What's new

The Ikon X3 and the Maggard Slant: A Side by Side Test and Review

The Ikon X3 and the Maggard Slant: A Side by Side Test and Review

I chose to test these razors against each other, because they are direct competitors. The two razors are readily available, with the Maggard being a little easier to get (I bought my Ikon head from Maggard!) and the Ikon being about $20 cheaper overall.

The Ikon X3 was screwed to their own OSS Ikon handle and the Maggard Slant Bar to their own MR5 Handle. So both were paired with appropriate handles. Handle choice is a matter of personal comfort, and to some degree balance, but in my opinion does not affect performance as much as some claim,

Blade Choice:

For this test I chose a Baili Platinum Super Stainless. Why? Well the Baili is not, in my opinion, a premium blade. It's an OK blade. It's readily available. I wanted to see how both razors performed with an average blade. I'll run the test again with what I consider a premium blade. Also, though some blades and shavers clearly pair better, I am reluctant to keep a razor in my rotation that is excessively blade fussy. I believe that a well designed razor should be able to give you a very good shave with a variety of blades, although one may finally settle on a preferred brand.

Shave Prep:

I always wash my face and soften my beard with two washes in very warm water with a glycerin soap. Then I use a pre-shave oil. For all my tests, for consistency, I use an Arko shave stick and my Stirling Kong synthetic brush.

Beard growth:

24 hours growth. My previous shave had been with a razor I like a lot. The PAA Prismatic, one of the most underrated shavers, in my opinion; but I digress! No, not Mergress or Progress!

The Shave:

A three pass shave: WTG, XTG and ATG, plus touch up and buffing. Beard growth is pretty even for me, so I shaved the left side of my face with the Maggard the right with the Ikon. This was my first shave with the Ikon, but I've used the Maggard about six times.

Both of these slant bar razors were smooth on all passes. However the Ikon X3 was smoother and more comfortable on all passes than the Maggasrd, and especially ATG. One of my key tests is how I respond to the razor when shaving ATG is, the area between the upper lip and the nose. In this area I'm very conscious if I feel that the razor is going to bite me. I got this feeling with the Maggard. I felt much more comfortable with the Ikon in this, often problem, area.

Also the neck and jawline was smoother and easier to shave with the Ikon, which surprised me, because the head is marginally bigger.

After three passes and touch up, a little buffing, both razors gave me a very good shave. No cuts nicks or weepers with either razor. Both gave very good shaves.

Posts Shave:

The feedback from the alum block was minimal for both sides of my face, but the side shaved with the Ikon X3 gave almost no feedback; an indication it produced less irritation than the Maggard

Conclusion:

First let me say that I am happy to have both razors in my rotation. I'm comparing two very good razors. They are both efficient and smooth. Both can give you a good shave, and both are streets ahead of most other razors. I have over 53 DE safety razors and I would put both in my top 10.

But I have to declare (at least for this blade pairing, and probably others) the winner is the Ikon X3.

Why? It's smooth and efficient, and very forgiving in use. It buffs better that the Maggard. Can I get smoother shaves than either razor offers? Yes. My Wunderbar produces closer shaves. My Mergress does too, if I increase the aggression with each pass. But the Wunderbar requires a very light touch, or it will cause weepers and irritation if you're careless. The Mergress is pricier, rarer, and some don't like adjustable razors.

If I needed to shave fast, and close, I would choose the Ikon X3 over the Wunderbar, because it's more forgiving and less likely to produce weepers.. I would also add that I own the Ikon 102, and I feel the X3 is more efficient. The 102 is extremely smooth but a little too mild for my taste. It requires more passes and a lot of buffing, though I will admit it's probably the smoothest slant I have ever used.

Some people have reported blade alignment issues (even Maggard themselves to their credit say so on their website) with the Maggard. I've had none. Also the Maggard is more competitively priced: You can buy the head alone for $20. With the MR5 handle it's $20 cheaper than the Ikon even when the latter is on sale, for $60. By the way, Ikon razors have come down in price markedly in the last few months, though supply remains spotty.

I prefer to buy from Maggard. They ship fast, they're friendly, and their customer service is excellent. I cannot say the same for Ikon.

Either razor is a very good buy, and you can get a very fine shave, even if you are new to shaving with a DE safety razor. Don't let anyone tell you slants are all aggressive. These two razors are on the milder side, yet very efficient. Give them a try and let me know what you think.

I'll probably do a test with either the Polsiver Super Iridium, and/or the Gillette Nacet.

Have you tried switching sides of the face being shaved too? I find I do better on my left side neck and right side cheek than vice versa

Have you tried switching sides of the face being shaved too? I find I do better on my left side neck and right side cheek than vice versa

Yes, but not for this test. I have even enough beard growth that I don't think this is a factor. I've shaved a long time, and get even results on both sides of my face. The first pass WTG indicated that the Ikon X3 was a smoother razor. The tests are only indicators. They don't have true scientific rigor, yet I find them valuable. I think I can safely say that the Ikon X3 is better razor, and others will find the same. But despite that comment they are both very good razors. I really like the Maggard. It's better in my opinion than the Merkur 37C and even better than the RazoRock German 37, which I like a lot. The Maggard is smoother than the PAA Bakelite Slant and less blade fussy. It's just a little rougher to use than the Ikon X3, and I'm surprised to find this to be the case.

Wait... iKon is $20 cheaper? How is that possible when the Maggard slant doesn't even cost $20? Forgive me if I'm missing something here. Thanks for the review.

Ohhhh never mind. I see what happened. I think in your first paragraph, you meant 'the Maggard is $20 cheaper over all' because you say that later. Just ignore me :D

The iKon is a very nie razor, however I have two points of criticism with it.
First, it is based on the Solingen differential head, and is sort of differential itself. The more aggressive side however is muted down so much, there barely is any difference anymore.
Second, and whether this is criticism is debatable: it shaves and that's it. The fun of shaving is missing a bit, imho. If all you need is a quick perfect shave, the X3 is absolutely a great candidate.

The Maggard is a razor based on a totally different beast, a Mulcutoslant. That razor is rather aggressive, and the Maggard inherited that. With the Maggard you have to be a bit more carefull shaving. Once you do that, you will get the same perfect shaves, it's just that they take a bit longer.

An interesting comparison would be the original iKon slant vs the Maggard, as these are based on the same Mulcuto-original. Doing that you'll notice the iKon is slightly more comfortable, yet the Maggard shaves deeper.

First, it is based on the Solingen differential head, and is sort of differential itself. The more aggressive side however is muted down so much, there barely is any difference anymore.
Second, and whether this is criticism is debatable: it shaves and that's it. The fun of shaving is missing a bit, imho. If all you need is a quick perfect shave, the X3 is absolutely a great candidate.
Okay, so that was by design. I remember when the X3 first came out, folks immediately noticed the different number of ridges on each side and thought that the design was supposed to be where one side was more aggressive than the other. However as we all started testing that theory, we all came to the conclusion that there was no noticeable difference between the two sides. You are correct thought that it is a good shaver but is lacking character that would make it unique.

The lack of character of the X3 head is what makes it such a wonderful tool. Paired with a sharp Super Iridium or Voskhod it's a phenomenal shaver for me. I prefer the X3 shave more than either my Wolfman SB or Blackbird. It's just smoother shave...and a better shave.

I'll take that quick perfect shave any day.

Hmm. The X3, while decent, is my least favorite slant in that it's just too mild for me anymore. I have to work harder with it to get an acceptable shave, compared to a more aggressive tool such as the German 37 or Wunderbar. Even the SC102 is better, IMO.

The lack of character of the X3 head is what makes it such a wonderful tool. Paired with a sharp Super Iridium or Voskhod it's a phenomenal shaver for me. I prefer the X3 shave more than either my Wolfman SB or Blackbird. It's just smoother shave...and a better shave.

I'll take that quick perfect shave any day.
Granted, there are times when you just want a good shave with something consistent and reliable. For me, a DE1 (Tech head clone) for my regular DE razors, Gillette Slim for my adjustables, Kai Captain Kamisori for my Feather AC razors, and the X3 for my slants all serve that purpose. Nothing wrong with any of them.

The Maggard is a razor based on a totally different beast, a Mulcutoslant. That razor is rather aggressive, and the Maggard inherited that. With the Maggard you have to be a bit more carefull shaving. Once you do that, you will get the same perfect shaves, it's just that they take a bit longer.

An interesting comparison would be the original iKon slant vs the Maggard, as these are based on the same Mulcuto-original. Doing that you'll notice the iKon is slightly more comfortable, yet the Maggard shaves deeper.

I really don't understand this. Are you saying that the efficiency of the X3 makes it no fun? If so, than on this logic to maximize fun one would have to find the most inefficient razor, presumably with the worst blade? I've got a few candidates for you!

Hmm. The X3, while decent, is my least favorite slant in that it's just too mild for me anymore. I have to work harder with it to get an acceptable shave, compared to a more aggressive tool such as the German 37 or Wunderbar. Even the SC102 is better, IMO.

I don't agree that the Ikon X3 is too mild for anyone. Certainly not as mild as the Ikon 102. Can I ask what blade you're using sir?

The German 37 is not especially aggressive and it's a razor I like very much. I used it to get 30 wonderful shaves from a Polsilver Super Iridium blade with never a cut, nick, or weeper. The Wunderbar is very efficient and aggressive. It requires a very light touch I find. Some razors are aggressive and inefficient: For example, The Ikon Tech, the first iteration of the Muhle R41, the Fatip Piccolo. Some are aggressive and efficient: For example, The newer Muhle R41, The Schone Italian Open Comb, the old RazoRock Jaws, The Mergress or Progress on their higher settings.

I agree some razors are too mild and can make irritation more likely. For example, I find it impossible to get a decent shave with the PAA DOC. Just too mild for my coarse beard. I like the Gillette Tech but can never get a really close shave with one.

Some razors I would describe as efficient and mid aggressive: For example, the Gillette Slim at the higher settings, the Gillette New Type (very smooth too), the Gillette Red Tip. the RazoRock German 37, the PAA Bakelite Slant, the PAA Prismatic, the RazoRock Slab, the Maggard Slant.

Some are mild and efficient for example the Merkur Bakelite 45, the RazoRock Black Hawk the RazoRock BabySmooth, the Ikon 102.

Generally I like efficient aggressive razors. They minimize irritation. I can't stand aggressive inefficient razors like the Pearl TTO. It just cuts up your face and is a horrible shaver. No upside. Similarly the Lutz slant. However sometimes an efficient mild razor that may require an extra pass, or a little extra buffing like the Ikon 102; a very forgiving and useful razor, though I almost abandoned it as too mild about a year ago.

Last week I had to have a fast, shave because I was going to appear in the evening on local TV. I turned to the Ikon 102 (to my surprise) because I knew I could get a close shave, shave fast, and have almost zero chance of getting nicks or weepers. Likewise the Ikon X3, or Merkur Bakelite.

If I want to take a little more time and ensure I have a close shave that lasts many, many hours the Wunderbar is great. That razor has given me the closest shave I've ever had, but it requires a little more attention and care.

Getting the best shave possible out of a variety of razors and blades is part of the fun for me. It's like an engineering challenge. I have long since lost interest in looking for the "one true razor". Where's the fun in that? Variety is the spice of life!

Part of the fun is discovering that there are many razors and blades that can give you a decent shave, and that some are horrible!

I really don't understand this. Are you saying that the efficiency of the X3 makes it no fun? If so, than on this logic to maximize fun one would have to find the most inefficient razor, presumably with the worst blade? I've got a few candidates for you!
I'm saying this razor lacks personality. A Toyota Prius will get you where you want to go, possibly very efficiently as well, but is it fun to drive? That is the X3 for me. A Prius.

Just used the Maggard Slant yesterday for the first time with a MR18 handle, that combination really looks great and performs very well. I'd say it's just a little more aggressive than my X3. I like slants when I have about 3 days of growth, they just mow it down.

If I want a quick, effortless, smooth and decent shave then I quite often turn to the X3. However, I've never managed to get a really close shave from it, which, with a bit of attention, I can generally obtain from almost all of the 20 or so other vintage and modern razors I have. I probably could improve my technique with it to the point of getting at least a dfs every time, but somehow it just doesn't inspire me to put in the effort.

I bought a Maggard last week and have about 4 shaves on it now. I get so much closer of a shave with it than I do with a X3 and it hasn't bit me or anything and zero irritation. I really like it.

I bought a Maggard last week and have about 4 shaves on it now. I get so much closer of a shave with it than I do with a X3 and it hasn't bit me or anything and zero irritation. I really like it.
I recently bought a Maggard slant, too, and paired it with their bulldog type stainless handle. I've used it twice with effortless BBS results and no irritation. I wish I would have found this razor years ago. It would have saved me a lot of money buying other razors.

Top Bottom