What's new

The Interactive Guide to Straight Razor Shaving

Excellent job Joel!-makes me want to go and buy a straight, strop, and norton4k/8k right now!

Marty

Marty,
You (and by and large anyone else) who reads the whole guide and still wants a straight should contact me - and i'll hone up a new razor for you gratis! :smile:

Originally posted by joel
Marty,
You (and by and large anyone else) who reads the whole guide and still wants a straight should contact me - and i'll hone up a new razor for you gratis!

Where would we be without Joel?

And the PDF idea rocks! Now, that would be some serious competition for Dr. Moss's guide!

Marty,
You (and by and large anyone else) who reads the whole guide and still wants a straight should contact me - and i'll hone up a new razor for you gratis! :smile:

Joel,

Here's a question that I may have missed the answer to in that big collection of great info - what's the best way to test the sharpness of your razor? I have only owned this one straight, and since it was honed by Lynn I imagine it is nice and sharp. However, I do sometimes get some pulling or skittering on certain parts of my face, and it's hard to tell if it is a fault of the sharpness (maybe I dulled it some by bad stropping), or just my technique.

Thoughts?

Joel,

Here's a question that I may have missed the answer to in that big collection of great info - what's the best way to test the sharpness of your razor? I have only owned this one straight, and since it was honed by Lynn I imagine it is nice and sharp. However, I do sometimes get some pulling or skittering on certain parts of my face, and it's hard to tell if it is a fault of the sharpness (maybe I dulled it some by bad stropping), or just my technique.

Thoughts?

If it's pulling, skittering, or jumping - it isn't sharp enough, no matter who honed it. Everyone has a bad razor slip out every so often - however it could also be due to poor stropping.

What kind of razor is it? What type of grind? How long have you had it? How many times are you stropping it, and are you pulling the strop taught? What is your beard type?

Depending on the razor (I don't get into restoration work, getting rid of nicks, etc - as it is just too time consuming for me) but I'd be more than willing to hone it up for you gratis - if that's what's needed.

:smile:

If it's pulling, skittering, or jumping - it isn't sharp enough, no matter who honed it. Everyone has a bad razor slip out every so often - however it could also be due to poor stropping.
:smile:

Hmm, I guess that I figured since it moves smoothly on my cheeks and lip, but pulls on my chin and neck, that it was my technique.

I strop it before I use it, and strop it before I put it away. My first strop was junk but I just got a nice new red latigo travel strop from Tony. My stropping has improved over time (I've only been using a straight for about 2 months)

My razor is an old 5/8" that, according to Lynn, had "seen better days". It has some marks and scars along the side, but had a decent edge. I wanted to get a nicer one, but it's not really in the budget.

My beard isn't too tough, except on my chin. It gets pretty tough there, especially right below the edges of my mouth on either side. That's where I usually feel the pulling/tugging, and in certain parts of my neck.

If you think I need a re-hone, I can definitely send it to you. I have to admit though, I will be a little embarassed to send this junker to someone with a formidable collection like yourself...

Hmm, I guess that I figured since it moves smoothly on my cheeks and lip, but pulls on my chin and neck, that it was my technique.

I strop it before I use it, and strop it before I put it away. My first strop was junk but I just got a nice new red latigo travel strop from Tony. My stropping has improved over time (I've only been using a straight for about 2 months)

My razor is an old 5/8" that, according to Lynn, had "seen better days". It has some marks and scars along the side, but had a decent edge. I wanted to get a nicer one, but it's not really in the budget.

My beard isn't too tough, except on my chin. It gets pretty tough there, especially right below the edges of my mouth on either side. That's where I usually feel the pulling/tugging, and in certain parts of my neck.

If you think I need a re-hone, I can definitely send it to you. I have to admit though, I will be a little embarassed to send this junker to someone with a formidable collection like yourself...

Nick,
Has it always pulled/skipped in that area of your face? You'll have to be more descript about how you strop (see the prior questions) as to how many times you are stropping, as well as the questions RE: what kind of razor (IE: Brand). Even if it's in poor condition, if it is a good brand, and the edge is in good shape, it should still be able to take a great edge. If on the other hand it's just a really beat up razor, and it's always pulled in that area, the weak link is probably the razor - and in that case, just shipping both ways would probably run you $10 or so, and for about $20-25 you can get a new old stock Wapi in mint condition, which would be a far, far better investment as it would last you a lifetime and be a pretty little razor.

Since you don't seem to be too thrilled with your razor... my suggestion would be to continue to use it, and squirrel away a few bucks here and there, and pick up a Wapi when you can. They're all over ebay, and there are some for sale on this board and at srp right now, and they come up all the time. I'd be more than happy to hone one of those up for you as well. :smile:

The only markings on the blade say: "United Special", and underneath "Guaranteed English Steel". I don't know if that helps.

I will definitely look into the wapi razor for the meantime (while saving for a nicer dovo or thiers-issard, etc.).

Thanks, I'll drop you a PM if I get a new razor, if you're not too busy maybe you can help me out with the honing!

Alright, I decided to jump in and get that Wapienica razor, so it's on its way! Can't wait - thanks for the info Joel!

Alright, I decided to jump in and get that Wapienica razor, so it's on its way!

That's a good move, Nick. I'm also new at this, and I picked up a Wapi a few weeks ago from someone at SRP. I've gotten better results with it than with my Dovo special tortoiseshell. I think it's because the Wapi has a slightly thicker, heavier blade (less of a hollow grind) than the Dovo.

I have a question for the seasoned straight razor users here: I purchased my first straight from a B&B member a while ago, along with a strop (no paste). It is a Dovo 5/8 "Best Quality", round point, and the strop is a Selective one with a canvas side and a leather side. According to the vendor, the razor had been honed by Lynn.

The shaves are indeed improving, the WTG pass is now very close and pain-free, but the ATG is proving to be difficult. The razor does not glide smoothly, it tugs and drags awfully, and, although I don't get many nicks, my face ends up covered in bleeders.

My stropping technique has improved, but the first times I think I did it wrong: the strop was tight, but I used too much pressure on the razor, pressing the edge without the spine touching the strop. I am now doing it right, 15 to 20 strokes on the canvas side and 15 to 20 strokes on the leather side, but the ATG passes are not improving, even with close attention to blade angle.

Have I dulled the blade?
Was it not shave-ready?
Should I use a paste of some kind?

And on close examination, there's a tiny ding on the blade. :mad:

Thanks in advance, guys, you're all the best.

I have a question for the seasoned straight razor users here: I purchased my first straight from a B&B member a while ago, along with a strop (no paste). It is a Dovo 5/8 "Best Quality", round point, and the strop is a Selective one with a canvas side and a leather side. According to the vendor, the razor had been honed by Lynn.

The shaves are indeed improving, the WTG pass is now very close and pain-free, but the ATG is proving to be difficult. The razor does not glide smoothly, it tugs and drags awfully, and, although I don't get many nicks, my face ends up covered in bleeders.

My stropping technique has improved, but the first times I think I did it wrong: the strop was tight, but I used too much pressure on the razor, pressing the edge without the spine touching the strop. I am now doing it right, 15 to 20 strokes on the canvas side and 15 to 20 strokes on the leather side, but the ATG passes are not improving, even with close attention to blade angle.

Have I dulled the blade?
Was it not shave-ready?
Should I use a paste of some kind?

And on close examination, there's a tiny ding on the blade. :mad:

Thanks in advance, guys, you're all the best.

Oh yikes.... well - yes, you dulled the blade, and rounded the edge. How big is the "ding" in the blade? If it is too large, the razor could be a little unsafe to use, however if it is very small it should be ok. Sounds like it needs more than paste however - it needs to be re-honed. :frown:

Oh yikes.... well - yes, you dulled the blade, and rounded the edge. How big is the "ding" in the blade? If it is too large, the razor could be a little unsafe to use, however if it is very small it should be ok. Sounds like it needs more than paste however - it needs to be re-honed. :frown:

Sigh... well, thank you. I had expected that diagnosis, this is one of those occasions when your worst expectations come true. Behold the face of inexperience!

The ding is around 2 to 3mm long, it doesn't seem very big, but if you look at the edge of the blade, it's perfectly noticeable. Well, I'll be off to try and find some local barber to hone it up. Does this happen often to straight razor-newbies like me?

Sigh... well, thank you. I had expected that diagnosis, this is one of those occasions when your worst expectations come true. Behold the face of inexperience!

The ding is around 2 to 3mm long, it doesn't seem very big, but if you look at the edge of the blade, it's perfectly noticeable. Well, I'll be off to try and find some local barber to hone it up. Does this happen often to straight razor-newbies like me?

2-3mm longs sounds like a pretty wicked ding. Heck - that's a chip, not a ding. Can you take some pics?

This doesn't happen too often with new straight razor shavers - but don't take it too hard, you'll be well on your way in no time!

2-3mm longs sounds like a pretty wicked ding. Heck - that's a chip, not a ding. Can you take some pics?

This doesn't happen too often with new straight razor shavers - but don't take it too hard, you'll be well on your way in no time!

Pics? Ask, and ye shall receive (sorry about the quality, I had to borrow a camera):

full

Perhaps I exaggerated about the size of the chip, it's more of a 1mm chip.

full

Here you can see it better.

full

And here you can see what looks like a second! It's not a "crack", actually it's more as if the edge had been bent on that spot.

Here's the cause of the mistreatment I inflicted on this razor: I have seen a few videos of people shaving with a straight razor, including yours (courtesy of Mantic), and I always noticed how you kept the water running to rinse the razor. Since I had always been told not to waste water, I thought I could shave with a straight the same way I did with the DE: filling the sink with warm water and rinsing the razor in it. I did so by dipping and shaking the razor gently in the water. Perhaps I accidentally hit the edge against the walls of the sink, or against the tap on its journey back.

Anyway, I won't do it again :redface: . And thanks for your time, advice and patience, for I have just realized that this might not be the right thread for all my newbie questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you buy that razor "new?" It looks like it's seen its better day, and looks like it has a fair amount of hone wear.

Top Bottom