What's new

The Humburg Ring - BFSTQUAL Silver steel

I can’t find any useful info on this blade, hoping someone here might know more than i do. Still in need of TLC but the blade cut hanging hair. Feel a bit toothy, guess the real test is going to shave with it.

E3F0A5B2-3BCC-499B-B27C-222E4954D81C.jpeg

FDD0698F-6A66-4EBD-B4B9-27A16D84FB7E.jpeg

I'm willing to wager that it is supposed to be BEST QUAL(Best quality) Silver steel, Germany. I Bet this was a miss strike and that the E was misinformed. The name was referring to the fine Hamburg hollow grounding technique, and the sound a blade would make as it removed stubble. Unfortunately there are a lot of orphaned Sheffield and German/Solingen blades with out a makers mark. You can be sure it is a nice German made blade made post 1891, but likely from the 30's-50's. Looks to be in nice condition congrats!

Matt

I have something similar a 5/8 unknown hamburg ring too and it's a wonderful blade. The buzz it makes as it goes through stubble is really addictive lol.

I was somewhat skeptical about the ring but can confirm I have ringing blade. It is very, very sharp and retain that sharp edge longer that any of my other blades. It is now my best shaving blade and out performs my Dovo Bismarck that is already an exceptional blade.

I was somewhat skeptical about the ring but can confirm I have ringing blade. It is very, very sharp and retain that sharp edge longer that any of my other blades. It is now my best shaving blade and out performs my Dovo Bismarck that is already an exceptional blade.

They are really fun blades, my take is not all steel can be extra hollow ground.

A it has the have the right blend of hardness and softness to allow it to be ground that way and maintain blade and edge integrity.

Too soft it might warp as its ground, too hard and its going to take forever or shatter during the process.
I love these unique grinds. Extra hollow, or full hollow with a belly etc. Compared to my near wedges or 1/4 hollows, I find these grinds the most addictive.
Now if only I can get one in 16/16 or more and as long as a herder 30 that would be truly awesome blade.
Can you imagine a 6.5" long 1" wide blade buzzing along its full length as you shave... Its Magic lol!

Top Bottom