What's new

The hidden danger of NOS blades

I got my ugliest-ever shaving injury this morning, and it wasn't on my face. I found a NOS 10-pack of Gillette Super Blue blades at an antique mall last week, and I decided to bust them out and see how they shave. They're in a plastic dispenser, and I found that the blades had become stuck together through the twenty-some years they had been sitting in that dispenser. In response to my effort to dislodge the top blade, the edges of the interior slot sliced through my thumb in parallel grooves. I now have a little racing stripe etched into my thumb. :cursing:

I checked the remaining 9 blades after my shave this morning (which was okay, but really not worth the annoying flesh wound), and they were still halfway-fused together in the dispenser. (With bits of my thumb adorning them.) I threw the miserable thing in the trash.

Blades in the plastic dispensers that aren't wrapped in paper are usually coated in mineral oil to prevent rusting, sticking together, etc. Over time, the mineral oil and thicken and become sticky. Not sure exactly what would work well but soaking the blades in some fresh mineral oil might dislodge them. You may also try opening up the dispenser to remove the blades.

You may also try opening up the dispenser to remove the blades.

Oh that would work well. Then you end up with a stack of stuck together sharp objects that you can pry on to get apart

If you have vintage pack of blades and can't get them out to use, set them aside and put them in a cased vintage razor to complete the set

Sure enough you will find a cased birth date/quarter razor that is missing the same type of blade you just threw away :lol:

All of the NOS blades I have encountered have been very old, and wrapped either in waxy paper, or regular paper. YMMV, of course. Sorry to hear about your thumb, hope it heals well and soon!

$jan8-macys.jpg
$KingGillette.jpg

Last edited:
I had a pack of Bleue Extras do that to me... both thumbs. I run them under hot water for 10-15 seconds, now.
-- Chet

Oh that would work well. Then you end up with a stack of stuck together sharp objects that you can pry on to get apart

If you have vintage pack of blades and can't get them out to use, set them aside and put them in a cased vintage razor to complete the set

Sure enough you will find a cased birth date/quarter razor that is missing the same type of blade you just threw away :lol:

Yeah, I thought about prying open the dispenser, but the idea of dealing with nine fused blades that would have to be handled, if not actually separated by hand warded me off. As for the birth date razor, these blades were in a package with an ad copyright date of 1987. I'll pass on that razor, thanks. :wink2:

got that tetanus shot up to date?

Yup. One needs to, with this hobby!

I had a pack of Bleue Extras do that to me... both thumbs. I run them under hot water for 10-15 seconds, now.
-- Chet

Not a bad idea — wish I'd known that before my little stunt! My own solution, however, will be not to buy any more NOS blades from antique stores. I love my vintage razors, but I've made my peace with the fact that I prefer my blades to be freshly produced.

Not a bad idea — wish I'd known that before my little stunt! My own solution, however, will be not to buy any more NOS blades from antique stores. I love my vintage razors, but I've made my peace with the fact that I prefer my blades to be freshly produced.

Using a hair dryer is also a possibility. It makes the oil more fluid, so the blades will come loose.

I use lighter fluid to free up old camera shutters - the shutter blades are usually made of blued steel, not unlike some old razors. A few drops usually does the trick.

I have never understood the appeal of NOS blades. They were meant to be disposable. I used them when they were new, new stock and still prefer my blades that way.

I have never gotten a decent shave from a vintage blade anyway. Whenever I find some, I just PIF them to some of the gents here that collect vintage blades.

Top Bottom