What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

All I need is to run the coax and a reliable power supply. Investigating getting four 100 watt solar cells, batteries and an invertor. What do you guys use for long term off the grid?

~doug~

Radios like batteries, the EMI from generators is no joke.

But I base my long term setup around a 3000w Yahama I converted to Tri-fuel and run on propane. In a long term outage I'd use the generator to power whatever, plus plug my battery chargers into it. Then I'll just rotate batteries from the chargers to the radio.

Solar cells can totally work in place of a generator, or in addition to for sure. Another way I'll use panels is to run off a battery with a 100w panel attached to it. That gives you free power during the day, basicly, and keeps the battery charged for overnight.

A radio like yours will pull about 1a (at 12v) in recieve. Of course the transmit duty cycle (how often you are hitting the TX button) has a HUGE amount to do with how long your battery lasts, as the TX draw is closer to 12a for that radio I suspect.

I can get a full 8 hours of a heavy duty cycle day out of a 30ah battery, probably 12-14 if I'm just listening most of the time.

So two 50ah batteries and two banks of 200watt of solar power might keep you going indefinitely, you just jump between batteries.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Changing the subject a bit... I know a bit about audiophile systems... nothing about HAM radios but I do have a shaving question.

Doug,

You have a Wolfman WR2 .095 and the newish Black Bird "lite"... how would you compare the two face feels and efficiency?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Wednesday SOTD

Razor:
Blackbird Lite SS and SR-36 Bronze handle
Blade: Personna (2)
Brush: Semogue Torga Mistura C3
Soap: Zingari Man the Wanderer
ASL: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue

20230315_191013[1].jpg

A nice evening shave

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Acquisition Alert in aisle 3!! Acquisition Alert in aisle 3!!
Guido, actually, I don't intend to buy a Black Bird.... but I am wondering. I've avoided both the Vector and Black Bird because I think they are more efficient than I need. I am interested, however. The BB shaves best at a pretty shallow angle, according to Shane... That isn't my preferred shave angle, though I'm sure I could make the adjustment.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Guido, actually, I don't intend to buy a Black Bird.... but I am wondering. I've avoided both the Vector and Black Bird because I think they are more efficient than I need. I am interested, however. The BB shaves best at a pretty shallow angle, according to Shane... That isn't my preferred shave angle, though I'm sure I could make the adjustment.
I'm still loving my Vector. :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm still loving my Vector. :)
I'm probably missing out.....The Vector gets so many positive reviews. You never know.. one might show up on BST and I won't be able to resist. I am convinced, I will own a Wolfman WR4 AC razor sometime this year.... Since I already own an extra Bronze handle from Wolfman.. I'd only need the bronze WR4 razor head.. I can see that happening. ;)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Radios like batteries, the EMI from generators is no joke.

But I base my long term setup around a 3000w Yahama I converted to Tri-fuel and run on propane. In a long term outage I'd use the generator to power whatever, plus plug my battery chargers into it. Then I'll just rotate batteries from the chargers to the radio.

Solar cells can totally work in place of a generator, or in addition to for sure. Another way I'll use panels is to run off a battery with a 100w panel attached to it. That gives you free power during the day, basicly, and keeps the battery charged for overnight.

A radio like yours will pull about 1a (at 12v) in recieve. Of course the transmit duty cycle (how often you are hitting the TX button) has a HUGE amount to do with how long your battery lasts, as the TX draw is closer to 12a for that radio I suspect.

I can get a full 8 hours of a heavy duty cycle day out of a 30ah battery, probably 12-14 if I'm just listening most of the time.

So two 50ah batteries and two banks of 200watt of solar power might keep you going indefinitely, you just jump between batteries.
Slot cars don't like EMI either, fortunately I built a nice adjustable 8 amp/12v, 16 amp/6v power supply with plenty of capacitors to give a nice clean signal for when I was building the electric motors.
20230316_132133[1].jpg

This is what the Cobra 148 GTL is pulling when on receive.
20230316_132110[1].jpg

And this is what it pulls on transmit.

I'm figuring that four 100 watt cells and two deep cycle batteries with a 2000w invertor should give me all the power I need to get started with. Now all I have to do is find a reputable dealer.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Changing the subject a bit... I know a bit about audiophile systems... nothing about HAM radios but I do have a shaving question.

Doug,

You have a Wolfman WR2 .095 and the newish Black Bird "lite"... how would you compare the two face feels and efficiency?
There is no comparison. The WR2 0.95 wins hands down on all counts. Smoother by miles and miles, the Lite drags.

Two passes with the WR2, either WTG/WTG, or WTG/ATG, I'm good to go for 12 hours minimum before I feel anything.

Even with three passes WTG/ATG/WTG and cleanup, I could shave with the Lite every day and still feel stubble.

For me the Lite is like an R41 with less blade feel and less efficiency. I'm starting to get closer shaves with it, but it takes a lot of work, my FBT blows it into the weeds.
I'm actually thinking of trading the Lite in for a Blackbird to bring the efficiency up.

As far as my Vector goes, I love the blade feel and efficiency, but I'm having a hard time with the AC format just like with my SE1...
Acquisition Alert in aisle 3!!
~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
There is no comparison. The WR2 0.95 wins hands down on all counts. Smoother by miles and miles, the Lite drags.

Two passes with the WR2, either WTG/WTG, or WTG/ATG, I'm good to go for 12 hours minimum before I feel anything.

Even with three passes WTG/ATG/WTG and cleanup, I could shave with the Lite every day and still feel stubble.

For me the Lite is like an R41 with less blade feel and less efficiency. I'm starting to get closer shaves with it, but it takes a lot of work, my FBT blows it into the weeds.

I'm actually thinking of trading the Lite in for a Blackbird to bring the efficiency up.

As far as my Vector goes, I love the blade feel and efficiency, but I'm having a hard time with the AC format just like with my SE1...

~doug~
Thx, Doug. Since I learned to wet shave with an AC razor, the format is something to which I'm accustomed. I've only had two shaves with the Wolfman, but it sure provides a nice, smooth, comfortable yet close shave.

It's interesting you found your EFBT more efficient.... that rules out the Blackbird lite for me. I wasn't seriously considering one in the first place but I like to gather information and store it in my brain. I know more about straight razors that I'll ever use... but it's fun to know a bit about them.

I'm getting such great shaves over this past year, it gives me pause when considering an adjustable razor. I have a Progress, so I will experiment with that during the summer months, perhaps. There are many ways people approach adjustables here. Finding just the right gap and sticking with that... changing in between passes.. one for final touch-ups etc..... I can change the pressure in tiny increments and get similar results, can't I? I'm just wondering in print here.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm getting such great shaves over this past year, it gives me pause when considering an adjustable razor. I have a Progress, so I will experiment with that during the summer months, perhaps. There are many ways people approach adjustables here. Finding just the right gap and sticking with that... changing in between passes.. one for final touch-ups etc..... I can change the pressure in tiny increments and get similar results, can't I? I'm just wondering in print here.
I had my Slim for almost three years, using it only once or twice a year, until I decided to set it on #1 and use it that way until I got a close comfortable shave, then bumped it up to #2, then #3, then #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, and #9, finally settling on #4 where I got a combination of the closest and most comfortable shave.
I did the same with my Fatboy on the Loose and Executive, all have different sweet spots.

~doug~

I had my Slim for almost three years, using it only once or twice a year, until I decided to set it on #1 and use it that way until I got a close comfortable shave, then bumped it up to #2, then #3, then #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, and #9, finally settling on #4 where I got a combination of the closest and most comfortable shave.
I did the same with my Fatboy on the Loose and Executive, all have different sweet spots.

~doug~

That's a great experiment, I'd like to do the same evaluation someday!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Saturday SOTD

Razor:
Blade: Personna (3)
ASL: Pinaud VIBR
20230318_185837.jpg

A very nice one and done shave sufficed for the night after spending the day installing 23/32" plywood flooring in the Tuff Shed, and doing the yardwork.

I'm strongly thinking of trading the Lite in for an Original Blackbird, placing it's efficiency about equal to a Lupo 72.
I can get a semi-close shave with the Lite, but it takes me way too much work.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Sunday SOTD

Razor:
Blade: Personna (4)
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla
20230320_072905.jpg

Another nice one pass shave with the Lite last night, with a mostly wet cleanup pass, all WTG.
Probably the closest shave yet, I heard the razor roar as it was taking down the stubble it missed from yesterday's one pass shave.

It seems the effective cutting angle on the Lite is quite narrow, once discovered the Lite does let you know in a very subtle way as the volume suddenly increases.
The cleanup wet pass was with zero pressure, only the blade touching my skin.

The Witch hazel felt slick, the Classic Vanilla a real nice blending with the Wanderer, the Nivea balm observing another shave will be needed soon.

Have some nice shaves

~doug~

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Doug, I broke out the Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue after this morning's shave. I haven't used it for quite some time. I'm pretty sure some of your recent posts inspired that. :)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Monday SOTD

Razor:
Blade: Personna (5)
ASL: Pinaud VIBR
20230320_191532[1].jpg

Another two pass shave was had last night, this time the first pass all WTG, the second pass mostly XTG.
I'm finding the optimum shaving angle a bit elusive, it almost seems like the Lite wants to be pushed instead of dragged, but once it starts making noise, it does remove stubble.
I did my best to use absolutely no pressure during the shave and just basically drag the razor across my face and neck.
The shaves are getting closer, but it sure takes a bit of work to get there.
The Witch hazel went on without a hitch, the VIBR felt great, and the Nivea balm a welcome finish.

Have a nice shave

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Tuesday "Knights of the Veg Table" SOTD

Razor:
Blade: Personna (6)
ASL: the "Veg"
20230321_203347[1].jpg

I just realized this is my fourth day in a row shaving, so I used the same kit I have been using all month and the "Veg" to celebrate the occasion.
The shave was another two pass WTG, XTG shave, and with less work than I put in yesterday, the shave was not as close.
I felt the blade removing stubble, but it's clear to me the Lite needs a sharp blade, so I will bin this blade and put in a fresh Personna for the next shave.
The Witch hazel felt like water, the "Veg" felt good enough for two splashes, and the Nivea balm a very nice finishing touch on an irritation free shave.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Thursday SOTD

Razor:
Blade: Personna (1) with shim
ASL: Pinaud Clubman
20230323_183907[1].jpg

Well that was a nice shave.
I know that adding a shim during a fffmm is a no-no, but the Lite wasn't cutting it, (pun intended).
The shim didn't make a dramatic change in blade feel, but it did up the efficiency to acceptable levels.
The shave was a WTG, ATG, WTG, and an ATG finish pass on my neck.
The Witch hazel felt like glassy water, the Clubman was refreshing, and the Nivea Balm confirmed a close and irritation free shave.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Oh yeah, I just got this email--------->

Thank you, Doug!

Your order is being prepared and we will contact you when it has shipped. We appreciate your support and hope you love your new shaving goods!

Blackbird Titanium Base Plate × 1

Satin / Safety Bar $120.00

Top Bottom