What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Doug, did you get your replacement Filament on order? I tried to buy two of them... and give one to our son.... but I bought the last one. They will have more soon, they said.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Doug, did you get your replacement Filament on order? I tried to buy two of them... and give one to our son.... but I bought the last one. They will have more soon, they said.
I'm in no hurry Kim, I'm also thinking about the Prismatic and Artifact down the line. I've got my hands pretty full with the backyard parking lot/garage/badminton area, and installing cabinets in the Laundry/Shaving Room.
20230206_110948[1].jpg

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm in no hurry Kim, I'm also thinking about the Prismatic and Artifact down the line. I've got my hands pretty full with the backyard parking lot/garage/badminton area, and installing cabinets in the Laundry/Shaving Room.
View attachment 1606165
~doug~
My back hurts just looking at that photo. I've finished off too many concrete pads already.... and I was never a mason... just a remodeler with enough experience that I got the job all the time. You've probably heard the saying: If you do the job right, you get the job all the time. ;)

And btw, that is one long float.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
One Blade in February
Tech Tuesday
Daily Double

Razor:
Ontario Cutlery
Razor: 1947 Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum (8)
Brush: Omega 622 Silvertip
Soap: The Wanderer
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla
20230214_194643.jpg

Great shave tonight.
I used the Ontario Cutlery for a couple of WTG and XTG passes on my face, then finished up with three more passes on my neck and face with my 1947 FBT.
WTG, ATG, then WTG to finish up, lathering up in between each pass.
The Ontario Cutlery left some stubble on my face for my FBT, but it was comfortable and gentle on my skin.
The 1947 Tech is such a pleasure to use, there is no wonder it keeps popping up in my regular rotation. Comfortable and efficient, it is the Top Tech of all my techs.
The Witch hazel felt smooth, the Classic Vanilla had nary a sting, and the Nivea balm finished up a superb shave.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thursday SOTD
Daily Double

Razor:
Ontario Cutlery
Razor: Karve SBD
Blade: Gillette Platinum (9)
Brush: Shavemac 22/50
ASL: the "Veg"

Well it was gonna be a Daily Double...
20230216_203731[1].jpg

The Ontario Cutlery wasn't too sharp or too dull, it didn't tug or pull, and it was for the most part, gentle on my skin.
But it wasn't crisp, scare the hair off my face smooth and sharp either.
Definitely not gonna make the FFFMM.

That's not to say it wasn't a good shave. It was a good shave.

It was good enough that I never picked up the Karve, which I had intended on using on my neck.
One WTG pass on my face and neck, then an XTG pass on my face and another WTG pass on my neck.

The Witch hazel told me I got most of the stubble, the "Veg" felt great, and the Nivea balm let me know the edge wasn't half bad.

Have some Great Shaves

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Saturday SOTD

Razor:
Dovo 5/8 Solingen
Brush: Simpson PJ2
20230218_204911[1].jpg

Tonight's shave was nice, and close.

I actually felt the blade. As in I could feel it reduce my stubble.
Not, the oh it sliced the whiskers at my skin level, and they fell away scared.

I could feel the blade get closer with each stroke as it reduced my stubble like a DE or AC razor.
Never did it feel like it was going to jump up and bite, but I did get a couple of tiny weepers.

Was it two passes or was it three? Maybe four, I wasn't counting, just letting the razor get to all the nooks and crannies until it fell silent.

The edge was for the most part smooth, but mostly it felt controllable. Predictable. And close.

I did say the shave was close.

The Witch hazel felt smooth, and the "Veg" felt invigoratingly refreshing, the Nivea balm smooth.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tuesday SOTD
Daily Double
Razor:
Gold Dollar 66
Razor: Karve SBD
Blade: Gillette Platinum (9)
Brush: Semogue C3 Mistura
20230220_201855.jpg

The GD felt really smooth and comfortable on the WTG and XTG passes on my face, but struggled as I got halfway down my neck, so the Karve got put to use for the rest of the shave.
I had forgotten just how smooth my Karve is as it purred away while reducing my neck hair, so smooth I actually looked to see if the blade was there.
Didn't matter if I was going ATG, XTG, or WTG, the razor got quieter with each pass while staying gentle on my neck. It was freestyle city as the Karve was so comfortable I lost count of the passes.

I'm writing this about 12 hours after shaving and my face is still mirror smooth. I'm sure with a fresher blade my neck would be just as smooth too.

The Witch hazel was slick, the "Veg" felt wonderful enough for a second splash, and the Nivea balm finished off a nice comfortable close shave.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
One Blade in Fruity February
Thursday SOTD
Daily Double
Razor:
Gold Dollar 66
Razor: Karve OCD
Blade: Gillette Platinum (10)
Brush: Semogue 1470 Boar
Soap: Shave Chaser
20230223_182216.jpg

I made one full WTG pass with the GD66 then a three pass WTG, ATG, and WTG pass for a very efficient shave.
The edge on the GD felt smooth and stable, easy on my face, but still a bit of a struggle on my neck, so I gave it some laps on my trans ark after the shave, and will see how it feels next shave.
The OCD plate on the Karve definitely has more blade feel than the SBD plate, with the efficiency upped the same level, but the comfort level decreased some.
I'm gonna throw the SBG baseplate in next for even more efficiency, and to see how the comfort level changes.

The Witch hazel was smooth with a bit of tingle, the "Veg" let me know just how close the shave it was with it's signature burn, and the Nivea balm was very welcome.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

I forgot to mention when I was getting ready to shave last Saturday morning it sounded like the school behind my house got a new leaf blower.....
20230219_141023.jpg

I took this pic from about 100' away as the pilot was replacing all of the A/C units from the rooftops, approximately two minutes from drop to drop. In less than 45 minutes, every A/C unit was replaced and he flew off!
20230219_141112.jpg

20230224_071145.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
For those wondering if I left any room for a garden in the backyard there is a 6 foot 6 inch strip of dirt the length of the sideyard. Of course there is plenty of room for above ground planters, which is what WhichyPoo wants!:cheerful:
20230221_100106.jpg

With all the concrete finished up I had the guys from Tuff Shed install a 10' x 12' double door shed with windows and sunroof, so I can finally get all my stuff out of the trailer and bring the 'stang home.
20230221_141411.jpg

While the guys from Tuff Shed were busy in the backyard, I was installing crown molding in the Laundry/Shave room, for the first time.
20230221_200919.jpg
20230221_201006.jpg

Then I marked up the walls and found the studs for where the cabinets are going.
20230221_201138.jpg

And installed the cabinets!:hips::hips::hips:
20230223_064320.jpg
20230223_064557.jpg

I still need a display cabinet for my shaving stuff I have in the medicine cabinet, but it's getting there.

~doug~

Attachments

• 20230220_201924.jpg
    20230220_201924.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230213_233554.jpg
    20230213_233554.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Synthetic Sunday SOTD
Daily Double
Razor:
Gold Dollar 66
Razor: Karve SBG
Blade: Gillette Platinum (11)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T1
Soap: Fine Italian Citrus
20230226_111749.jpg

I'm writing this about 12 hours after shaving in the morning, and my face and neck are just as smooth as they were then.
The GD66 responded nicely to the ark with a smooth WTG face pass, then I let the Meat Clever take over for a WTG, ATG, WTG shave, because there is no way a razor with this large a gap and efficiency should be this smooth.
But it is.
My only complaint about the Trafalgar T1 is the handle is too small and constantly dripped all over my hand. The brush itself was superb. I might try a T2.
The Fine Italian Citrus is a soap I could use for the FFFMM.
The Witch hazel felt slick, the Classic Vanilla gave off a little heat, and the Nivea balm was pleasant.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Synthetic Monday SOTD

Razor:
Mühle R41 Rose Gold Handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum (12)
Brush: 2022 Contributor's Brush
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
ASL: Layrite No 9
20230227_174918[1].jpg

I managed to get in an early evening shave, and a three pass WTG, ATG, WTG shave with one of my most efficient razors was in order.
My R41 has less blade feel than my Karve SBG, but I felt the teeth for sure.
The R41 is smooth, but the Meat Clever is hands down smoother, the efficiency about the same.

The 2022 Contributor's brush is fast becoming my favorite synthetic.

The Witch hazel felt nice, the Layrite soothing, with the Nivea balm a nice finish.

Have some Great Shaves

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
MdC Tuesday SOTD

Razor:
Blackbird Lite SS
Blade: Gillette Platinum (13)
Brush: Shavemac 22/50
Soap: MdC Fougere
20230228_212525.jpg

Tonight's shave was a WTG, ATG, WTG test flight with the Blackbird Lite.
My first impression is the Blackbird feels more efficient and comfortable than my R41, while Karve SBG felt smoother and more comfortable, but slightly less efficient.

The Witch hazel felt warm, and the Classic Vanilla added a little more heat, with the Nivea balm cooling everything off.
Further Studies are Required.:cornut:

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Friday SOTD

Razor:
Blackbird Lite SS
Blade: Persona (1)
Brush: Semogue Torga Mistura C3
Soap: Zingari Man the Wanderer
ASL: Proraso Red
20230304_074218.jpg

First shave of the month, and second shave with this razor. The first shave was with a well used Gillette Platinum, but for the FFFMM I'm gonna use the blades that came with the Blackbird, Persona Super.

I went with my standard three pass WTG, ATG, WTG shave, and it was very pleasant.
With three days of stubble the Blackbird Lite seemed to drag across my face, but once I got to my neck it was smooth sailing.
The ATG pass continued to be smooth on my neck, but encountered resistance as I shaved the stubble left from the first pass on my face.
The final pass was WTG and smooth sailing all the way.

The Witch hazel felt nice and warm, the Proraso Red felt soothing, and the Nivea balm put the finishing touch on an interesting shave. Further studies are required.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

FFFMM
Friday SOTD

Razor:
Blackbird Lite SS
Blade: Persona (1)
ASL: Proraso Red
View attachment 1615678
First shave of the month, and second shave with this razor. The first shave was with a well used Gillette Platinum, but for the FFFMM I'm gonna use the blades that came with the Blackbird, Persona Super.

I went with my standard three pass WTG, ATG, WTG shave, and it was very pleasant.
With three days of stubble the Blackbird Lite seemed to drag across my face, but once I got to my neck it was smooth sailing.
The ATG pass continued to be smooth on my neck, but encountered resistance as I shaved the stubble left from the first pass on my face.
The final pass was WTG and smooth sailing all the way.

The Witch hazel felt nice and warm, the Proraso Red felt soothing, and the Nivea balm put the finishing touch on an interesting shave. Further studies are required.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Wow! That's a really, really sharp looking handle/head combo Doug!

Like all of your setups :)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Sunday SOTD

Razor:
Blackbird Lite SS and SR-36 Bronze handle
Blade: Persona (2)
ASL: Pinaud VIBR
20230305_182726[1].jpg

After spending the morning watching F1 and IndyCar racing, I spent the afternoon installing R13 fiberglass insulation in my new backyard Tuff Shed before I put up paneling and pegboards for tools.
Then I took my daughter to In-N-Out to get burgers, fries, and milkshakes for the family.

After all that excitement I took a nice shower and put another nice three pass shave in the books with the Blackbird Lite.
The Witch hazel was smooth, the VIBR refreshing, and the Nivea balm soothing.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Tuesday SOTD

Razor:
Blackbird Lite SS and SR-36 Bronze handle
Blade: Personna (3)
ASL: Pinaud Clubman
20230306_195456.jpg

Tonight's early evening shave was a two pass affair, starting ATG, and finishing with a WTG pass.

The Witch hazel, Clubman, and Nivea balm all felt wonderful after a nice easy shave.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Top Bottom