What's new

The Hawk Razor & some additional thoughts on shaving in the future.

On a whim about a week ago I purchased a RazoRock Hawk. I had wanted the stainless steel model, however that was sold out. So I bought the aluminum version. It arrived yesterday. Since the debut of the Mongoose, I've been fascinated with the use of the Artist Club blades, wondering how they would shave and if they would be an improvement on the existing formats. I've previously dabbled with all three formats; DE, SE/Gem, & Shick Injector.

While I own more razors than one guy needs, as a point of reference my long ongoing rotation, consists of; the Gem 1912, Gillette “Old Type” (thick cap), and a Merkur Slant. I've discovered I don't much care for the Schick Injector format, mainly due to their in-precise blade loading system, difficulty in cleaning and the light weight of their razors. It is that last point which gave me some concern in ordering the aluminum Hawk. While not quite as light as the Schick razors, it was lighter than I was comfortable with. I was able to rationalize the purchase by the option of being able to replace the handle with one having more heft if need be. Also this would give me an idea if I like this shaving format and razor should the stainless steel version become available.

Outside of the plastic multi-blade cart, which we all detest, shaving innovation has mostly been at a standstill since the 70's if not longer. That is until recently, as you all know we have been fortunate to be experiencing a renaissance in shaving hardware. Companies like RazoRock, Above The Tie, Maggard Razors and others have been offering newly designed razors at an astounding rate. We no longer, in the case of DE's, need to rely on vintage Gillette’s if we don't want to. There are a wealth of new “open combs”, safety bars & slant razors, made out of all sorts of materials, now being offered to suit every taste. Even the “Injector” format has a company offering a modern updated alternative. The SE/Gem format has not fared as well. But in place of it we have a 21st century alternative to the SE of the past. It is based on the “Feather Artist Club” blade and if the Hawk is any example it may be the biggest innovation to hit the world of wet shaving since “stainless steel” blades.

The improvement in the quality of shave is nothing short revolutionary. This has everything to do with the blade and less so with the handle you put it in. We currently have at least a half dozen razors that accept these blades so this is not a “one off” experiment. Modern SE shaving is here to stay and evolve.

The blade is very sharp, previously the crown of sharpest blade belonged to the “Schick Injector system”, but no longer. I started with the Feather Pro model and it gave me an effortless shave that I could only achieve with a DE under ideal conditions and with a lot more work. I bought a sample set of blades from “Try A Blade”, ordering all the recommended blades, plus the non-recommended one. So in the coming weeks I will be giving these a try, to see which is best for me.

Is the Hawk a perfect razor? No. For some it will be; too long, too light, too wide, to shiny or not shiny enough. What it is, is a gateway to what the future of shaving looks like, feels like and can be. The Hawk razor itself really shines for a $25 razor, I don't know how you could expect much more. It is no surprise that it is lighter in weight and eventually I will probably put on a more robust handle so it feels more like my other razors, which is something I did with my “Old Type”. The other thing that will take a little adjustment is the width of the blade. The Hawk is likely not as precision as some of its more expensive brothers but here we are really splitting hairs. I'm impressed at its build, I don't think anyone would be disappointed, based on cost vs. quality. This is really a tribute to Joe at RazoRock / Italian Barber and his dedication to bringing the finest to the wet shaving community at an affordable price.

I urge any of you who are curious about the Feather Art Club SE format and have been on the fence, like I was, due to the price to give this a try and see. As for myself I believe this is the future of wet shaving, so much so that I will be liquidating my various Schick Injectors and hoping that a Stainless Steel Hawk finds its way to me soon. . . . . . What are your thoughts?

The Hawk is the best cheap razor in my arsenal and it's the second best single-edge. Actually, from a performance standpoint, the Hawk is better than many razors costing seven times the price.

I only have one safety razor, Dave - a B3 Mongoose that I chose because it seemed to me those Artists' Club blades were almost certain to be the best. I got 22 shaves from a KAI Captain Titan Mild in February; I'm currently up to 11 on the Feather Pro in the razor now. I think though that 14 or so is likely to become the norm. If your technique is good, there's no reason you can't get plenty of shaves out of these.

The irony is, I have a bid in on an ATT R1 DE! Am I going backwards?!?!?

Toyospike - that's good news, I'm hoping for 14 days (two weeks) although I do like a good sharp blade. Have you tried the "Feather Pro Super"?

I still love the Slant razors, so don't think you are going backwards. When I returned to B&B which I'd been gone from for quite a while, I initially was attracted to the RR Wunderbar but it's just too expensive for me. I do so hope I can snag a SS Hawk, that would make my day.

Good luck. Hard for me to imagine there's anything sharper than a Feather Pro (though KAIs seem smoother). Haven't tried the Supers yet. I seem to have 5 years of KAI Mild & Feather Pros here . . .

The longevity of these blades is nothing short of amazing. I'm on my 14th, 2 pass shave this morning and still getting great results. As a point of reference I normally only get approx 7 out of a GEM-SE, or DE blade.

Not sure if I got a bad batch of Feather pros, but I don't find these blades extremely sharp. First use was on Tuesday.

Tuesday and Wednesday, I used the Hawk for the first time. Today I used the General for the first time. I was able to get a irritation and blood free BBS face and head everywhere except my soul patch and above my lip where the blade really struggled. It took more strokes than I do with a fresh DE blade. I went over the soul patch so many times that I had to stop, not for fear of irritation or blood loss, simply because it wouldn't mow it down. Plenty of blade feel, but I'm not impressed with the pro blades. I'll give the pro super try and see how they perform.

The Hawk is a mild razor. You may be experiencing that mildness, rather than a dull blade.

The Pro Super isn't any sharper than the Pro, but it is thicker and wider, increasing blade gap and blade exposure. I think you'll like it.

--Bob

I agree totally with the OP. I admit, I was skeptical of AC razors and blades. I thought nothing would come close to straight, since thus far nothing had. After having used the ATT SE razor I'll readily admit that these razors and blades shave every bit as well as my beloved straight. And they have the added bonus of none of the maintenance. They certainly are a game changer, well, at least for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hawk is one of the best buys in shaving today. It is built quite well with close tolerances. The low price is just an added bonus. You can't go wrong with this razor. I use a Feather Pro in all my artist club type razors and it gives a great close BBS every time.

The Hawk is one of the best buys in shaving today. It is built quite well with close tolerances. The low price is just an added bonus. You can't go wrong with this razor. I use a Feather Pro in all my artist club type razors and it gives a great close BBS every time.
Curious how many shaves you get per Feather Pro blade in that setup?

Mine is on its way. Supposedly I'll have it next Wednesday. We'll see.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Heh heh - you said it all. I have 100s of DE blades from 2014 - more than enough to last a long time[emoji79][emoji23]
But I'm ready to trade if the Shavepocalypse arrives[emoji28]

Top Bottom