What's new

The Handwritten Thread

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
My first post here.

handwriting_2.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, after two weeks, I'm happy I can at least read my own handwriting! That's some progress, believe me. So now I want to take it to the next step and really improve my penmanship. I found an online YouTube course and then discovered these French "Seyes ruled" PDF templates. They're designed to help you get your line and size discipline up to snuff. While my writing was at least legible, the line was ... well calling it a line is being generous, and my letters vary a lot in size. There is a formula using these sheets to help you get that under control. You can learn about it here.

The template for the ruled sheet is here:

I did not get a fancy notebook with this in it, it is plain HP 20 lb copy paper, but they make a Premium24 laser paper that would likely work better, I may get some. Pen was Lamy Al-Star F nib, ink was Lamy blue cartridge. I won't post too often, I figure once or twice a month will better show progress than too often. But I thought this was a great aid to share.

handwriting3_2.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Please, DO NOT take this too seriously... :clown:

20220128_014623.jpg

... and yes, I am well aware that my photography skills are as poor as my handwriting :lol:

Hello Eric, I really like your penmanship- can you tell me how you came to write like this? Are there particular guides, tools, paper, pen, ink, tutorials, that helped you achieve this - beyond your innate talents and, I assume hard work? To my eye your writing has something of the 18th century about it. Thanks, H. Green
87E7C710-C235-4345-9642-71B10204203B.jpeg

My own take on Spencerian Script from the 1800s. Many free resources exist online (including an old manual that is still in publication you can purchase for not much money if you’d prefer a paper copy). I’m still practicing (I can’t flourish very well).
As mentioned above, a flex nib pen is needed to get the line variation.

View attachment 1411364
My own take on Spencerian Script from the 1800s. Many free resources exist online (including an old manual that is still in publication you can purchase for not much money if you’d prefer a paper copy). I’m still practicing (I can’t flourish very well).
As mentioned above, a flex nib pen is needed to get the line variation.
Eric, Thank you! I’ll look into your advice, I think an Ahab (and a lot of practice) is in my future. Best, Henry

The language of the Matrix.
😁
Never saw any of the Matrix films, but many years ago, when my wife and I living in an apartment on Haight Street in S.F., I ran into Keanu Reeves standing on the sidewalk - obviously stoned out of his mind, in front of our place. He said he was okay, so I left him be. I’ve always regretted that I didn’t have him in for a cup of tea.

Top Bottom