What's new

The Holy Grail

The problem with 'grails' is that when you get one, there's another grail you had no idea about just waiting for you to find it just around the corner.
I have an Iwasaki western Tamagahane, very nice blade.

Having owned or still own a lot of razors that most people would call "Grail" razors, the only one I'm still really chasing is a very good condition and usable pre 1800 razor. I've got an Iwasaki Western razor that from memory I paid about US$300 for. I've got a Mappin Lancet Edge, a Dovo with solid MOP scales, a 7 Day set the the interchangeable blades, a pair of Mappins with scrimshaw scales, a Buddel damascus custom with Mammoth ivory scales etc. etc.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
MY current grail.

il_1140xN.2798141232_ekge.jpg

Alex Gilmore has an Iwasaki tamahagane and a Zowada timahagane. I’ve tried both these razors.

Both are excellent, thay take great edges and shave butter smooth. I could not test edge longevity of course, with them being loaned to me.

But guess what? Other razors shave equally well, and many steels were made with a similar process as tamahagane - many pre-Bessemer process steels were made the same way. The Japanese graded the tamahagane out of the kiln, the sword makers getting the best, then they beat and folded it to purify it. The Europeans also made bloom steel, as tamahgane is, but they purified batches by remelting it in a crucible rather than by only the labor intesive hand hammering. That’s where ‘acier fondue’, ’cast steel’, ‘crucible steel’ terms came from. The Japanese purified the bloom steel by beating and folding it, the Europeans purified it by remelting bloom steel in a pot, as Tim Zowada does and Iwasaki did.

As far as shaving and edge retention go, C.V. Heljestrand, E.A. Berg, Klas Torblöm, Filarmonica Sub Cero, Tanifuji (and Perfectworks) Silver Steel and oddly enough, some of the older ‘cast steel’ or ‘acier fondue’ English and French razors are as good as far as having a hard, fine grained steel that will hold the finest edge. Not to mention the great Thiers-Issard C135.

And of course the Swedes had the advantage out of the gate because of the extremely high grade iron ore that they have, and if you want the best steel, a good vintage Swedish razor will rival any razor steel that the world has ever produced. Isn’t that right @Polarbeard ? Let me twist your paw.

First of all: Thank You Steve for an excellent essay. :ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

The Swedish mountains holds the purest iron ore in the world. It has been mined for more than 1000 years, and during the 1600's Swedish mines supplied Europe with about 60 percent of the iron consumption and close to 100 percent of the copper. That and the Swedish army was the power base of the now long lost Swedish empire. Empires cost blood and agony for most people living in them so I am thankful that it ended when it did. You mention Japanese steel. For about 160 years ( about 850- 1010 AD) Viking swords of Japanese quality were made and branded "Ulfberth". The historians are disputing were in Europe these viking swords were made, but most of them have been found in graves of Norse warriors. The vikings didn't only sail westwards but they also sailed east down the Volga, founded Kiev, served as the East Roman emperors life guard and might have gone as far east as India. One theory is that they might have brought the knowledge of advanced steel making with them from the middle east. In any case most European historians argue that the Ulfberth swords were made in their country and I guess that we'll never get to know the truth. Then again "Ulfberth" is a Norse name and the swords have a very typical Norse design.... I am not a historian, but I would be proud if it turns out that my ancestors knew how to make steel of a quality Europe wouldn't see for another 800 years or so.

I've got all the razors I'll ever need. I never got a Damascus Zowada, but over the years I pretty much covered the rest. If I only could keep three it would be a CVH 32, a CVH 31 and a 5/8 TI c135. I have secured back ups of those razors to be on the safe side.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
YW Arne,

A nice short article, complimentary of Swedish ore/steel is here:

They were using Swedish wrought iron to start with rather than ore, which likely was better with respect to transport from Sweden (but this is a guess).

If one were going to have a custom razor made, a piece of good Swedish steel would be an ideal starting point. I figure that with so much military equipment having been made, that good pieces should be available. I asked a friend that if I could find a tank made of Swedish steel would he like to split it with me. He asked if he’d get the front half or the rear! In comparison, tamahagane in english means ‘ball steel’, and by ’ball’ they mean cannon balls. A few of those would do nicely.

I've got all the razors I'll ever need. I never got a Damascus Zowada, but over the years I pretty much covered the rest. If I only could keep three it would be a CVH 32, a CVH 31 and a 5/8 TI c135. I have secured back ups of those razors to be on the safe side.
Interestingly, I think my "grail" razor was one that I wasn't even looking for. I got an offer on ebay for a razor I had looked at, 25% off the asking price, and decided to take a chance on it. A F.W. Soderen hollow ground, 11/16. It's really quite an astonishing shaver. The more I use it the more I wonder why I bother buying any more. (He says as he continues to buy more).

20210830_065634.jpg

YW Arne,

A nice short article, complimentary of Swedish ore/steel is here:

They were using Swedish wrought iron to start with rather than ore, which likely was better with respect to transport from Sweden (but this is a guess).

If one were going to have a custom razor made, a piece of good Swedish steel would be an ideal starting point. I figure that with so much military equipment having been made, that good pieces should be available. I asked a friend that if I could find a tank made of Swedish steel would he like to split it with me. He asked if he’d get the front half or the rear! In comparison, tamahagane in english means ‘ball steel’, and by ’ball’ they mean cannon balls. A few of those would do nicely.
"If one were going to have a custom razor made, a piece of good Swedish steel would be an ideal starting point." My IKwasaki kamisori is made from Swedish steel.

I don't really chase pristine razors, and am usually satisfied with a good functional razor of a specific design or make.

This one came up for sale recently, for a selling price of £600 or about $800 for our American friends.

Being a huge Fili fan, I was tempted, but simply could not justify spending that much on something that will probably only be special to me.

I offered £400 and the offer was declined. I don't feel regret for passing on the opportunity.

1632357055588.png

Not sure I buy into the whole grail thing. I just keep trying different razors and along the way I seem to develop preferences for certain types of razors. But then individual razors come along that don't necessarily fit with the bigger trends that I just really like, so I think it also comes down to individual razors sometimes too, which is more of a random thing.

Top Bottom