable blade is a smooth blade. I cant feel the GEM blade flexing at any point in a shave but they can very noisy tight under my nostrils N>S in the MMOC.

Those two razors really should have been sold in father & son sets, they compliment each other so well.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
It sounds like you really noticed the difference in blade thickness between the .009" GEM blades and the ~.004" DE blades. A stable blade is a smooth blade.
The blade feels solid, but not rigid like an AC blade or an injector. It is a different kind of feeling, more akin to how an SR feels.
I wasn't sure what to expect from the shave, but it was way more comfortable than I had thought. I'll probably use it the rest of the week. I do have 20 blades.........

As for my MMOC, I'm gonna look for another one that has both of the blade tabs intact.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The blade feels solid, but not rigid like an AC blade or an injector. It is a different kind of feeling, more akin to how an SR feels.
I wasn't sure what to expect from the shave, but it was way more comfortable than I had thought. I'll probably use it the rest of the week. I do have 20 blades.........

As for my MMOC, I'm gonna look for another one that has both of the blade tabs intact.

I think I know what you mean. If the blade tray has bumps, make sure the handle is tightened down or the blade can vibrate a bit on the free end of the bumps. You'll know what i mean when you look at it. The bumps keep part of the blade off the tray and help the blade angle.

Blade tabs would be a must have item, yeah.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I think I know what you mean. If the blade tray has bumps, make sure the handle is tightened down or the blade can vibrate a bit on the free end of the bumps. You'll know what i mean when you look at it. The bumps keep part of the blade off the tray and help the blade angle.

The blade is not vibrating. The difference is not just the thickness, but the mass. Two of the materials we use in machining for toolholders are 8620 and 4340. These metals obtain surface hardness while remaining flexible in the center. This gives the ability to absorb shock. To stiff a material and the holder cracks.

Injector blades, AC blades, DE blades are all made of spring steel. That makes them rigid. But they don't absorb shock, they transfer it to the razor and handle.
The blades used in Gem razors absorb the shock. Think of the mono leaf spring on a 1966 Nova. They rode smooth as silk.
Blade tabs would be a must have item, yeah.
20200509_125931[1].jpg
20200509_125906[1].jpg

At least now I know what to look for when I check out MMOC's now.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tuesday, July 14
Gem Bullet Tip
Gem Stainless(2)
Omega 10005 Shave #15
Proraso Red Super Formula
Proraso Red Aftershave

After mixing up a bowl of the Super Formula and liberally applying it to my face, the brush is starting to feel nice. There is no scritch, but not much scrub either. Soft with plenty of backbone, it might take some time to break fully in.

I used the Gem to remove the stubble under my nose in a N-S fashion, then proceeded to shave WTG around my lips and chin, then nose to ear on m;y cheeks. Not going full steep, instead buffing with the cap almost flat. Mostly WTG on my neck, varying the angle to keep the feedback centered.

The second pass was ATG all the way, starting steep, then buffing with the cap flat to almost flat. I felt the blade more on my neck tonight, I think the Mike's Natural Soaps have more cushion.

I used a little HA, then felt the Witch hazel tingle and the Proraso Red burn gently, then soften up my skin. The Nivea balm was silky smooth.

Another nice shave, mostly comfortable during the shave.
I do believe tonight's shave was closer than last night.
20200714_175743[1].jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Think of the mono leaf spring on a 1966 Nova.

I've always lusted after a Chevy II.

A street car that runs 6's.

Larry Larson's Chevy II Drives 1,000 Miles, Runs 6-Second Pass - Dragzine - https://www.dragzine.com/news/chevy-ii-drives-1000-miles-runs-6-second-pass/

Larson-2.jpg

I havent seen one around here for a few years now.

At least now I know what to look for when I check out MMOC's now.

Looking at the second pic, I'd likely use that razor. The corner of the blade is, apparently, covered and as long as it doesnt ride up the broken tab and bend as you tighten the handle, I'd give er a go.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Ah yes, Larry Larson's Nova. I remember he ran that car in Competition Eliminator at an NHRA event a few years back. That car is bad to the bone.

The picture of My MMOC is a little deceiving. One side the blade stop is in proper shape, the other side the blade is not covered and does ride up the ramp. On the plus side, there are quite a few nice MMOC's to be had for the price of a Tech........

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wednesday, July 15
Gem Bullet Tip
Gem Stainless(3)
Omega 10005 #16
Pinaud Clubman

Using the bowl and a thousand swirls the Mike's lather was at home with my newest Omega. I'm finding the Gem a very easy to use razor, with a wide range of operating angles. Starting steep then transitioning to using the flat cap laid against my skin and buffing easily removes most of the stubble on the first pass.

Shaving XTG and WTG is surprisingly comfortable, though I can feel the blade loosing it's keen edge slightly. More buffing being the tip off that the efficiency is going away.

Shaving ATG for the second pass got most of the stubble on my neck and all the hair on my face. I still needed a few ATG clean-up passes for that ultra smooth finish.

I used the HA and let it dry before rubbing in the Witch hazel, giving me an early warning of stinging that the Clubman would have a slow burn. The burn went out fast and left my face feeling smooth and dry, Nivea balm relaxed my slick feeling skin.
The shave was good, comfortable during the shave, the post shave had some irritation that didn't last for long.

Oh yeah, close it was.............

20200715_194146[1].jpg

Top Bottom