What's new

The Housing Market...

Yeah, I think most of the TX property tax funds schools also. They had really good schools in the area I was looking (Sugarland). There wasn't any state income tax either so it wasn't a dealbreaker. I hear people w/o kids complain a lot about paying property taxes since they don't have kids. I think they fail to realize your point regarding their effect on surrounding home prices. Plus, I don't know of many great shools in bad neighborhoods so it is a proxy for community quality.

Along with good schools that achieve and/or surpass state test levels; team sports, the arts, clubs, second languages, college credit classes, etc. are also offered. All students are offered what they need from 'gifted' to 'at-risk'. A greater majority of students continue their education and those students are tomorrows decision makers.
Sue

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This may be too personal a question to ask, but since it's been mentioned a few times already, here goes-

What do you guys pay in real estate taxes? I'm just curious as to what folks are paying around the country.

My nut is 17 :mad3:

ouch said:
This may be too personal a question to ask, but since it's been mentioned a few times already, here goes-

What do you guys pay in real estate taxes? I'm just curious as to what folks are paying around the country.

My nut is 17 :mad3:

$17K?!! American?!!! Ouch (sorry, that was just too easy). Mine is around $1,200/year in Phoenix. That's for a 1,500 sft house worth about $320K.

I pay $2400/year for my townhouse worth $475k. But it's based on the original purchase price of $215k and the small 3% increase/year allowed by prop 13. I also pay the city an additional $1200/year for mello roos.

Now, if I bought today, my tax payment would be about $5250/year, with an additional $1200/year for mello roos. Now there's some serious cash for the schools.

I have no problem paying taxes, but because RE is so expensive here, it's really out of whack.

And here it's not like some states with high RE taxes. I still pay income and sales tax.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
John, I though So Cal would have been even higher than that. If you feel any better, I have friends in NYC who pay less yearly RE tax than my last increase.:frown:

i live in wisconsin, which is one of the highest taxed states in the nation. original purchase price = $131K & taxes = $3600 last year. i would have to dig up last years tax bill to find out what the house was assessed for...i think it's around $185K.

i'm not complaining, house in my neighborhood are selling for $225K and up now.

s~s

ouch said:
John, I though So Cal would have been even higher than that. If you feel any better, I have friends in NYC who pay less yearly RE tax than my last increase.:frown:

Well, prop 13 helps if you already own. Now, a $100k increase still only gets you to $575, which is still a condo. Most single family homes are easily $700k+, so the tax bill goes up significantly.

Top Bottom