What's new

The IP is Dead. Long Live the "AP?"

A little while ago, I noticed that my supply of those wonderful Isreali Personnas was running quite low. I grabbed the laptop and went onto eBay where I originally sourced them. My usual supplier was out, and they didn't seem to show up on the radar anyplace else. Bummer.

Then, about a month back, I checked the 'Bay again, with similar results, but I also checked out Amazon on a lark. Didn't find the IPs there either, but I did stumble upon its apparent American counterpart (which I'm now going to refer to as APs...unless someone beat me to it already, somebody has to start stuff like this.) :biggrin1:

I was a bit nervous about pulling the trigger an a 100-pack box, given that this was a blade with only a small amount of user feedback at the time. On the other hand, even the worst reviews I've read of Personnas have been of the "just okay" variety. And, for a little under fifteen bucks shipped, I didn't have that much to lose, so I ordered them.

I've been shaving with them for about two weeks: the first shave (early-50s British Gillette Aristocrat) the shave was quite smooth except for a small ATG section of my face where I got too slap-happy aggressive: that lead to a small constellation of weepers. I started to think that these APs were perhaps a bit more Feather-ish than the IPs. But I also recalled that my "Brit-ocrat" is a tad more aggressive than either my '48 American Aristocrat, or my '72 Super Adjustable at my usual "max" setting (4). I already had an IP in the Super, so I gave my face a rest for a day and swapped blades the next go-round.

This time: nice...every millimeter the blade the IP was. Other than a small nick to the neck, it was true BBS, with minimal touch-up required. My normal routine: shower, coat beard with hair conditioner, let it sit/soak for a minute or two, rinse off, lather up and get to it. Start With the Super set to 4 WTG, and 3 ATG and XTG (neck/chin only).

Of course, I'm just getting started with these. Which brings me here with the question: how many of you have checked these out, and what's your take on them? I'll be especially interested in hearing from those of you who used (and liked) the IPs.

- Barrett $personnablades_001.jpg

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're talking about these?
$personna.jpg
I bought two boxes of them a while back and really like them.
It seems that there's a bit of a controversy of what to call them though. When I bought them, I was under the impression that they were Labs. However, some are saying that they're just the barber razors, not Labs and definitely not Med preps. I have no idea since I haven't tried either of the other two. For me though, it doesn't matter. I think they are very smooth along with nice and sharp. Definitely not one I'll be selling off.

I did find that Razor Blades and More is selling the Red IPs on both their site and Ebay. However, they're calling them "new" and "2013." No idea what that means.

Barrett, I love the US-made Blues you picture as much as the Israeli Blues. I hold them to be equivalent and would switch to both/either if forced to choose a "no more choices" blade. They both work in all my axes and have been a very good buy as well.

Israeli Reds, OTOH are harsh on my face. I'd have to cork them if I wanted no blood drawn.

View attachment 313084

If these are indeed what you're calling APs, I love them. I recently got a 10 blade sample, and enjoyed them a great deal. I'm a Red IP man, but as my stock of the reds dwindles, I'm getting closer to buying 100 of these. They really feel very similar to the reds to me, and that's a good thing.

I find these AP blades are OK -- for one shave. They dull quickly, much quicker than my usual Astra SP (which I get two full shaves from). The Astra blades are also smoother. Granted my face eats blades for breakfast compared to others so YMMV.

View attachment 313084
I bought two boxes of them a while back and really like them.
It seems that there's a bit of a controversy of what to call them though. When I bought them, I was under the impression that they were Labs. However, some are saying that they're just the barber razors, not Labs and definitely not Med preps. I have no idea since I haven't tried either of the other two. For me though, it doesn't matter. I think they are very smooth along with nice and sharp. Definitely not one I'll be selling off.

I did find that Razor Blades and More is selling the Red IPs on both their site and Ebay. However, they're calling them "new" and "2013." No idea what that means.

I have been using this blade for the February Single Blade Challege. I'm on shave 19, and I even though I was down with the flu I won't stop testing them until I reach 28-31 shaves.

2013 February Blade Challenge Post

$P1000100-1.jpg

Previously my goto blade was the Crystal Super + Platinum aka Blue IP's. When my 200 pack ran out over the years with them I went online to buy more. Like the OP, I couldn't find them anywhere in at least a bulk buy of 100+.
So I switched to the Astra SP before finding these and giving them a try.

Anyways, a long story shorter... I find a difference between Blue IP's and these. I call them Lab Blue's. From what I've read, Personna recently started selling them in 100 bulk. Also of note, the Med Prep and Lab Blue are the same. The Med prep are for the hospital/medical industry who need extra sterilized products to use on patients who might have a weak immune system. They are sterilized twice over, where as the lab blue is once over.

The barber's are a different type. I have a couple of packs I picked up from walmart years ago. Only blade I ever tried that tore up my face like nobody's business.

View attachment 313084
Yep, they be the ones. Interesting that these blades (1) hit the scene at roughly the same time as the supply of IPs dried up, (2) they're being offered in the same quantity as IPs (with fancier packaging), and (3) are much easier to buy than the IPs were (I got mine via Amazon, but they seem to be sold in quite a few places).

Just unwrapped a third blade: still really good!

- Barret

Personna Reds aren't gone. The old Reds apparently ran out of stock, and now there are "new" 2013 Red's on the market. I tried them and they are the same as the old, but you have to be careful because there are also some "reds" out there that aren't like the old Reds. The stamping on the blades are a little different and there are reports of recently purchased "reds" being really rough shavers. Buy from a vendor you trust.

attachment.php

The are commonly referred to as Personna Labs on this board, and have been around for awhile. Very well regarded blade and the best price (unless someone can correct me on this) is from a vendor named Beautyzone2000 on eBay for $12.99/100 shipped. Link to the eBay BIN offer is HERE and I have ordered from them a few times with no problem

Top Bottom