What's new

The Heritage Collection brushes on WCS.

Does anybody have one of these? I am an absolute sucker for this nostalgia based stuff. These brushes didn't exist a few years ago when I was really into wet shaving, or I'd have had a full stable of them. If you have one, post pics!

I bought it directly from Neil himself. Got it a bit cheaper because of the cosmetic difference but I still enjoy it a lot. Used it for today's SOTD.

SOTD 06192020.jpg

That's beautiful. So, is he turning these out of new material, or are they restorations and re-knots? I love them either way.

That's beautiful. So, is he turning these out of new material, or are they restorations and re-knots? I love them either way.
I believe he has a supplier for the handles/knots if I'm not mistaken. I think he polishes them and also gels the badger/boar knots to make them broken in/soft from the get go.

Pretty sure (from looking at his site) these are new reproductions, not restorations.

I like the looks of them. Something a little different to what most brushmakers are doing these days.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What are the knots (badgers) like? Who makes 'em? Where are they from? Etc?

The WCS description says "gel," but what does that mean? Is it gel like the AP Shave Gelousy? Are the tips hard and crunchy when they've been wet and allowed to dry (like the Gelousy)?

Happy shaves,

Jim

The WCS description says "gel," but what does that mean? Is it gel like the AP Shave Gelousy? Are the tips hard and crunchy when they've been wet and allowed to dry (like the Gelousy)?

Happy shaves,

Jim
It says on the site, "Loaded with a knot in WCS finest badger hair." I don't know how much it gels but people who have the WCS 3-band knots like it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Check out this thread... gel tip brushes - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gel-tip-brushes.589691/

You'll see in there that Neil gels his own brushes and I've seen them listed as an option on his site... There is a 3 part video that I think is in the above thread on how he does it and also who's knots are best to use.

Ive seen these brushes in the past and really liked the vintage look of them but they arent cheap. $60 for a synthetic and $80-$100 for a badger? Yikes.
I get that theyre hand-made and everything but so was my $20 Simpson Trafalgar.

Ive seen these brushes in the past and really liked the vintage look of them but they arent cheap. $60 for a synthetic and $80-$100 for a badger? Yikes.
I get that theyre hand-made and everything but so was my $20 Simpson Trafalgar.
I mean, Simpson also sells synthetic and badgers from $100 - $300. It's good to have options.

I agree, I just dont think that any synthetic is worth $60, unless maybe a Wolf Whiskers that is a full customizable, one of a kind brush.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Heh, I get what you're saying. I have the Omega EVO that was ~$65, and I can't see myself spending more. What might be considered odd is that in the past, I have not blinked to spend more than $300 for quality badger brushes, so it's not because I'm particularly frugal.

Heh, I get what you're saying. I have the Omega EVO that was ~$65, and I can't see myself spending more. What might be considered odd is that in the past, I have not blinked to spend more than $300 for quality badger brushes, so it's not because I'm particularly frugal.
What they get for their badger brushes actually isn't bad.
I've got a small Omega brush in silvertip that my wife bought me and it's a wonderful little brush. I believe she paid around $100 for it.
I just struggle with synthetics that are more than $40. Theres so many great options in synthetic that are dirt cheap.
To be fair though, Heritage is an artisan brush maker who doesn't turn out thousands of brushes every year and no one else is really making reproduction vintage brushes. PAA is close but even those are just similar and they are inspired by vintage brushes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom