What's new

The infamous "new formula" soaps part 2: Geo. F. Trumper

So, after jumping head first into the Williams Mug shaving soap controversy, I thought it was time to attack the true bete noire in my cabinet: Geo. F. Trumper new formula. I bought this a few years ago when I was shopping with my wife in a posh little shop that was holding a "going out of business sale", (actually it was just changing owners and continuing in more or less the same format) and, as it turns out, carried several of the more expensive brands of shaving accessories. I was late for this sale, as the choicest shaving items clearly had already been cherry picked. And "sale" turns out only to have meant that the 20 percent premium over standard retail prices this store apparently customarily charged was removed. But, OK.

With the soaps, I asked my wife which smelled best to her, and she immediately picked the Trumper almond, so that's what I picked. This morning I finally decided to give it a try, rinsing it in hot water, putting it in a bowl, taking a shower, and getting to it. What a surprise. Unlike Williams, it produced gobs of lather almost immediately. But that lather was even worse than Williams, at least in appearance, foamy, thin, and disappearing, no matter how little or much water was added. After a long period of lathering with a stiff boar brush, it was (just) usable. But even more surprising, bad as it looked, performance was pretty good, even slicker than Williams, which was very slick, and not as drying (though I still needed to use moisturizing shave balm afterwards). And there was just the right trace of its superb scent remaining when I was all done, though I usually prefer to have no remaining scent from soap.

So I get the negative criticisms. If you expect to easily produce thick, silky lather with your pricey soaps, forget this. And it leaves more of a residue than I would typically want. But I easily got my irritation-free BBS shave (not too hard for me in general with my light beard). And, wow. IMO the scent is A1 and more than justifies the price for any connoisseur of scented soaps. I'm betting a few of you are fans of this, even with the new formula.

AFAIK, not all soaps will produce the same type of lather in terms of texture. This is especially true of artisan soaps, that contain special ingredients (yoghurt, goat milk, baby-Yoda poo, what not...). This stuff will make the lather look and feel different, than your "traditional lather", but what really counts, at least IMHO, is the performance - glide and residual slickness and the post-shave face feel/condition.

GFT never was that great, even before any reformulation. It always faded and never really lathered. The creams were much better back in the day.

I agree with this, always felt they were overrated. They gave a good shave but that was about it, after the shave I never came away thinking I used a superior product. The coconut and rose creams were good, though.

Indeed, (current) GFT hard soap has been seriously compromised; shame, the tallow and PP formulas were excellent (produced mounds of lather easily, etc.), ime.

Their creams are still excellent (especially Eucris and Spanish Leather).

The word is Parabens I believe. And they are to be avoided at all costs we have been told which is why these things were re-formatted.

I've never tried GFT but experienced similar issues with a couple of D.R. Harris soaps. Lovely scent, mediocre lather and only OK performance. Kind of expected more.

I finished a puck of Trumper Rose recently, and it was not a top tier soap by any means, but was still a decent performer. It takes a little bit of work to refine your lathering to get consistent, reliable lathers, but it’s worth the effort.

GFT is one of my favourites, I have the violet and the Eucris. I have finished pucks, and then replenished them.
I have always gotten good shaves when using it, but it does take some trial and error when lathering.

I find it to have a very narrow window in terms of how much water and at what temperature works best. Takes some time to dial it in.

I have never found that it leaves a residue. The only soap that I have tried that left a residue was Stiriling. Luckily I only picked up up the small sample pucks of it.

Top Bottom