What's new

The Holy Grail/Crown Jewel

Gentlemen
I received my Lambda Athena razor a few days ago and it has quite literally blown me away in both looks and performance.
To begin with, I graduated art college a number of years ago. During that time I developed a love for well designed, original works not only in art but engineered products as well. I am a big fan of Art Nouveau and Art Deco among other art forms. I also love Frank Lloyd Wright's "Prairie" architecture which evolved into the "Modernist" architecture in the 50's. Palm Springs is a wonderful place to see a large amount of this style. My Hone SS reminds of this style due to its simplistic, clean style and devotion to purpose without a lot of frills etc.
Now, when I first saw the Athena I knew I had to have one. To me it's drop dead gorgeous in a very Art Deco way. Same with My Smart-Helix and Razorine Flatboy. I contacted Theo Dragonas (the designer and engineer) to ask various questions and to get a better feel for where he was coming from as far as razor design etc was concerned. He very nicely and completely answered all questions and concerns. So I pulled the trigger and now here it is.
The case is a work of art by itself. This is the first display case I have out on the shelf and that's where it will stay. Beautifully made, finished and a fitting case for this razor. The razor itself is, to me, beyond compare with anything else I own or have owned. Highly polished, immaculately finished, extremely well engineered and a joy to hold. The balance is superb, easy to manoeuvre and because of a unique rinsing system fun to use. I know some will say the handle can be slippery but I can always use a towel if I have to. There is no way I will substitute another handle for this razor. That would be like putting ketchup on a prime rib steak. I used a new PolSilver blade and got a 2 pass with a bit of buffing shave. ZERO irritation and very intuitive to use. I employed a fairly steep angle and had some aural feedback throughout the shave. I finished off with some Pierre Cardin aftershave balm and felt like a lottery winner. Just wow.
The razor was 190 euros which included shipping. A BARGAIN! Seriously. Even the wife said it was beautiful. You can get in touch with Theo directly through email if you want to. Not sure what the protocol is for giving out email addresses so if you're interested, pm me. This, for me, is truly a grail razor.
IMG_2254.jpeg
IMG_2255.jpeg
IMG_2256.jpeg
IMG_2257.jpeg
IMG_2258 2.jpeg
IMG_2259.jpeg
IMG_2260.jpeg

It is a beautiful razor….trying my best not to give in to temptation.

Great review. Glad you found your “grail” razor. How would you compare its smoothness and efficiency to some of your other razors?
Thanx. It is mild and efficient. Right up there with then Smart-Helix, GreenCult and the Razorine Flatboy although the Flatboy is probably a wee bit more aggressive, but not much.

Congratulations!
It's absolutely stunning😍
I was unaware of these and just read about them.
I honestly find it reasonably priced for what it is in comparison to other boutique razors.
Hand made in Greece and a functional work of art for under $200?
That's a winner!
I must resist!!!😫

Last edited:
People are way too loose with the phrase holy grail these days lol. Imo what makes it a grail is the fact its supposed to be difficult to find or practically unobtainium.
Add to cart and check out is completely against my grail philosophy.
I'm glad you got your dream razor, enjoy it!

People are way too loose with the phrase holy grail these days lol. Imo what makes it a grail is the fact its supposed to be difficult to find or practically unobtainium.
I guess it's a term that's interpreted differently by everyone. To me your definition is not my definition of Holy Grail.
For me it would be finding the overall best performing (and beautiful) razor whether its obscure or not.
Essentially the last razor I would ever need to buy and use!
RAD is a bad thing though when it comes to this because it leads to always looking for the next best one when the one your already holding might be the one. That's how I see it anyways, LOL!

I guess it's a term that's interpreted differently by everyone. To me your definition is not my definition of Holy Grail.
For me it would be finding the overall best performing (and beautiful) razor whether its obscure or not.
Essentially the last razor I would ever need to buy and use!
RAD is a bad thing though when it comes to this because it leads to always looking for the next best one when the one your already holding might be the one. That's how I see it anyways, LOL!
And you can‘t know if you have the best razor for you unless you have also tried every other razor. And that is a huge quest and, frankly, unaffordable and never-ending, and your wife will leave you. And even then there may not actually be a ‘best’ razor for you - there could just be a bunch of equally good but different ones. And then you’ll find your preferences change over time so the whole quest was futile (but at least you’ll have some very nice razors).

That said, there is the Rocnel Sailor.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've often contemplated where I'd be in my shaving journey had I started out with DE razors. I'll bet I'd own a ton of them now. I watch others experiment with one after the other... along with the various blades. As I've already mentioned, I enjoy watching the journeys of others on B&B. If the way I descended down the brush rabbit hole is any indication, I'd be in deep yogurt had I been exploring the various DE razors.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That's a beauty! Sweet case too. Do my OCD a favor and reattach that bit of lining that came loose. :)
This razor is WOW!

And now I have to look for the "bit of lining" that I missed!

That box it came in is werth what you paid for the whole outfit, to me my friend! Just beautiful, for all the reasons you mentioned @huck1680 ! I too have a soft spot for beautiful design, especially Art Deco.

YO... I have NEVER used the term "holy grail" in any of my previous posts. OK? This was not a razor I found easily...or maybe you think it should be some ancient artifact buried and hidden away until someone accidentally stumbles upon it. At any rate, grails are there to be discovered...by whatever means are available. Is this razor hard to get...not really. Is it something no one knows about?...Again not really. But is it something I didn't know about until I saw a post on this blog? Yes, that's exactly what it was. And because of that I found something I didn't know existed and which also became a true "grail" FOR ME. Get it? And by the way, good luck with your "grail philosophy", whatever that may be.

Gentlemen
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear as to what I found with this razor. To start with...it's gorgeous. Secondly, it shaves very well...to me. So it checks all the boxes...for me. Beauty, design, shaving, weight, balance, I could go on but it really doesn't matter. I have found the perfect razor...for me. Will I buy other razors? Possibly, but this is for me the best razor I have found. I would be very happy using just this razor for the rest of my shaving days. However, I like a bit of variety, which is why I have a small collection of what I consider to be superior razors. As with you all, I love DE shaving, it comforts and reassures me in a very personal way. I take up to 15-30 minutes just to shave and begin my day. Why? It makes me feel better and this razor accomplishes that better than just about anything else.

Top Bottom