What's new

The Hawk Razor & some additional thoughts on shaving in the future.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I now have eight (8) shaves under my belt with the Black Hawk v1 using a KAI Mild blade. I normally get about 10-12 shaves using this blade in a Feather AC, so figured I would get the same or maybe a few more from it with the Hawk. Alas, after seven (7) shaves on a the blade, the tugginess of the shave meant it was done. I'll load a KAI ProTouch in for tomorrow and see how that goes.

As for the razor, it is a mild but effective shaver. Its light weight doesn't bother me at all and it shaves like a mild Injector with a wider head. That's great for the cheeks but the smaller headed injector is easier on the upper lip.

While I can see this delivered a result that could make it my daily driver, the blade longevity (i.e. cost) will be a determining factor as to whether that actually happens or not.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yup, a fresh blade (KAI ProTouch) seems to make a world of difference in terms of how easy it is to get a wonderful result.

After having just recently purchased a Hawk, (thanks in part to this thread) and using it for two weeks, I've found my daily driver. I wasn't sold at first in its stock configuration, but once I made the switch to a stainless Ikon Bulldog handle, for me that all the difference. However, it seems to me to be a strange razor in the fact that it has an extremely mild face feel, yet the shave closeness resembles an aggressive DE. I think this is largely due to the blades. I've been using Feather Pros in it, the first lasted a week and I'm still going on the second. I expect blade longevity to increase with experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My KAI ProTouch blade lasted 13 shaves in the Black Hawk and I probably could have squeezed one or two more if I had to. About 2 weeks on a blade is the magic number for me to make this a candidate as either a daily driver or in a small rotation, and it looks like it might be there.

I am normally a 2-pass shaver (NS+SN, which is roughly akin to WTG/ATG), but found that adding a middle pass of Ears-nose (pseudo-XTG) has helped out with the final result.

With 21 back-to-back daily shaves under my belt with the Hawk, I can say this this is a mild but effective razor and can easily be used as one's daily shaver of choice. IB produced a nice piece of kit with this one.

My KAI ProTouch blade lasted 13 shaves in the Black Hawk and I probably could have squeezed one or two more if I had to. About 2 weeks on a blade is the magic number for me to make this a candidate as either a daily driver or in a small rotation, and it looks like it might be there.

I am normally a 2-pass shaver (NS+SN, which is roughly akin to WTG/ATG), but found that adding a middle pass of Ears-nose (pseudo-XTG) has helped out with the final result.

With 21 back-to-back daily shaves under my belt with the Hawk, I can say this this is a mild but effective razor and can easily be used as one's daily shaver of choice. IB produced a nice piece of kit with this one.

They sure did. How they seem to manage to do so while keeping costs where they are is beyond me. Although now it's got me wanting The stainless steel version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom