What's new

The Janus Modern Toggle Limited Edition (51) Review

Tracking says my unboxing will be Monday too. The weekend will feel like an eternity.

By the way I have something interesting in mind for the 3 Toggle stand. Not sure how it will work out but if it looks good enough to satisfy my ocd for detail I will post a pic and the parts list. Otherwise it is back to the drawing board.

The waiting is the hardest part. *I'm sure there is a song there.*

Awesome. Keep me posted on your idea. I might pilfer it and make a 4 slotter for my set as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Janus Toggle has landed!

Attachments

• 7D39D4D0-95E8-4265-A081-75CAEF6488B7.jpeg
    7D39D4D0-95E8-4265-A081-75CAEF6488B7.jpeg
    736.4 KB · Views: 72
  • E3FC5DD6-1758-43B4-A3DC-2E663D22F6C2.jpeg
    E3FC5DD6-1758-43B4-A3DC-2E663D22F6C2.jpeg
    686.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 81FF5A87-BEBB-47DF-8216-D35D94892F5A.jpeg
    81FF5A87-BEBB-47DF-8216-D35D94892F5A.jpeg
    734.6 KB · Views: 74
  • B409D8ED-4FEC-4A2E-A8D0-67A672CACA14.jpeg
    B409D8ED-4FEC-4A2E-A8D0-67A672CACA14.jpeg
    621.4 KB · Views: 71
Very cool razor, and I'm excited to see what they do next. 51 razors X $500 = only $25,500 gross. I'm curious how that compares with the cost of designing, producing and marketing them. There couldn't be enough profit in it to make it worth doing, except as a way to get their name out and to learn how to pull off such a project.

Eric offered to give full refunds to those who didn't want to wait. I wonder if anyone took him up on that?

First shave with the Janus Toggle. I’m not a fan of the supplied Kai blades so I loaded the razor with a Personna Super Platinum Chrome Blade. Face lathered MDC Fougere and did a three pass shave with the razor set on 3. Honestly, the shave was fairly uneventful. Not particularly smooth and not particularly rough. A little more blade forward than I typically like in a razor but not bad. I’m sure this will improve with more shaves. Dialing the razor down to 2 improved smoothness without giving up closeness. It took less than 10 minutes to get the closeness I like.

Fit and finish are what I would expect for a razor at this price point. Not highly polished but no visible machine marks or flaws. The length and width of the handle fit my hand nicely. My only complaints are with the dial knob. Numbers are very light and hard to see. I also found the knurling on the dial knob to be overly polished making it hard to adjust especially with wet fingers.

First shave with the Janus Toggle. I’m not a fan of the supplied Kai blades so I loaded the razor with a Personna Super Platinum Chrome Blade. Face lathered MDC Fougere and did a three pass shave with the razor set on 3. Honestly, the shave was fairly uneventful. Not particularly smooth and not particularly rough. A little more blade forward than I typically like in a razor but not bad. I’m sure this will improve with more shaves. Dialing the razor down to 2 improved smoothness without giving up closeness. It took less than 10 minutes to get the closeness I like.

Fit and finish are what I would expect for a razor at this price point. Not highly polished but no visible machine marks or flaws. The length and width of the handle fit my hand nicely. My only complaints are with the dial knob. Numbers are very light and hard to see. I also found the knurling on the dial knob to be overly polished making it hard to adjust especially with wet fingers.
Good review. Mail arrives a bit after lunch and I'll do a test run if mine arrives on schedule. I'll load a Feather and try a couples strokes on 3, my usual Toggle setting, then change up for the rest of the shave.

Arriving late!!! Oh noes it better not be lost. :(
Did it show up Sledge? Looking forward to your thoughts. I posted up on another forum, I'll copy that text here after you post a shave report so as not to poison the well.

Reactions: AQU
Did it show up Sledge? Looking forward to your thoughts. I posted up on another forum, I'll copy that text here after you post a shave report so as not to poison the well.

Mine is supposedly still 70 miles away. Hopefully I will get it tomorrow.

Go ahead and post your review here. I'm looking forward to it.

No way. I'll not poison the well. I did post about it across the street but I think you should go into it with an open mind. One clear of outside influences. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Why the mods move this thread over hear? You been a bad boy?

Reactions: AQU
There was just too much blade feel for me. I really wanted to like this razor but it was not right for me. Eric is a gentlemen and understood completely. He promptly took care of refunding this purchase. I wish Eric the best.

No way. I'll not poison the well. I did post about it across the street but I think you should go into it with an open mind. One clear of outside influences. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

So much for keeping your well wholesome.

I didn't even notice the move. Doesn't really matter though.

The 2 reviews so far indicate too much blade exposure. Not enough to draw any conclusions though since some folks like that. Your review won't affect mine. I will tell it like it is.

When I received my Wolfman WR-1 I thought it was too much blade exposure too. Found out with that razor and the gap he chose for me that the blade meant everything as far as comfort. When I tried a Feather blade it felt less aggressive. A paradox.

I hope this project could be continued and Janus offered with a normal price point for this kind of object.I've followed the project from beginning

Likewise. Just hoping he will make some more, maybe a different handle pattern.
Looks like he will be getting a couple of returns from those who found the new Toggle too aggressive. I will know in a couple hours if I feel the same way but won't be returning it in any case.

Top Bottom