What's new

The Ikon X3 and the Maggard Slant: A Side by Side Test and Review

I opted for the Maggard slant head, due to cost and the X3 being reviewed by many, as being on the mild side.

After 3 shaves with the MS I find it very smooth and reasonably mild. It is a great slant for those with sensitive skin and course hair.

I find the German 37 a bit more aggressive than the MS but not as smooth. I think I will rotate between the MS & G37 over the next few weeks. If I want a close quick 2 pass shave I will go for the G37. If i want a smooth DFS with little or no chance of irritation i will opt for the MS.

I also found the G37 was easy to use from the 1st shave. As the MS takes a bit more getting used to, and each shave is getting a bit better. Both are great slant heads at a good price, they also each offer a different type of shave.

I am really late to this party but have an interesting point to share. I have been feeding data (I have access to a little over 60 razors) into the online AIs - ChatGPT 3.5, Bard (Google's AI) and Bing Assistant (Microsoft's AI and really ChatGPT 4 under the covers) on all the razors and blades I am going to be testing. I asked them to pick a representative mild, medium, and aggressive (I defined aggressiveness to them as "aggressiveness refers to how efficiently a razor cuts hair, often influenced by the blade exposure and blade gap") razor that would be representative of those labels as possible to use as blade test beds. Cross-feeding their responses, they settled on the Merkur 34C as the mild representative, the Razorock LUPO as the medium representative, The Muhle R41 as the aggressive representative (current version, I don't have access to the older one). I also asked for a representative slant (as it is a different experience / mechanical) and they chose the iKon X3.

I am really late to this party but have an interesting point to share. I have been feeding data (I have access to a little over 60 razors) into the online AIs - ChatGPT 3.5, Bard (Google's AI) and Bing Assistant (Microsoft's AI and really ChatGPT 4 under the covers) on all the razors and blades I am going to be testing. I asked them to pick a representative mild, medium, and aggressive (I defined aggressiveness to them as "aggressiveness refers to how efficiently a razor cuts hair, often influenced by the blade exposure and blade gap") razor that would be representative of those labels as possible to use as blade test beds. Cross-feeding their responses, they settled on the Merkur 34C as the mild representative, the Razorock LUPO as the medium representative, The Muhle R41 as the aggressive representative (current version, I don't have access to the older one). I also asked for a representative slant (as it is a different experience / mechanical) and they chose the iKon X3.
The iKon X3 is a very good slant. I use it when I have had a great shave the day before, like with the Maggard slant, and don't want as an aggressive or long lasting shave as the Maggard delivered. The X3 is a comfortable shaver, fairly close shave, gives my face a rest from more aggressive razors. There is a very slight difference between the two sides of the Ikon X3, but for all intents and purposes, the sides are the same to me. Not like my Lutz slant which I understand the X3 was patterned after.

Top Bottom