What's new

The hobby in 10 years from now

Exactly the same 10 years from now. Only difference will be how we communicate with each other about it.

I don’t believe we will ever get away from shaving. So there will always be a market for traditionalists like us.

10 years from now all the modern made DE razors will be on ebay for cheap because something new and improved has come out.

+1! I am not changing how I shave (and plan to lay in sufficient supplies to assure this is possible regardless of the market)!

Communication will definitely change.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the green market as a possible factor down the road. It seems more and more of the younger generation is interested in zero waste and conservation and i’ve seen a lot of videos touting the near zero waste of DE and SE shaving. I think the OP is right that the “barbershop trend” will wear off but i think it’ll be offset by those interested in a less wasteful way of shaving. That’s not to say i care about the green movement in shaving (if i’m being honest i don’t) but i think it’ll help keep the niche market for DE and SE razors about the same as it is now 10 years down the road. One BIG change i do think may happen is carts making their way into places like india and other countries still using DE’s so i think we may see the amount of different blade brands decline.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the green market as a possible factor down the road. It seems more and more of the younger generation is interested in zero waste and conservation and i’ve seen a lot of videos touting the near zero waste of DE and SE shaving. I think the OP is right that the “barbershop trend” will wear off but i think it’ll be offset by those interested in a less wasteful way of shaving. That’s not to say i care about the green movement in shaving (if i’m being honest i don’t) but i think it’ll help keep the niche market for DE and SE razors about the same as it is now 10 years down the road. One BIG change i do think may happen is carts making their way into places like india and other countries still using DE’s so i think we may see the amount of different blade brands decline.

This is not a slam against green, but I really think it's more of a fad at the moment. There will still be those concerned about waste both from an environmental and aesthetic viewpoint, but marketing-wise, I think it will be replaced by something new. Just what that might be, I have no idea.

Furthermore, I believe that there will be demand for Wolfman razors, on the secondary market, but James won't be making razors anymore, he will be out of business. His current business model is questionable anyway. His razors will be for the elite of the shavers and will change hands for 1k at best.
Nah, I'll just download the plans for $9.99 and print one off whenever I get a chance.

I think going green will be the future getting glass bottles back, no more carts just plain ole DE razors and blades come as they do now.
It is in the last 30 years where we have been forced to use plastic, with them telling us how good it is for the environment. If you look back we was green, we reused everything including nappy's, milk bottles including pop bottles.

Plastic will faze out big time and as for Communication & fourms it will be all done on video from the back of your arm....

As for shaving brushes we will still have Badger and Boar, but we will lose the Synthetic seeing that is a plastic your soaps will come in a cardboard box or wooden bowl like most do now.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The old stand by's will still be in business like Merkur, Muhle, Parker, EJ, and Fatip. Proraso, TFS, Mitchels, TOBS, SV, MdC, etc., all the usual's will still be in business. Some Artisan's will stop production for any variety of reasons. Blades will still be available and cheap. The landscape will pretty much be as it is now. If I left and came back it would take a minute to catch up on what the new soap or razor of the day is.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I expect several market changes and changes in designs. The current modern designs will evolve and become even better. Prices will drop as competition increases. B&B will still be a leader in all areas.

So I want 22mm at the largest and enjoy a loft under about 52mm. The ones I just looked at in 22mm in size say Plisson for the knot which looks a lot like what Supply and Captains choice are using for knots. Not sure, but if they are the same I would not be interested.

il_fullxfull.1599898503_5q0a_540x.jpg

APShaveCo

I can predict the quality of the soaps will improve even more to the point where they will simply dissolve your beard while rejuvenating your skin.

They've already got this....

"Gentle and moisturizing, it removes facial hair below the skin’s surface. Plus it gently exfoliates, leaving skin smooth and radiant."

Attachments

• nair.png
    nair.png
    185.4 KB · Views: 10
I take a more optimistic stance than the OP... Artisans will always come and go. Being an artisan is not (often) a persuit for capitalistic success, so you'll have people shine for a few years and then fade away. That's nothing new. As communication becomes easier, the hobby will be able to spread more easily. And as technology improves, making and distributing hardware will only become easier.

As niche hobbies go, I don't see this one going anywhere beyond the ebb and flow of any hobby...

I see it going one of two ways. Either carts take off in places like India so getting DE blades may get harder with fewer choices. Or the environmental movement success and not only will DE become popular again, but straights will become more common.

I don’t think soaps and creams will be any harder to find, but favorite artisans and scents will fade away and be replaced with new ones.

I think there will be a lot more people interested in this hobby. I believe that we will have a lot more new and improved stuff to try out! I'm excited to see what will become of it! :thumbup:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not a bad looking brush. Probably a little bigger than I want. I would ask this. How does it feel compared to a Muhle Silvertip Fibre when comparing backbone? How does it compare to the RazoRock 400 Plissoft for backbone.

Its a little bigger than I'd like too. I'd prefer a 20mm myself.

I havent used an APShaveCo brush, yet. @Raven Koenes has and is slowly convincing me to try one. I use a 22mm Maggard Plissoft for every shave and have been for the last year. I'd appreciate a bit more back bone and a bit stiffer brush all around but without sacrificing any softness. I think the APShaveCo brushes will give that.

When I asked him about the APShaveCo SilkSmoke

il_fullxfull.1453767519_pjio_540x.jpg

How would you compare the SilkSmoke to the Plissoft?

he said this.

Better...just better. It has a better feel and it loads soap equally as well.

Even though I think I'd prefer a 20mm, I may buy that 24mm SilkSmoke. The only reason I havent yet is because I dont need another brush, but like I said, I might anyway.

I don't think it will ever be a mainstream thing. I hear crickets whenever I mention shaving as a hobby. I will be happy if I an still on this side of the grass in ten years and can still get supplies.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Its a little bigger than I'd like too. I'd prefer a 20mm myself.

I havent used an APShaveCo brush, yet. @Raven Koenes has and is slowly convincing me to try one. I use a 22mm Maggard Plissoft for every shave and have been for the last year. I'd appreciate a bit more back bone and a bit stiffer brush all around but without sacrificing any softness. I think the APShaveCo brushes will give that.

When I asked him about the APShaveCo SilkSmoke

View attachment 1021495

he said this.

Even though I think I'd prefer a 20mm, I may buy that 24mm SilkSmoke. The only reason I havent yet is because I dont need another brush, but like I said, I might anyway.
I wouldn't say it has more backbone than the Maggard 22mm Synth. I said it was better. It's noticeably softer and the splay behaves more like a badger while being as efficient as a synth. For more back bone look to the Omega S-brush. It has good solid backbone but sacrifices splay.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Makers and retailers will come and go. Government interventions might impede one country buying products made in another, or certain ingredients may be outlawed. People will still want great shaves though, and be prepared to invest the time and effort to learn and use traditional methods. Whether the number of those people increases or decreases, the market will regulate and adjust accordingly. I have o concerns for the future of great shaves.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Will having 1000 tubs of soap become the norm? Will prices go up or down?
That in itself is an interesting proposition given some of the issues with the superfatted artisan soaps turning lately. I wouldn't feel to bad if I had 10 pucks of Williams go bad, but 10 tubs of GD, well that's another story and some folks have much much more than that.

Top Bottom