What's new

The I don't know you, or beer mooching friend beer

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Does any one else keep a 6 pack of something like MGD or Coors in the fridge to give those folks that are friends of friends, or that one friend who always seems to drink more beer than they bring? Back when my house always seemed to be party central (way before I met my wife) my roommates and I kept a case of Milwaukee's Best in the fridge for people who came over and asked for beer, or only brought 2 beers to watch an entire game with, then asked for beer. It usually only took once or twice for them to get the picture and start bringing enough beer for themselves. Don't get me wrong, I will share the last beer I have with a friend or even a friend of a friend as long as I know they're not going to come back next time and continue to mooch my KBS.

Oh, yeah. MGD and Coors (especially the original Banquet beer) aren't bad beers. But if I spend $16 on a 4 pack and you continually come to my house and drink 2-3 or those 4 beers eventually you're going to get an MGD instead of whatever I'm drinking. At least it's not Milwaukee's Best anymore.

Rant over.

All my buddies are pretty good about not doing stuff like that, so I guess I'm lucky. Most of us just bring our own beer over when we meet up to watch a game or have a cigar - works pretty well.

I hand out a ton of beer in the summer as I always have a big Yeti cooler full of ice and beer on my cottage deck. I don’t mind that much as a) I only drink cheap beer at the cottage (I love strong IPAs, but they don’t love me in the sun) and b) my place seems to be the popular hangout. I drink lots of beers when I go to the others’ places, but they do come out ahead as they spend a lot of time at our place. I don’t mind as it isn’t really mooching as I dont expect my friends to come over for a beer with their pockets full of backup beers.

What does p!$$ me off are the idiots that show up with a 6 pack of crap beer and drink all of my expensive IPAs, vodka coolers and wine. I just don’t invite them back or call them on it. 😝

never had the issue. Most of the friends I hang out with will bring more than they drink. I usually end up with a garage fridge a little more full than it would have been.... I usually have an amazing eclectic selection of micro brews by the end of the summer.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
People are funny with their tricks. I had a roommate once who would “forget” his wallet when we were all out to dinner. He wasn’t invited anymore but he never seemed to mind.
Also had the cheese pizza scenario. Large group ordering several pies. A few folks would insist on the most outlandish toppings. Onion, chili, pineapple, hot peppers, etc....
However the little unloved cheese pizza would be automatically devoured soon after arrival. I then would start to pay attention and notice the crazy toppings people making a bee line to the cheese pizza. One guy who wanted the toppings later claimed he was no longer in the mood for it. 🤪😜

People are funny with their tricks. I had a roommate once who would “forget” his wallet when we were all out to dinner. He wasn’t invited anymore but he never seemed to mind.
Also had the cheese pizza scenario. Large group ordering several pies. A few folks would insist on the most outlandish toppings. Onion, chili, pineapple, hot peppers, etc....
However the little unloved cheese pizza would be automatically devoured soon after arrival. I then would start to pay attention and notice the crazy toppings people making a bee line to the cheese pizza. One guy who wanted the toppings later claimed he was no longer in the mood for it. 🤪😜
In college, we used to make “trash” pizza. We’d make a couple homemade crusts and go through the fridge to find anything that wasn’t rotten, but might be good on a pie. As they cooked, the odors would make it through the apartments. Guys wounder start showing up whenever we cooked, but none of our food mooching neighbors wanted any trash pizza, ever. After enough cheap beer...they were always delicious. Usually better than our bologna soup anyhow!

I remember the year of 1994
I invited a few friends at home to watch the football game Bulgaria vs Nigeria
And I said that the drinks are on me
One said that that he would bring pizza and beer
The other one said that he would bring a very tasty salami
The last one was so excited and said
You guys made a great plan we have everything we need so i will bring my brother
A few hours later we found out that this guy had been damn serious :confused:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Being a long time homebrewer and having a ton of friends that are also are brewers or just very much into beer, we all love to bring beers to pass around and share. There's something about this group. We all seem to bring twice as much as we can drink, ourselves, even if it's just a plain ol' party and not some kind of homebrew competition, bottle share, or other beer event.

I've thrown a number of parties where I've wound up with more beer in the house than I started with, and it's good stuff! I'm not the only one who's experienced that, either.

I've even been invited to "fridge/cooler clearing" parties where the host specifically asks guests to NOT bring beer. He just wants to clear out his stash because he's overbought over time (we also do that), and he wants to make room for more overbuying. Typically, very few honor that request (mostly because we're all in the same situation). I recall one party where one guest brought two growlers (i.e., a gallon) of high ABV bet they just brought back from San Diego. 🤣

It's tough living, let me tell you.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've thrown a number of parties where I've wound up with more beer in the house than I started with, and it's good stuff! I'm not the only one who's experienced that, either.

So it basically boils down to making sure you have the right friends to invite over!

I hate virtue signal pizza people. They always make us order a veggie or cheese pizza although they don't eat it. I didn't ask you what your imaginary friend wanted, I asked you what you wanted.

We have a thread for that, too ...

I had a friend who used to keep a stash of warm cheap beer for when his mooching neighbors would drop by. “Sorry, haven’t restocked the fridge.” Though that wasn’t true. They’d still drink it, but it did presumably cut down on the frequency and length of their visits.
That’s brilliant. 👍

Top Bottom