What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Rubber wont mar the Chrome is where I was going. Brass might. Gently, gently.

Fate maybe but, hows the balance? haha.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I take it you haven't yet seen the Chrome plating on the FOCS. Dings will give it character.

That answers a question I hesitated to ask lol. I've seen a few pics of the caps and I gotta say, it looked pretty good in them. This one in particular;

Here's the requisite beauty shot:

proxy.php

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That answers a question I hesitated to ask lol. I've seen a few pics of the caps and I gotta say, it looked pretty good in them. This one in particular;
It doesn't show up in pictures, but the witness mark from pressing in the threaded post is present in both of my caps.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FOCS SOTD

Wednesday, July 8
Lo Storto Originale
Gillette Platinum(3)
Omega 10005 Shave #10
Mike's Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-ylang
Clubman Classic Vanilla

Tonight's shave was nice.

As usual, it took some time and lots of water, but the Mike's Natural really delivers when properly hydrated, and I like the scent.
I shaved my face the usual N-S first pass, then XTG, and lots of buffing WTG passes on my neck. Keeping the angle as steep as possible is where the sweet spot is. I could have made an ATG pass and gotten a BBS, but I went for comfort instead.

I used the HA, then rubbed on the Witch hazel before splashing on the Classic Vanilla and finishing with Nivea balm.
20200708_110603[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
In the meantime I finished with my second Gold Dollar Mod. I kept the original scales because I like the checkerboard pattern. I liked the way my first GD 66 Mod came out, and shaved, so I did a similar grind to my GD 208. I figure this way I can compare the edges and honing techniques, but what do I know?
20200627_214320.jpg

I know that honing a razor using an arkansas progression is like watching grass grow. Or more like actually mowing the grass with a manual lawn mower, but you get the message. After cleaning up the bevel with my 800 chosera, I set the bevel with my new 8 x 2 x 1/2 soft arkansas, further refining the edge on my new 8 x 2 x 1/2 hard arkansas.
20200629_204844.jpg

It didn't take more than a few hundred laps on my new 8 x 2 x 1/2 translucent arkansas before I realized that my intentionally convexed coticule needed to be part of the mix, then a few hundred more laps on the trans ark before finishing up on my convex SB arkie.
20200708_223058.jpg

Soon to be tested

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It doesn't show up in pictures, but the witness mark from pressing in the threaded post is present in both of my caps.

I havent noticed that in any pictures so it might not bother me too much. Once seen though, it cant be unseen and would bug me lol. More Fiat than Ferrari haha. I suspect they'll have all the little niggles worked out by the time they get around to plating some with gold.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I havent noticed that in any pictures so it might not bother me too much. Once seen though, it cant be unseen and would bug me lol. More Fiat than Ferrari haha. I suspect they'll have all the little niggles worked out by the time they get around to plating some with gold.
I took a close look at all of my Fatip razors, and the only one that doesn't show a witness mark in the right lighting is my Mk1 Grande. It's called character........

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FOCS SOTD

Thursday, July 9
Lo Storto Originale
Gillette Platinum(4)
Omega 10005 Shave #11
1912 Club Cola
Clubman Classic Vanilla

Tonight's shave was very good.

I loaded the Club Cola heavy with a damp brush, the first coat was thick and even, after a few applications of water I shaved under my nose N-S and WTG then shaved my face and chin nose to ear, and shaving my jawline WTG.

Buffing was the order of the day while keeping the razor wet. Keeping the handle almost parallel to my neck I buffed away, feeling the stubble being removed while not feeling the blade.
With more lather added to the Omega I proceeded to exfoliate my neck and face as the lather became pleasingly creamy.
Gentle steep buffing ATG passes cleaned up most of the stubble on my neck, and I continued the ATG theme over my lips, soul patch, and face up to my sideburns.

I wet my fingers and felt some fuzzy patches under my jawline, so I lathered up and made another gentle ATG finish pass on my neck.
I rinsed off my gear, patted my face off and put HA on my damp face. The Witch hazel felt warm and fuzzy, while the Clubman was on the low burner today.

The Nivea balm confirmed a BBS.

Two hours later my face and neck feel nice and smooth, with no hint of irritation.
It was a good shave. A very good shave. And comfortable for the most part. And very comfortable after the shave also.
There is room for improvement.
20200709_183529[1].jpg

There is gonna be Funny Car racing on TV this weekend at Indy. I can't wait!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I took a close look at all of my Fatip razors, and the only one that doesn't show a witness mark in the right lighting is my Mk1 Grande. It's called character........

Mine doesnt have that mark, but my Old Types do.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Friday, July 10
Lo Storto Originale
Gillette Platinum(5)
Omega 10005 Shave #12
1912 Club Cola
Proraso Red aftershave

I tried bowl lathering tonight, with only marginally better results. My badgers seem to build a better lather, but I want to stick with this brush and give it a chance to break-in.
My Silver Tip did take almost 50 shaves before it suddenly broke-in. Of course, it was already stellar.

I almost didn't shave tonight, as last night's shave was very close, but I wanted to try bowl lathering, so I decided on just an ATG pass, neck to sideburns. I really didn't feel the blade much, and it didn't feel like it was cutting much either. I only felt the razor cutting my stubble as I got near my sideburns.

I used some HA, then Witch hazel and Proraso Red aftershave and Nivea balm.

Almost no irritation, but not a very close shave either.
20200709_183529[1].jpg

Does this pic look like last night's picture?

I tried bowl lathering tonight, with only marginally better results. My badgers seem to build a better lather, but I want to stick with this brush and give it a chance to break-in.
My Silver Tip did take almost 50 shaves before it suddenly broke-in. Of course, it was already stellar.

I think Omega boar knots, at least in the inexpensive tier that appeals to me, have bristles with less treatment (especially bleach) and a longer break in time. I'm comparing to Zenith and Semogue, as well as some minor vendors and unset knots.

I am just getting my two new 10065 brushes broken in to the point of acceptable results. I have probably face lathered with them at least 60 times each. I normally lather and wash off my face 3 times as prep if I don't shower before shaving. So I can break in the new brushes (and use up some of my oversupply of soap) on those three unused face lathers.

I think my 10005 has essentially the same knot as my 10065s and 10066. Long term I prefer the Omega knots to any of my other boars. Far more backbone and far less splay. My short 'n' scrubby Zenith B17 makes up for the weaker bristles with a tight knot and a short 48mm loft. It would be great to be able to buy Omega knots only. Eventually I may try to harvest one and reloft it in the low/mid 40s.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My 10005 took 6 months of every other day shaving for it to settle down and break in. It went through several changes during that time, each lasting about a month.

First, it wouldnt make a lather. Only a foamy broth with little to no cushion. Then it would make a lather but would hog it all. Then it got floppy and started flinging the lather it held all over, I remember wiping it off my wall. After that it started to settle down and gradually became better. About a month later as I was soaking it, I remember putting it in the bowl and I watched the knot expand as it absorbed water. The bristles also relaxed as they absorbed the water. At the same time I noticed the first 1/8" or so of the tips turning snow white as soon as they got wet.

IMG_2347.jpg

It only takes a few seconds of soak time for that to happen. The white tips I think are the telling sign that its broken in. The first 1/4" of those bristles now are as soft as my synthetic and Silvertip and have zero scritch or scratchiness.

I think when the entire length of the bristles turn white like that when wet, the knot is dead. It would be like overcooked pasta. I bet that would take many years though.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I think my 10005 has essentially the same knot as my 10065s and 10066. Long term I prefer the Omega knots to any of my other boars. Far more backbone and far less splay. My short 'n' scrubby Zenith B17 makes up for the weaker bristles with a tight knot and a short 48mm loft. It would be great to be able to buy Omega knots only. Eventually I may try to harvest one and reloft it in the low/mid 40s.
My first boar was an Omega 10066, I don't really remember it taking a long time to break-in. I got a Semogue 1800 at the same time that I could never get to hold a lather, so I traded it for an Omega 49.........
The 10066 and 10005 knots might be the same, but the 66 is flatter on top and I feel the 10005 has more backbone. If you like small brushes, this 10290 is a real sleeper, lots of backbone, scrub, and soft at the same time.
20200711_115044[1].jpg

Top Bottom