What's new

The Intercontinental All Italian Shave-Off

This is the opposite of the thread's goal. Two less Italian shaving items for me. First shaving cream tube executed. :D

00000IMG_00000_BURST20180618103754199_COVER-picsay.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD :001_wub::
Razor: Fatip Grande Mk1
Blade: Astra SP (7)
Brush: TGN High Mountain White
Cream: Proraso (white)
Aftershave: Proraso Splash (Green)
rsz_035.jpg

Jun 20: Almost All-Italian Weck Wednesday

Lather: RazoRock XXX "Formula Duro"
Brush: Proraso Professional (27/55mm)
Razor: Weck Sextoblade "Trade Sample Not For Sale"
Blade: Personna Hair Shaper [7]
Splash: Floid Blue with just enough added menthol

The Proraso Pro seems to have turned the corner already, and it's only the third shave. It's still not fully broken in, and has a ton of backbone, but it splays nicely. No issue with holding enough lather; there was enough left after my 3 passes for at least another shave, maybe two. It solves my main complaint about the Pro-49 (too much splay and not enough backbone).

The Sextoblade gave me my first great shave since I changed out the blade. I just didn't want to deal with a harsh shave, and didn't want to use the guard, so I lightly stropped it for 10 laps on leather before the shave.
proxy.php

I don’t know of any Italian razors I could afford but everything else is.
Since you're a straight shaver, your choices are very limited for Italian razors. Italian-made shavettes are very affordable however. The Universal is my favorite shavette, but you can also check out Focus, Vanta, Magic, or the oddball Daune.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thank you for the info. My current budget seems to focus me on Chinese construction for the time being. Fortunately they function quite well. As you can see, my dog is in bad need of a shave. :a21:

Thank you for the info. My current budget seems to focus me on Chinese construction for the time being. Fortunately they function quite well. As you can see, my dog is in bad need of a shave. :a21:
I have a bunch of different cheap Chinese shavettes as well. I agree that they do punch way above their price point.

That said, the Italian Spilo Magic shavette is right around the Chinese shavette pricing.

The Magic Razor

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a bunch of different cheap Chinese shavettes as well. I agree that they do punch way above their price point.

That said, the Italian Spilo Magic shavette is right around the Chinese shavette pricing.

The Magic Razor
I watched a video of an Italian shavette that used both sides of a DE blade. Watching Italian barbers shave is incredible. I haven’t used a shavette in a while. They scare me. I do love my Gold Dollars though.

I watched a video of an Italian shavette that used both sides of a DE blade. Watching Italian barbers shave is incredible.
Thats the Daune shavette. It makes no sense shaving your own face with both sides of the blade, but with someone else driving, I kinda see it.

Those Italian barbers look like they’re conducting an orchestra. Very graceful, which I am definitely not. I know I’ll probably crack and buy a Daune just for curiosity since they’re cheap enough.

Jul 5: All-Italian Menthol Shave

Lather: Proraso White (green tea and oatmeal)
Brush: Proraso Professional (27/55mm)
Razor: Universal Rasoio a Mano Libera (full-DE blade)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [18]
Splash: Floid Blue with lots of added menthol

Today is supposed to be the last day of the record-breaking heat wave, and still with a broken A/C at home, I needed something menthol to cool me off.

Proraso White has a tiny kiss of menthol that even menthol haters would not object to. Reunited with the Proraso boar brush, a fantastic lather was produced, with enough left over after the shave for a good two passes. This new brush is breaking in nicely.

The Universal shavette was smooth as silk again today, but the blade is starting to noticeably dull. No tugging at all, but not as close as the last shave. The problem with full-DE blade shavettes is that unless you're rigorous about blade flipping every time you take apart the razor to clean after the shave, you never know how many shaves on each side. On my next blade, I'm going to split it in half from the start and only use one half. The clamping mechanism looks like it will hold a half blade as easily as a full blade (I think). We'll see.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD :001_wub::
Razor: Fatip Zebrano Gentile
Blade: Bolzano (4)
Brush: Panta Rei Silvertip
Cream: Proraso Wood and Spice
Aftershave: Proraso Splash (Green)
rsz_061.jpg

Greetings All! I imagine you thought I was dead or was stuck in some sort of alternative universe with a can of Barbasol and a disposable razor! Not to worry... Life has just been... well, you know! I FB messaged Mostho the other day and that got me thinking of the folks here. Today's almost all Italian SOTD...
Brush: Omega Italian Flag (the big guy)
Soap: Proraso green (going to hit 95 F today)
Razor: Co.Ci.Na Il Soldatino "Little Soldier" (This is the DE razor produced for and issued to Italian Army in the 1970's. A very special gift from Mostho a few years ago)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (no Bolzano blades in stock)
Post Shave: Proraso green AS

A nice clean and "green", close shave!

IMG_1007.JPG
Brush: Omega Via Barberia HI-BRUSH
Lather: Omega Via Barberia Aquae shaving cream
Bowl: Omega Via Barberia
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Bolzano
After shave: Omega Via Barberia Aquae after shave serum
Cologne: Salvatore Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale

60% Italian SOTD

Brush:
Omega 10051
Soap: Martin de Candre Citrus
Razor: Fatip Piccolo Special Edition OC
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (14)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2018-8-6_2-59-29.png

A very nice shave with my new Special Edition Piccolo OC. :001_wub:

IMG_1058.JPG
Brush: Zenith
Soap: Panama 1924 by Boellis
Razor: Bolzano
Blade: Bolzano Superinox
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino 70th anniversary balm
Aftershave: Boellis Panama Millesime

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If you mean a Modern DE razor I suggest to go for a Fatip, although is commonly not suggested for a novice.
8-4-18.Mk1.640..JPG

I really like my Fatip Mk1 Grande. Old design but works better for me. Available. Link.

I use it steep or at its design angle (neutral angle) and get a smooth and efficient razor experience.

Brush is my favorite. Zenith. Italian.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom