What's new

The history of the Heljestrand "M.K." series

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
There’s a No 130 and No 140. The 130 is a 6/8, the 140 is 7/8-8/8.
2E2B1AF7-65C3-4D6E-8F42-D2E2785BBF67.jpeg
A5CD0337-56BE-4D51-B069-EBF0B3004DAA.jpeg

i assume you mean the 24 and you are absolutely right. The “oem” edges and my honed ones have been ridiculous. It was part of 7 razor roll, but not with day markings :(
Indeed I did. It's Friday afternoon here and it's been a long and hectic work week. The 24 5/8 was a very late production razor.

Just some information so you don't buy a duplicate one (unless you want another one): Before the Heljestrand 5/8 quarter hollow was sold as No.24 5/8 it had been sold as:
  • No.23 (most "common")
  • No.41
  • No.42
  • No.923 (mostly for surgical use)
  • In the later part of the 1970's it was given another name that I've forgotten. It could have been "Viking".
There was also a quarter hollow 6/8 version sold as No.22. The bestseller through all years was however the No.24 4/8, a great razor that still can be had for not too much money.

In any case I hope you'll enjoy that very fine razor. :)

This has been great information on the MKs. I just picked up an MK no.6 for $50 (CDA$s). Lovely shape, it just needed a bit of rubbing with Mother's Mag Cleaner and has hardly any bevel nor wear.

The funny thing is that when I got home, I googled "Heljestrand straight razor" and up popped PolarBeard's profile picture.

Thanks for all your information @Polarbeard! I now have a Heljestrand No.24 and a Tornblom, with a MK 31 on the way, and you are to thank (or blame) for that! All these history lessons are probably why I own a bunch of beat-up vintage SRs instead of 2-3 really nice new ones. I keep thinking about a Korat 14.2 but then I see some beater with the faded stamping “ESKILSTUNA” or “LITTLE VALLEY” on it and I just can’t resist!😂

This has been great information on the MKs. I just picked up an MK no.6 for $50 (CDA$s). Lovely shape, it just needed a bit of rubbing with Mother's Mag Cleaner and has hardly any bevel nor wear.

The funny thing is that when I got home, I googled "Heljestrand straight razor" and up popped PolarBeard's profile picture.
So now I'm a celebrity! I'll put on some perfume comb my hair and wait by the door for the female fans to come by.:ihih: :ladysman: Then again ladies in dire need to shave...

So now I'm a celebrity! I'll put on some perfume comb my hair and wait by the door for the female fans to come by.:ihih: :ladysman: Then again ladies in dire need to shave...

Hmmm that's a good idea you standing at the front door, and I will stand on the corner with a 50mm saying I will get his collection
of razors......:cuppa::cuppa::cuppa::cuppa::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::a11::a11::a11:

Top Bottom