What's new

THE Injector Razor Thread

Hi,

I thought I would pop in to say that I have had a couple week-long road trips with the Type C1 now, and it is working out to be excellent for me. It doesn't come *quite* as close as my usual daily driver Fasan DoubleSlant DE, but it isn't nearly as fragile. The way it folds up and is capped makes it a *lot* better to jiggle around in a Dopp kit. Plus, unlike the Gillette Tech the C1 replaced, no more exposed blade. Not that I ever cut myself extracting the Tech, but I always worried about that....

Stan

About the Tech, it was my understanding that for traveling with a blade inserted you could flip the base upside and reassemble it with the blade between the cap and base and the since the base is upside it protected the blade. I have only been in the DE thing for a little over a year and never traveled with my Tech. I have never traveled with my J1 Injector because of the blade being exposed. When I traveled it was with a twin disposable that I made sure I never tossed the snap on cover they came with.

Well now, I've been using a DE, and occasionally a straight or shavette, for three years very happily. On a whim, I picked up a Schick L for $5 at an antique store. I now regard it as the finest shaving instrument ever! I'm blown away by the closeness, comfort, and ease of my shaves just a week in.

Tomorrow, I try the E type...

Well now, I've been using a DE, and occasionally a straight or shavette, for three years very happily. On a whim, I picked up a Schick L for $5 at an antique store. I now regard it as the finest shaving instrument ever! I'm blown away by the closeness, comfort, and ease of my shaves just a week in.

Tomorrow, I try the E type...
Welcome to the dark side...:001_rolle

Ok fellas, I blame two things for getting me into injector shaving. First, it was the Supply Provision Single Edge. I liked it so much, I started reading through this thread (up to page 52 right now). So, this particular thread is the second item that pushed me over. During this time, I've obtained several vintage Schick injectors, and am convinced that single edge, injector type shaving is great, both modern and vintage. I'm really enjoying this. I'm sure I'll still shave with my DE and Artist Club style razors, but right now, I am really digging the new (and old) thing here.

So, as a way to contribute back to the group, I offer the pic below. For me, I normally wash and dry my razors. But with the vintage injector razors, it's not practical to remove the blade to thoroughly dry out the razor, since reloading a new blade depends on having that old blade in there. So, if you're on a many razor rotation, and if you get several uses out of an injector blade, you might have nagging thoughts about the gunk, or whatever that is sandwiched in the bladed razor. So, what I do now, is to rinse with warm, then cold water, then give it a good "pressured air" drying. If you're not familiar, this is like that pressurized air in an aerosol can - only x10! Then as a precaution, I dip and swish the bladed razor in a jar of isopropyl alcohol (91%), which also contains some essential lemon oil and castor oil, just to sanitize the blade/razor and give them a protective coating.

And for any of the injector veterans out there, if you see anything harmful in my housekeeping, please let me know.

So, Thank you all for all the information in this great thread!!

DataVac Injector Razor.JPG

About the Tech, it was my understanding that for traveling with a blade inserted you could flip the base upside and reassemble it with the blade between the cap and base and the since the base is upside it protected the blade. I have only been in the DE thing for a little over a year and never traveled with my Tech. I have never traveled with my J1 Injector because of the blade being exposed. When I traveled it was with a twin disposable that I made sure I never tossed the snap on cover they came with.
You obviously need to get one of the three travel ready models (A, C, "Protector" Adjustable).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Ok fellas, I blame two things for getting me into injector shaving. First, it was the Supply Provision Single Edge. I liked it so much, I started reading through this thread (up to page 52 right now). So, this particular thread is the second item that pushed me over. During this time, I've obtained several vintage Schick injectors, and am convinced that single edge, injector type shaving is great, both modern and vintage. I'm really enjoying this. I'm sure I'll still shave with my DE and Artist Club style razors, but right now, I am really digging the new (and old) thing here.

So, as a way to contribute back to the group, I offer the pic below. For me, I normally wash and dry my razors. But with the vintage injector razors, it's not practical to remove the blade to thoroughly dry out the razor, since reloading a new blade depends on having that old blade in there. So, if you're on a many razor rotation, and if you get several uses out of an injector blade, you might have nagging thoughts about the gunk, or whatever that is sandwiched in the bladed razor. So, what I do now, is to rinse with warm, then cold water, then give it a good "pressured air" drying. If you're not familiar, this is like that pressurized air in an aerosol can - only x10! Then as a precaution, I dip and swish the bladed razor in a jar of isopropyl alcohol (91%), which also contains some essential lemon oil and castor oil, just to sanitize the blade/razor and give them a protective coating.

And for any of the injector veterans out there, if you see anything harmful in my housekeeping, please let me know.

So, Thank you all for all the information in this great thread!!

View attachment 778976
maybe you need a hydro-magic
20170329_200632.jpg

it has a lever that puts 2 pins through the holes in the modern injector blades and releases the base plate. this allows for easy cleaning.
20170329_200655.jpg

the blade will hang loose, but can not fall out. it is very easy to rinse anything out. then flip the lever back down and blade goes right back in place and ready for the next shave.
20170329_200748.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
You obviously need to get one of the three travel ready models (A, C, "Protector" Adjustable).

proxy.php

+1 on the Protector model - still not sure I'd risk one of the Repeater models on a trip .. For cleaning, some dental floss will get behind and under a blade being left in the razor, packs pretty well too .. I find the Hydro-magic Types too far on the mild side for my taste & beard. I generally take a DE on road trips but when I do injector it is Type M adjustable with the Protector feature just like that pictured

+1 on the Protector model - still not sure I'd risk one of the Repeater models on a trip .. For cleaning, some dental floss will get behind and under a blade being left in the razor, packs pretty well too .. I find the Hydro-magic Types too far on the mild side for my taste & beard. I generally take a DE on road trips but when I do injector it is Type M adjustable with the Protector feature just like that pictured
Sure I would not risk it either, but it's quite the design accomplishment when you consider you could go on the road six months easily with a fully packed A in the day. Personally I get better results from the I2 than the Adjustable.

proxy.php

I am down to using my Dad's J1 a few times a year. In the past I only used it on a week old beard(needed it because the twin disposables could only handle a 3 day beard) and just couldn't use it more than that because it seems so harsh. Before I found DE shaving last year week old beards for me were the norm. I haven't done any traveling in the last year that I have been DE shaving. Of course before that I made sure to keep the cap from the twins for traveling. If any of those travel razors pictured are as aggressive as the J1 than I wouldn't bother I would just try the Tech trick first.

I've read through the 100 pages of this thread, and read through other threads dealing with the Schick E Injector. I'm looking to add a Schick E to my collection. If I got it right, and if I'm looking to get the less aggressive "E", I'm looking for a "late" E2, and beyond (E3, E4, etc.). And one way to determine this is to get the "E" that has a FIXED spring. Is my assessment correct? If not, please let me know where I'm wrong. Thanks very much!

So I bought my first injector recently at a local antique store. It was $16, which sounded decent for the condition it was in.

proxy.php

I went ahead and bought some new Schick blades manufactured in China (Chick blades, yes?), since it seems like a shame to use the ones that came with it.

I plan to give it a try tomorrow morning. I haven't shaved for a few days, so I'm curious to see how it will do. I typically shave with a DE Gillette Super Adjustable, but with all the good things people here say about the injectors, I figured I'd give one a try!

Good choice, @spiffus, that model was my first injector and a nice shaver.
If you can find some reasonably price Twin Injector blades, it's even nicer, but those are harder to come by...

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole of Injectors.. :a29:

Hi Guys. Have found this one brand new never used... Not intention to keep it... I have paid 130 euros for it. Very rare with unopened package... I'm in France.
proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've read through the 100 pages of this thread, and read through other threads dealing with the Schick E Injector. I'm looking to add a Schick E to my collection. If I got it right, and if I'm looking to get the less aggressive "E", I'm looking for a "late" E2, and beyond (E3, E4, etc.). And one way to determine this is to get the "E" that has a FIXED spring. Is my assessment correct? If not, please let me know where I'm wrong. Thanks very much!

I'd take those "Type" designations with a grain of salt. They are, after all, just a classification system a hobbyist came up with, and have often been shown false by hybrid razors (often Canadian manufactured) that won't fit neatly into Alan Appleby's Rules. I've had a bunch of E's, going back to a yellow Schick I took off to college in the 60's, and can't really say I've been able to discern among them for aggressiveness. They are all moderately so, if you want milder you need to get further on down the timeline.

That aside, it seems that the ones with the moveable spring are the earlier, and if you accept that the Schicks became increasingly milder as the years wore on, then likely as not the E with fixed spring will probably be milder.
In any event even the most fearsome "E" is a pretty tame shave, and a nice example can be found for very little outlay.

Last edited:
Garyg: Thank you. This is helpful, and actually takes some of the pressure off of trying to find that perfect "E". It's funny...unlike my DE tryouts, I have yet to find a Schick injector that I do not like.

Garyg: Thank you. This is helpful, and actually takes some of the pressure off of trying to find that perfect "E". It's funny...unlike my DE tryouts, I have yet to find a Schick injector that I do not like.
@garyg is bang on. The difference between my favorite Type E, the crinkle-finish E2 with the head that opens and all my other Type Es is minuscule. Some are slightly smoother, and others are slightly more efficient, but they're all in the same ballpark.

The most important thing to look for is a handle with really attractive marbling. Those shave the best ;-)

@garyg is bang on. The difference between my favorite Type E, the crinkle-finish E2 with the head that opens and all my other Type Es is minuscule. Some are slightly smoother, and others are slightly more efficient, but they're all in the same ballpark.

The most important thing to look for is a handle with really attractive marbling. Those shave the best ;-)

AHHH! So, it really IS the handle! Lol!

Top Bottom