What's new

The Hofbrau Haus "shelf"

So I'm doing my weekend stint at the Hofbrau Haus in Columbus...

...and there's only so much a human bladder can endure...

...but in the restroom I observe this!

20201205_185733.jpg

A shelf? Obviously installed because of German specifications. Why would I ever carry a beer with me into the head? The lavatory? The latrine? Germans do this? Good Lord!

I was impressed when I read about Swiss rifle ranges with cup holders for a beer stein...but this? This becomes surreal.

I’ve actually seen those at a good number of places, but usually at bars where it’s mostly standing room (whereas a Hofbrau Haus I feel like most people would be have seats at the long tables right?).
PS I went to the Hofbrau Haus in Cleveland during a weekend trip to visit a buddy there, it was at the end of a long day of brewery visits but good time were definitely had! Better than the one in Vegas, I bet Columbus is a great spot for one as well.
B258135A-C059-456C-A57A-F8D0A19D60DE.jpeg

So I'm doing my weekend stint at the Hofbrau Haus in Columbus...

...and there's only so much a human bladder can endure...

...but in the restroom I observe this!

View attachment 1191168

A shelf? Obviously installed because of German specifications. Why would I ever carry a beer with me into the head? The lavatory? The latrine? Germans do this? Good Lord!

I was impressed when I read about Swiss rifle ranges with cup holders for a beer stein...but this? This becomes surreal.
You haven't made it to Berne's. They have cup holders above the urinals.

If you're having a great time at a beer hall you would be up and about and being a social butterfly, not just eating your pretzels and schnitzel! Beer must follow. Don't want someone to steal it (or drug it in this day and age).

I'm assuming they aren't doing Shot Skis right now... Have you been there when the beer garden is open and it is nice out? We have a few days where being outside is enjoyable around here.

Nerver have seen this in Germany. Maybe it is originally something for the Hofbräuhaus Munich which is mainly for tourists from Japan and Scandinavia.

If the shelf puzzles you, then the „Pabst“ will blow your mind or gross you out.

A convenient place in the lavatory to puke your heart out after excessive beer consumption.

Pabst

Yes this is about German efficiency but I prefer to keep my beer with me....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve done it before. If you’re at a crowded bar with no table to sit at.....

If the shelf puzzles you, then the „Pabst“ will blow your mind or gross you out.

A convenient place in the lavatory to puke your heart out after excessive beer consumption.

Pabst

Yes this is about German efficiency but I prefer to keep my beer with me....

Where was this in college?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if you're not trusting of your colleagues.....

Since we're sharing bar restroom stories... I was in ATL many orbits ago and went to an "ESPN Sportszone" with a few friends. Many beverages were consumed. During a relief visit, I noticed all the urinals were taken, but that they had small TVs in front of each so you didn't miss the game. As I was standing in a stall, I became aware that many of the patrons appeared to have terrible aim. as I looked at the puddles on either side of the bowl, I caught a glimpse of something above and behind me. Glancing around, I discovered a TV hung over each individual stall as well. I marvelled at the efficiency...and then realized why the aim of my fellow patrons was so poor.

Nerver have seen this in Germany. Maybe it is originally something for the Hofbräuhaus Munich which is mainly for tourists from Japan and Scandinavia.
I lived in Munich for several years, but because of terrorist activities, didn't visit the Hofbräuhaus for about 2 years. My boss was killed by Baader Meinhof when they blew up his armored limo so I also stayed away from a lot of public places.
At the Hofbräuhaus, when you got a table, it was yours, and others in the crowd had to ask if it was OK to sit in your unoccupied seats. This made for a great filtering device to meet college & single girls travelling Europe in the summer. Trick was to be sure she was alone, since, often big groups would send out their best comely wench as bait to ask about a table, then the entire group would descend like locusts on the table. I got a lot of weekend 'dates' that way.

Last edited:
I lived in Munich for several years, but because of terrorist activities, didn't visit the Hofbräuhaus for about 2 years. My boss was killed by Baader Meinhof when they blew up his armored limo so I also stayed away from a lot of public places.
At the Hofbräuhaus, when you got a table, it was yours, and others in the crowd had to ask if it was OK to sit in your unoccupied seats. This made for a great filtering device to meet college & single girls travelling Europe in the summer. Trick was to be sure she was alone, since, often big groups would send out their best comely wench as bait to ask about a table, then the entire group would descend like locusts on the table. I got a lot of weekend 'dates' that way.
So you worked for Siemens in the 80ties?

Actually I remembered the car bomb that killed the CEO of Deutsche Bank Herrhausen a couple of days after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the GDR in 89. The one about Dr. Beckurts I only read about...

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
AshleyC:
Many years ago at one of many October Fests I attended in Germany...I happened to 'cabbage' (ok, ok...steal), a mug from the fest tent. :thumbsup:

HB Mug.jpg

proxy.php
"[Beer] is a good letter of introduction...Cheers"! Author Unknown

20210225_175549.jpg

Those German glass beer mugs are the bomb. They feel almost bulletproof.

That picture is me, a few minutes ago at the Columbus "Gemut Biergarten". A re-purposed old fire department building in Olde Town South. Gemut is one of three "biergartens" I frequent in Columbus. It has more of a Czech feel rather than Gernan. The others are Valter's at the Mannechoir (Walter's) in German Village and, of course, Hofbrau Haus in Grandview.

Gemut has the best beer. Valter's the best pork shank, sauerkraut...and corned beef hash brunch skillet on the weekends. Hofbrau Haus is all around good...and they put beer cheese on nearly everything.

You haven't made it to Berne's. They have cup holders above the urinals.

If you're having a great time at a beer hall you would be up and about and being a social butterfly, not just eating your pretzels and schnitzel! Beer must follow. Don't want someone to steal it (or drug it in this day and age).

I'm assuming they aren't doing Shot Skis right now... Have you been there when the beer garden is open and it is nice out? We have a few days where being outside is enjoyable around here.

Bernie's? Across the street from the OSU Student Union? Downstairs? In the basement? I know the place. Played pool there. Russian language students had "Russian Club" get-togethers on Fridays. I had four quarters of Russian, so naturally, I went.

Bernie's? Across the street from the OSU Student Union? Downstairs? In the basement? I know the place. Played pool there. Russian language students had "Russian Club" get-togethers on Fridays. I had four quarters of Russian, so naturally, I went.
Berne's. On Third Ave literally off Northwest Blvd in Grandview. Short Drive from Haufbrau.

Pretty common in Germany yes.

Clubs in Berlin almost always have them since you carry your drink around/ no tables.

I even seen a mirror version of that in a Berlin Club, not for drinks.

Top Bottom