What's new

The Island Shaving Challenge.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Beautiful place .. your original list is in parallel with what I'd do, me substituting a FatBoy and losing the razor case.

For me it would be:

Gillette fat handle Tech gold

Gillette silver blue blades

Williams soap

Old spice shaving mug

Red omega professional boar brush

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I thought pretty hard about the brush. But ultimately I deemed it not necessary. It's not luxurious, but it is possible to make a shave-able lather by rubbing the bar of soap on your face. My plan is to make a reasonable hand lather and hope for the best. If I didn't also need to pack things like hiking boots, kitchen knives, flashlights, binoculars, and a bird book I would be more open to taking a brush.
You can fit a brush inside one or both boots.

As far as “remote islands” go, you should be constrained to using one of these vintage Braun electric razors for the length of your saty! I think any of the moderators will second this.

View attachment 1270687

All jokes aside, this is gorgeous!

If you don’t mind my asking, what caused you to move to this godforsaken place?
Lol that razor is frightening! I think if I was to be historically accurate, the newest building here is from 1910. Early safety razors and rusty straights?
I moved here on a whim for the summer. After spending 16 years in the southwest US I applied for a job in Maine. I see it as a trade, I work a simple job, I get room and board plus a decent wage AND live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of the ocean being 100ft away at almost all times. Plus the food is really good here.

4E1F3B2B-33C6-46A8-90E4-8BE5F2DEF1FD.jpeg

I still think that you could go the SR route but stainless...

Razor: Tanifuji Max-fli 5000 (might be a challenge to find) or Filaharmonica INOX
Brush: Maseto Extra density 24-mm two-band Classic (great value)
Soap: A couple DR Harris shave sticks (your fav scent)
Honing: Lapping film set (for the sake of weight and convenience)

Hey, my Dovo Barbarossa spanish point shorty SR is stainless. So it, a small leather AutoStrop strop and a 2"x6" diamond pasted balsa strop could make the trip, along with a tiny Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead, 12 Gem SS PTFE blades, a half stick of Arko, and an Omega 10086 Bigger Bambino boar.

First things first. The first issue to consider is the quality of the water on this remote island. Is it hard, neutral, or soft?

The second question to consider is will I have ready access to a mirror and decent lighting?

Thirdly, since I will only bring one razor, it should be an adjustable razor.

Lol that razor is frightening! I think if I was to be historically accurate, the newest building here is from 1910. Early safety razors and rusty straights?
I moved here on a whim for the summer. After spending 16 years in the southwest US I applied for a job in Maine. I see it as a trade, I work a simple job, I get room and board plus a decent wage AND live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of the ocean being 100ft away at almost all times. Plus the food is really good here.

View attachment 1271017

It gets more beautiful by the post! The sea without sunshine, depending on the place, is hard to beat.

PS. I've never seen an AS-D2 in person, but it seems like a no frills, expertly crafted, beautiful tool. Which is a fitting choice for the place.

Enjoy your stay there. And - who knows? - maybe those 6 months end up being a little longer than that!

@Barbarossa , how’s it going at the island?
Hey there, been crazy busy at work, I end up working near 60 hours a week. But I visit the ocean every day and have had some amazing experiences so far. I think about updating sometimes but I’m not even sure what to say. Life is complicated for sure. Ive also changed jobs three times, I’m currently a baker, wake up at 5:00am.
By the end of this I’ll be proficient at all of the trades.

It gets more unfair by the picture!

I was listening to a podcast by this girl, Amy Purdy, an incredible woman and an even more incredible story. The guest she was interviewing was talking about the need to surrender (in and to life). I guess your journey is the perfect example.

If those croissants taste as good as they look...

You should take a piece of wood from that boat and send it to @Graydog . Magic would follow.

It’s been about three months that I’ve been here so I figured it’s time for an update.

Here’s what I’ve learned. Simple is good, especially in a small shared space. The bathroom is 3’x3’ with a toilet and a sink and a mirror that likes to steam up.
So only having a razor and a puck of soap is great.

Face lathering works great.

I needed much less blades than I thought I would. I have only used 8 blades this far, though I brought 30.
Stainless steal is important! Nothing drys here and the humidity doesn’t go under 75% most days.

Over all its been a healthy experience in how little you really need to live and be happy.
AFC0FAA0-9126-4E38-A97B-9E572AA19146.jpeg
4FC13979-EB19-48DC-9CFD-08C8761F86EC.jpeg
853B6A75-5571-425E-9999-9CCC7B55BA7D.jpeg
60E20E8F-29EF-4638-8405-27259E6A2566.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You will be living on a remote island for the next six months. What shaving gear do you bring?

This needs to fit into the size of a suitcase along with all of your clothing and anything else that you wish to have for the next six months of your life. It needs to survive high humidity, and there is no option to have anything shipped to you once you arrive on the island.

I was inspired to ask this question to the B&B community drawing from my own life circumstances. There is a good chance that I will be moving to a remote island in the next few weeks and the very real question of "what do I bring?" is staring me in the face. It's going to be a very interesting game of how creative can I be when I pack my bags, and what can I live without? As much as I'm going to miss my straight razors, they are overly complicated and not friendly to living right on the ocean. Which is where the beauty of the stainless steel safety razor is going to shine.

I've decided to go with the following:
1 Feather AS-D2 safety razor
20 Feather double edge razor blades
1 Puck of Ogallala Bay Rum Shaving Soap
1 Parker Safety Razor travel case

View attachment 1259189View attachment 1259190
A Parker type shavette, pack of Derby Pro half blades, three Arko sticks and a brush. All of that would fit in a sock.

Top Bottom