What's new

The horror.the horror

Yep, thanks a lot guys. Something new to obsess over.

Oh well, just took delivery on my first fountain pen since grade school (I'm 58). Its a Peliken M200 plus just ordered a Lamy with a flexible nib and some ink samples to try out.

Working on my (horrible) penmanship. Currently practicing on legal pads but from the comments here I get the sense that pen troubles may be in my future from using what I suppose is a poor quality paper. Problem is a really need lined paper to practice on so......what to buy??? I should point out I am a lefty and an overwriter to boot.

Again, curse all of you guys...................you just weren't satisfied with wet shaving.

Just you wait....next it will be paper...then inks. The holes around here can get pretty deep. You can find guide line templates at a number of sites on line. Print and medium quality printing paper should be ok.

A flexible Lamy?
Is that something you're having custom ground? I wasn't aware there were any flexy Lamy's.
M200 is a fine choice. As for paper, I like Black 'n Red pads for cheap every day writing. When I want something that's a little classier, Basildon Bond is my choice.

Lol yer Doooomed, but welcome aboard, staples eco earth sustainable notebooks are cheap and local and suitable for practice without having to spend a lot

Of course I love my Midori MD and Alicia Premium CD notebooks from namiki paper if you dont mind spending a lot (then I dont consider these a lot)

Welcome aboard. As for paper, you could purchase a ream of paper in order to print your own lines or to place a lined guide underneath. The option of purchasing lined paper is also good. Happy shopping.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
If you're just practicing you can use your legal pad - as long as the pen doesn't drag too much and the feathering doesn't drive you stark raving mad. Printer paper isn't too bad. Again, if you're just practicing it probably doesn't matter all that much if your lines are not straight. If you're near a staples and can find the old school composition books made (I'm pretty sure) in Brazil: cheap and FP friendly.

By the by, I'm 62 and had not used cursive since maybe 1964. I couldn't remember all the letters. Hang in there, it keeps getting better.

Be careful, Pelikans can multiply quicker then rabbits! The M200 is a great choice.

Welcome to B&B and The Nib!

Don't worry about being a lefty with FP's. Speaking from experience it's not that bad. Just take it slow (as you should). Writing with a FP should be enjoyed. Welcome to the club!

...Currently practicing on legal pads but from the comments here I get the sense that pen troubles may be in my future from using what I suppose is a poor quality paper. Problem is a really need lined paper to practice on so......what to buy??? I should point out I am a lefty and an overwriter to boot.

Some "regular" papers are perfectly fine for fountain pens, but you have to find out which through trial and error, or other people's advice. I had a pad of graph paper from somewhere that was as good as anything I'd ever tried, but I used it up on non-permanent writings. One legal pad was almost as good, but it's gone too, except for individual sheets that I saved. You'll probably want to try one of the premium brands you read about eventually, but if the paper you're using doesn't feel too rough (which could be the pen, too), if you aren't getting little paper fibers stuck in the nib, if the ink doesn't seem to spread out a lot (feathering), and if there's only faint show-through of writing from one side of a sheet to the other, then what you have may be just fine.

Again, curse all of you guys...................you just weren't satisfied with wet shaving.

Well, if it helps, I've been so busy with fountain pen stuff that I haven't bought anything shaving related in what will be two years this February.

That's based on meticulous record keeping which also tells me that I've spent way more on pen stuff than shaving stuff. Maybe you'd better go back to looking for vintage razors.:wink2:

Here's another vote for the Sustainable Earth notebooks from Staples. Very fountain pen friendly, very inexpensive, and very durable.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I really like the Rhodia dot pads. It's great to practice writing in a straight line without actual lines on the paper. The dots are faint. Also good for doodling, diagrams, drawing etc.

Top Bottom