What's new

The Inevitable Thanksgiving Post

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you, Jeff, for a very uplifting post and for sharing your outstanding shave gear storage unit.

I am very thankful to have found this wonderful and supportive community. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and kindness.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Thank you, David, for taking the time to read through it and comment on it (despite my creeping errors :c4:)

John and Abigail Adams represent one of the truly great American love stories. Particularly because they were very near inellectual equals.

I was always partial to the romance between Thomas Jefferson and his wife Martha. I read that before they were married, a suitor arrived at Martha's residence intending to present himself as a prospect. Jefferson was already there. He and Martha were playing musical instruments, accompanying one another. After listening out on the porch for awhile, the suitor left. He realized that that a man and woman who could play music together that good were obviously meant to be husband and wife.

Later, as a delegate to the Continental Congress, Jefferson's wife became terminally ill. And the grief-stricken Jefferson would not leave her side at Monticello. Congress, unaware of the illness or of Jefferson's devotion, actually considered having the Seargent at Arms go and arrest Jefferson to bring him back to Congress. So respected was his mind that other members considered Congress diminished without him being present.

I did not know that about Martha's suitor. I did know that he loved Martha profoundly and her passing really took a toll on him for a while. He and Abigail Adams got on quite well, too. They even insisted Jefferson stay with them when they were in France (I believe it was France). History tells us things eventually went south between John Adams and Jefferson, but in their older age they eventually patched things up for the most part.

Thank you, sir!
I have known plenty of guys who feel they need a loud muscle car, a fat wallet, or more notches on their bedpost. But what they've never understood is all you really need is a good woman in whom you find all the genuine treasures you could ever desire.

:a14:Thanks, Jay! My sense of humor can dip into the shallow end of the pool once in a while--I chalk it up to being a guy.

Amen @DEPenguin! Excellent post and a very happy thanksgiving to you and all the B&B members. It’s sentiments like yours that make this forum.

This is a good time of year to remember that “Gratitude is the beginning of civility, of decency and goodness, of a recognition that we cannot afford to be arrogant. We should walk with the knowledge that we will need help every step of the way.” (Gordon B. Hinckley)

Happy gratitude day!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hmmmm, suppose I could have been a touch more specific. Frankly (see what I did there!) I probably didn't need to add that bit in. At the time I felt the piece of information helped underscore John's tribulations as an 'American' representative.
I think you write brilliantly and from the heart. I only wish I could write as well. We can all reflect on the nature of gratitude through your words. P.S. I love your cabinet.

Thank you very much, Raven. I do tend to let my passion for the message tread a bit on my mechanics, but I try to be a good steward for the reader. I appreciate your kindness :001_smile

As for the cabinet, it's a little more crowded now but its inventory brings me a daily dose of pleasure, something everyone can use.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thank you very much, Raven. I do tend to let my passion for the message tread a bit on my mechanics, but I try to be a good steward for the reader. I appreciate your kindness :001_smile

As for the cabinet, it's a little more crowded now but its inventory brings me a daily dose of pleasure, something everyone can use.
:thumbsup:

Not much to add except to humbly wish anyone reading this a Thanksgiving full of good cheer. I'm shaved, showered, dressed, and will be eating with the wife and in-laws in two hours. The turkey is roasting in our oven and the smell is making me impatiently hungry.

happy holiday to you and all.

I like the storage cabinet. especially the changes it variety in the shelves that were picked. a couple odd ducks thrown in their creates style.

camo

Thank you pdieten and camoloc for stopping in on Thanksgiving day to comment. I hope every one got to take a spare moment and consider what was good about today. I spoke with Mom early on, texted with my son (he's serving in Italy), and talked at length with Bella (and got to hear her laugh and sensed her smile on the other end)--overall, a pretty good day.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Beautifully written Jeff. Thought and civility are slipping too rapidly from our world, good always to have a gentle reminder of what we might all aspire to act like.

It Takes a Twit to Raise a Tweet

Beautifully written Jeff. . .
I want to type 'Thank you' again; the sentiment is pure and absolute, but I don't ever want it to come off as insincere--or worse, dismissive. To reply merely 'thank you' seems feebly insufficient, but I truly mean it . . . thank you :001_smile

Thank you, everyone, for all your kindness and generosity. To someone who has a deep respect for the power of words your affirmations hit upon a warm target. I tip my virtual hat to you, gents.

Top Bottom