What's new

"The Holy Grail" Bevel setter ?

The "Holy Grail" bevel setter synthetic

• Naniwa Super Ceramic 1000 (Chosera) ($80)

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Shapton Ceramic KUROMAKU #1500 ($41)

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • Suehiro CERAX 1010 Medium #1000, Ceramic sharpening stone ($41)

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
The Naniwa chosera 1k won this poll by one vote !

Two if I can include my leaning towards the chosera. The wealth of information shared by you fine folks made me buy a chosera 400 and 1000.

Thanks to all the gold dollar love on this forum (especially the thundering posts by @Slash McCoy ), I also have a few GD66s and GD208s and two Titan razors on the way from Aliexpress (thank you @rbscebu for the titan razors AE links and all the inspirational posts).

Finally the stones have landed at my door step.

View attachment 1469600

I think the binder on the 400 is stronger than on any of the others.
If I rub the terra cotta rubbing stone on the 1000,
then the green from the 1000 shows up on the rubbing stone.
But with the 400, the brown streak from the rubbing stone
shows up on the 400.

I don’t use a stone for bevel setting, I use 3M Gold Adhesive backed sandpaper laid out on my granite flattening/tooling slab. I have various grits (80, 220,400). After that I jump over to a Glass Shapton 8k, then a Belgian Coticule, and lastly a paddle strop with Veritas compound. I use a DMT DIASHARP Lapping Plate to keep my stones flat. See image.
7A85B973-FBC6-441E-968D-FAFEFD62BE8D.jpeg

Something similar works really well for me: I use the Shapton Glass 500 and Kuromaku 2000 and very much enjoy the combo. I didn't want to go lower because I still wanted to keep it flat with the same Atoma 400.

The 2k is fast, doesn't take long to wipe out the scratches from the sg500 (which is way more polite than the Atoma) and it just feels nice, one of my very favourites. Also fast enough to be a bevel setter itself for blades that aren't too far gone. With some light laps at the end I have no issue jumping to the glass 6k.

I did actually wind up getting the Chosera 1k as part of a lucky deal on Craigslist and it's sorta in between them but more toward the 2k. I agree that it loads up faster but in a predictable way, makes it very versatile with a nagura. While I enjoy having it and sometimes it's the right tool, if it was between it and my other two stones I'd keep the Shapton pair every time.
That’s interesting. Ill have to try it out since i have the 500hr and shapton 2k

Top Bottom