What's new

The Highlander Thread, There Can Be Only One...

If you had to pick only one Straight Razor Finisher for the rest of your days what would it be? Pics and reasons welcome!

My vote would be for my JNAT. It is effortless to use and versatile, while providing the nicest feel and feedback of any stone I own. The edges it produces are the perfect combination of super sharp and comfortable. I have yet to find a steel this stone doesn't quickly make best friends with.

IMG_20210116_154407.jpg

Welsh purple slate used with Singer sewing machine oil. Repeated results off a 1k/3k Suehiro > coticule (water only) > Welsh purple used with Singer sewing machine oil progression have brought me to this conclusion. Nothing sexy to post, visual-wise.

If you had to pick only one Straight Razor Finisher for the rest of your days what would it be? Pics and reasons welcome!

My vote would be for my JNAT. It is effortless to use and versatile, while providing the nicest feel and feedback of any stone I own. The edges it produces are the perfect combination of super sharp and comfortable. I have yet to find a steel this stone doesn't quickly make best friends with.

View attachment 1210005

Can you be more specific about what type of Jnat you own and what type of rock it is etc...
Where also did you purchase it?

I am looking for a good Jnat

Thx you

Jnats as well. Can't pick one, different stones work better with different razors. What I though was a bulletproof finisher didnt do as well as another stone on stainless steel for example. Of course maybe it was a different progression, maybe I had a bad day honing.

Can you be more specific about what type of Jnat you own and what type of rock it is etc...
Where also did you purchase it?

I am looking for a good Jnat

Thx you

I bought this from another collector it is supposedly a Nakayama Iromono Suita, Lv4+. Not 100% on the provenance but it sure is a performer. A better pic below.

There are plenty of reputable vendors that can help you out, including:
  • TomoNagura - Etsy
  • JNS - Maksim
  • and others with a quick search.

116583828_979533895830711_6689070260038668831_n.png

This is a tough one and I’m glad that I will never have to choose just one. I enjoy the edges that’s I get from all my naturals be it the Jnat, Thuri, Ark or Coti.

My favorite finish, when I manage to nail it, is the Jnat. It is also the most difficult one for me to repeat.

If I had to pick just one of my stones it would probably be the 8x3x1 Black Ark from Dan’s. The stone is a great size, nice and square, no wobble. Once lapped it stays flat for a long time. The edges are always super sharp, comfortable and consistent.

6A8C3492-71DD-43DA-9F1A-FA5D3E034A81.jpeg

Currently going ILR to black Ark. Still pretty new at this. I’ve had at least 6 razors where I’ve stropped leather after black Ark and shaved, then gone back and done the pasted balsa progression. All were noticeably sharper after the pasted balsa. They shaved fine off of the black Ark, but got better. I do believe that the black Ark edges are improving with practice, slowly closing the gap.

I have to try one of these PDSO one of these days, I like the way they look, but trying to find one that is on the larger side is difficult.

I have to try one of these PDSO one of these days, I like the way they look, but trying to find one that is on the larger side is difficult.

Yeah they don't come around very often. I saw one I think this year in a decent size and got sniped on it at the last minute. My fault for bidding too early I guess. For a few years I refused to sell any of mine, lately I have been selling my smaller ones but I'm still holding on to all the larger ones just because they are so hard to come by.

Though honestly if you're willing to get a little spendy you can get them when they come up... I don't think I've ever seen one go over $125, and an Escher in the same size would have fetched $200-$500. They've always seemed to sell for about coticule prices, so I think the majority of people bidding on them mistake them for coticules. It's not so much at they are high demand like good Jnat and Eschers.... they're just really really really low supply.

Nice what Jnat stone is that?

a simple Shobudani Asagi Awesedo. the only one i own right now, but honestly I'd have to argue with myself at length to justify buying another.......I like this one very much and have gotten to know it very well. I hand hone so any geometry or slight imperfections of angle cuts, slopes, wobble, etc do not bother me in the slightest. the only time I don't hand hold a stone is during bevel set......the 1.5k Kuromaku sits atop its plastic box 📦 or holder for that work.

camo

Top Bottom